1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42pd5200 - DVI question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by edinburgh160, Jan 27, 2005.

1. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

hoping someone can clear this up, but when I link up the PannyS97 with HDMI-DVI cable I get 2 choices in the setup.

one is DVI-PC and the other one is DVI-STB (is this Set Top Box)
    I was using the default DVI-PC and only noticed this recently as the manual is very vague. I know the plasme is HDCP compliant, would it be something to do with if you use a PC's (being non compliant).

Does anyone know the difference, or confirm which one to use ?

I noticed that the tweaking options where far more numerous in the STB mode and minimum options for tweaking in the DVIPC mode.
    Sure I should be using the STB mode, which also has a great picture
    Hope you can help.

thanks

Kenny

2. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kenny m8 got the same plasma as you but just feeling my way round it presently I do not have a DVD player wih DVI connectivity as yet but my feelings would be to go withe the stb mode to give you more tweakability
    hope this makes sense

3. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks tradesman. I called Hitatchi tech. support (just out of interest), and he said that you only use DVI-PC for (funnily enough) a PC which is non HDCP compliant.
    He recommended using DVI-STB as the Plasma and DVD were HDCP compliant and as you rightly state has more options.

cheers

4. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good idea that edinburgh160 m8 phoning hitachi keep us informed on your progress ie:- pq etc as I am on the lookout for a DVD upgrade and the S97 wouldnt break the bank though I could wait and go for one with hard drive & recording

5. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have played about with it, using settings posted by Duncan in the Hitachi thread (some great advice on that thread), and the PQ results were excellent. Looking at The Fifth Element which is always a good title for PQ the scenes where they fly out in the city etc looked fantastic, as did Shrek2. I'm pretty new to all this mind, but I think it is a great player for the cash, but there are others in the market that people use and rate highly also. Downside as you say is that it isn't recordable, but my budget was pretty tight (wife put the brakes on after buying the screen, as we have SKY+. :thumbsdow )

Cheers