1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5200 Connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gazgits, Jan 11, 2005.

1. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all, I have just purchased my first plasma, the above mentioned screen. I'm now wondering how best to connect my equipment to it.
    At the moment I have my pace freeview box connected by scart RGB to AV4, picture is good on most channels although dissapoining on some (mainly bbc).
    My pany dvd is connected by s-video to AV3. (PQ is v good but i believe it could be better).
    So here are my questions.

1. If I opted for syk instead of freeview would i notice an improvement in PQ
    2. Would In get a better picture by using a scart to component cable from the freeview box. If so could you reccomend some good cables.
    3. The s-video cable i,m using is a very basic one so once again could you reccomend a good make.

Thank you

2. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I can't answer your questions, but do have the same plasma as you.
    I connect SKY+ with AV4 (RGB Scart - Ixos). it is an excellent picture on most SKY broadcasts, but like you some programs (especially the BBC) are frustratingly poor - most notebly the likes of Eastenders. There are other threads about this (see my profile and other posts , as I started one and got good reply's). It's not you plasma or connections, it would appear to be auntie beeb. Also, like you my plasma is new and it takes a couple of months I believe to properly bed in, so it will probably get better.
    I would recommend a good RGB scart for SKY as you will (if like me) watch alot through SKY.

For my DVD, I am about to get a Panasonic S97, which will take a HDMi lead to DVId (tv) for hopefully fantastic picture. Sound will have to go through an amp though as the HDMI-DVID cable doesn't transmit sound, only picture.
    I used to have a DVD player hooked through Component, and as far as I'm led to believe if you dont have a HDMI or DVDI player but do have compnent then thats the best to go for. Again, I got good leads Qunex SR-CV1 and was pleased with results. If you dont have Component on your DVD then probably an RGB enabled Scart switchbox is what to go for and share SKY.

The rule of thumb seems to be get really good cables, but be careful as some are rip offs. Probably the cabling forum will be able to help you out with this

My Xbox is connected through S-Video, and pretty good picture (certainly better than composite).

As I said, I'm also very new to this, but you get really good help from a lot of people who will hopefully advise you better than I could.

enjoy the screen, as I think its great.

3. gazgits

gazgits

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok thans for your reply, I obviously have a lot to learn.

4. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a bit of a minefield, and hard to take everything in and scares the hell out of me sometimes (the knowledge people seem to have about this stuff), alot of jargon really confuses me, but I try to keep it pretty basic as I can't afford to go for the really high end stuff.