1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5200 and 42PD5200H differences

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by busterman, Jul 27, 2005.

1. busterman

busterman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I purchased a Hitachi 42PD5200H this week. However, when it arrived it was a 42PD5200. I've spoken to the company, and they advise there is no difference in the models, and there are no issues with SKY HDTV compatibility, as any SKY HDTV signal can go through the component.

I've spoken to Hitachi, and they say that the non H model receives only a 720p/60 signal through the DVI, whereas the H model receives only a 720p/50 signal through the DVI, which Sky will transmit HDTV at.

However, and this is where I got confused, they said that in either case the screen will accept the 1080i signal through the component. However SKY have siad they will transmit at 1080i/25, whereas the non H model receives at 1080i/50

I'm confused. Am I going to be able to get SKY HD through either screen? Are the systems compatible with 1080i through the component?

2. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First, you should definitely not opt for the 5200 over the 5200H. The retailer is wrong - the 5200H adds in 720p/50Hz compatability over DVI, and this is essential to use Sky's HD.

Second, both sets will accept 1080i over component.

So ask your retailer to send out a swap right away. By the way, who was it?

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    180i at 50Hz is 1080 @ 25fps
    and even the H is not "HD ready" but should work with sky either way you oreder a 5200H dont accpet anything less (except may be a 7200 for the same money)

4. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheeky sods

5. busterman

busterman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure I want to say who it is until they've taken the screen back and initiated a refund. Mind you, if they don't do either, I'll just take it back myself and dispute the charge.

But at this stage, I'm not clear what they intend to do as the chap's accent is so thick he's hard to understand. He wants to call Hitachi, presumably to get a replacement set. If he doesn't get back in touch tomorrow, I shall call and offer him one last chance to collect the screen himself.

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Busterman, how many scarts does the set have?

7. busterman

busterman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just the one.

Why do you ask?

8. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why is it ESSENTIAL to use SKY HD, u can use 1080i@50hz through component on the pd5200. The Sky HD website specifically says:

'The TV must be capable of displaying either 1080i/25 or 720p/50

which based on that means the HD service will work with my pd5200 :clap:

9. busterman

busterman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, but if your 5200 will take a 1080i/50 signal, and SKY HD will broadcast at 1080i/25, doesn't that mean they'll be incompatible?

10. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    horny dragon, I take it 1080i@50hz is the same as 1080i@25hz, going by your comments, is that right??

11. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think this thread answers the question, basically it should be compatible :rotfl:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228244&page=2

(read further down the page)

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    how can that be so? that makes no sense but interlaced video in fps is not the same as Hz. 25fps is 50Hz

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I wouldn'tbuy a screen based on that statement as all the info i have seen states that there wont be an option to select output res. the FAQ onn the sky site does hint at this but until we see boxes there is no guarentees

14. AndreiM

AndreiM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this exact same issue this week with a dodgy retailer trying to convince me that the 5200 and 5200H are the same. To put the argument to rest I contacted Hitachi and their response is below. Further proof should be that the 5200H comes with a voucher for a free portable DVD in the box and the 5200 is not valid with this offer from Hitachi. If a retailer has sent you a 5200 instead of the H your claim for the free portable will be rejected by them.

The main point is the H should be fine with any of SKY's Hi-Def transmissions.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

The difference between the 5200E and the 5200H is as follows. The 5200 can accept 1080i @ 50 / 60 and 720p @60. The 5200H can also accept 720p @ 50 through the DVI input only. It is HD Compatible.

I apologise for any inconvenience or dissatisfaction this matter may have caused you but trust that the above information has helped to clarify the situation.

Regards

Consumer Affairs Team
    Hitachi (Europe) Ltd
    England, UK.

15. nm10721

nm10721
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got to be honest I don't know who or what to believe, lets just wait and see!

Probably just get a scaler, hopefully that will solve any problems with Sky HD and my Hitachi PD5200

16. cridl

cridl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Please can someone tell me how to recognise the difference between the "H" and the "none H" versions of this TV. I have been shown what I was told was the "H" from the front and there seemed to be nothing to distinguish it as an "H"

17. efendi

efendi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

doubt you'll distinguish these models from the front. There is a big white marking on the rear only - at least on mine standard 42PD5200E.

Petr

18. evilhamster

evilhamster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just received my 5200 today. I am also trying to check that it is an "H". The label on the packing box and the TV says 5200E, but on both the box and the TV is an additional large H sticker on its own, after the model number (the H sticker has no other markings on it). Can someone else with an H confirm that this is how theirs looks?

Also, I thought the H had an additional DVI socket, mine only has one.

Cheers.

19. AndreiM

AndreiM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Evil Hamster

That is how mine looked........basically the box and back of the set have a big H added to denote it has been upgraded. There is no other discernable feature other than it will support 720p 50Hz via the DVI which you can check if you have the necessary gear. Also you should have received a form to allow you to send off for a free portable DVD player from Hitachi, this is only valid with the H model.

Who did you buy it from?