1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5100 / 5200 / 5300 colour balance settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by davidagodfrey, May 26, 2005.

1. davidagodfrey

davidagodfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have taken delivery of a new Hitachi 42PD5100 and trying to adjust the colour balance. I am more than happy with the pictures from a dvd but would like to adjust the picture to compensate for the 'below-perfect' standard of SKY+.

I am after the opinions of other owners who have the same range of Hitachi plasmas for their settings. I've read the manual but some settings baffle me.

1. Do most people leave the standard settings alone and leave it at that?

2. If you do alter them which parameters are significant and which should be left well alone.

3. If anyone is kind enough to post their settings it would be greatly appreciated. I've fiddled so much with mine, I'm now not sure what's good and what's bad anymore :eek:

It will be interesting to see how everyone else settings compare.

Thanks

2. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    change the settings immediately (from factory) - they are too high.

I have a 5200
    Settings I use (now as good as I think I can get) are as follows -

For SKY+ I use the following -

(on the SKY+ menu it is set to RGB and LOW contrast)

on the plasma I use the following -
    Picture Mode - Natural
    Contrast -1
    Brightness -1
    Colour +2
    Sharpness -5
    Colour Temperature Cool
    Contrast Mode Normal
    YNR - Low
    CNR - Low
    Film Mode - on
    LTI - Low
    CTI - Low
    Black enhancement - off
    Colour Temp Adjustments - off
    Colour Management - off
    Colour Decoding red+33
    green+37
    colour+1

see how you get on, and let me know. cheers

3. davidagodfrey

davidagodfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

I've tried your settings and things are looking pretty good now. As a matter of interest did you find your settings by trial and error or did you take advice from others?

I still find watching footy gives me far from perfect pictures though. Fast moving bright red shirts against green grass does give a shimmering effect around each player sometimes.

Thanks again.

4. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    For setting up my Hitachi i did the following

I used a THX optimiser to start with ,for DVD and Sky (using scart loop through

Then I purchased DVE (PAL) from PLAY , altho Pierro did do them in the DVD power Buy section for about £12 ( think they are reduced at the moment , if he has any left :smashin: ) Used this to set up my DVD over component , then used scart through the Digibox again to try and set levels

Finally courtesy of a thread similar to this on on Digital spy .Stored a channel on the Sky box that broadcast the colour bars .And used the filters that came with DVE to set the individual colour levels . I figured that the colour bars broadcast over Sky , Decoded by the Digibox and sent over scart , would be a more accurate representation that the bars off DVD over 2 lots of scart leads .

Couple of other points
    -Someone elses settings maybe a good place to start , but may not be optimum for your set up.

- A lot depends on the channel ,even the programme thats been broadcast.

good luck , and happy fiddling
    John

5. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no probs. I took alot of advice from the Hitachi thread, and played around alot with my settings (to the point that I didn't know what was for the best). then I realised that it IS a personal thing. I am very happy with my settings, but as the post above says everyone is different.
    Football (I've decided) is a very mixed bag, sometimes its great, other times not so - but I believe alot depends on the source - look at Eastenders for example. I'll never get HDMI quality with SKY and thats annoying as I do watch alot of dvd's and it unfortunately sets your expectations quite high, but for the little TV that I do watch (24 etc) the PQ is pretty good.
    Main thing is (by all accounts) to turn OFF colour management and turn your brightness down. Good luck

6. davidagodfrey

davidagodfrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    DVE = Digital Video esential . Its a Calibration DVD with loads of test paterns . Not a riveting watch , it has to be said. But hours of fiddling
    atb
    John