Dismiss Notice
We're migrating the forum software to the next major version and this will require the site to be down for the best part of Monday 16th.
More details here. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Hitachi 42pd5100/200 + X box 360

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by MarkinStoke, Nov 4, 2005.

1. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will anyone else have this combo on Dec 2nd and if they will, have they found out how to make it work with HD. Hitachi are hopeless have called them three times and all they say is i will need a HDCP so that the component and RGB inputs will display it. they said the TV will accept the signal but will not display it. What a pile of pants that is!!!!
    if you understand this and know what the HDCP thing is i need please explain

Cheere dudes

2. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    xbox 360 will not be using HDCP, the high definition signal will be passed over component and VGA neither of which will be incorporating HDCP. if your panel accept's 720p/60 over component you will be fine, then all that is needed by the panel is to scale to the weirdest resolution ever Alis 1024x1024..evil :devil:

just had a check and it dosnt look like the plasma you own has component input so VGA may be your only option. now it begs the question will it accept 720p (1280x720) over VGA or throw a wobbler because the xbox360 will not 1:1 pixel map with the alis panel

3. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Kopite in the manual it says AV1, AV2 and RGB2 "which appears to be the d-sub connector for Analog" will accept 720p/60 input. but this book says alot of things that are not right.

the AV1 and AV2 are component inputs

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i thought AV1 & AV2 were scart inputs, thats usually the terminology. if you have a modded xbox you can always try it out with a game that supports 720p, that will give you an answer

5. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no Dude,
    AV1 = component
    AV2 = component
    AV3 = S video
    AV4 = scart

RGB1 = DVI
    RGB2 =D-sub

to honest or stupid to get a dodgy box

6. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Sounds like you have standard component inputs on AV1 and AV2. All you need to do then is to connect the HD component cable that comes with the premium package if that is what you're getting into one of these connections. Don't worry about the HDCP as it is irrelevant when it comes to the 360.

7. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    yes its all well and good having component inputs but the display may not accept the signal your sending across component, so to say all you have to do is connect and your away is abit misleading moogle. i confident that the hitachi panel you own will accept 720p/60 over component but it may not

8. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i have my fingers crossed as well as other things, and will have to see on Dec 2nd when the 360 is out. it does say in the manual that 720p and 1080i/50/60 is supported with AV1 and 2 and RGB

I know this is probably a dumb ass question but i will ask it anway.
    How when the component leads are plugged in to the TV would i know if it was HD or not, as i wouldn't have anything to compare it with?

9. ricki1980

ricki1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    The Hitachi 5200 cannot accept 720 @ 50hz through either the DVI or Component Imput hence why this is not sold as a HD Ready Set.

The Xbox 360 will be using 720 and 1080 @ 50hz over conmponent imput.

What this means is that you will be able to play the Xbox360 through component @ 570i / 570p - but if you try and use 720p @50hz you just wont get a picture at all.

Hitachi did make a 5200 - H model that could accept 720 @ 50hz through the DVI again which is no good for Xbox 360.

However the Hitach can accept 1080 @ 50hz so you will just have to hope that all games can be upscaled to this resolution as MS have promised - however that is far from ideal as the image in games designed for 720p will have to be scaled up.

Call Hitachi on 0870-4054405 - This is the reason I sold my 42PD5200....

10. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    ricki its not confirmed that it will be 720p/50 though. i have a sneaky feeling it will be 720p/60 as this is supported on more sets than @ 50hz

11. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I hope its 720/60 , ive a pw7 , pretty sure it doesnt take 720/50 via component :(

I think the 360 will do both , hope it will anyway !

Edit :
    Just dug out my component board manual which says the following

signal name:750 (720)/60p horizontal frequency:45.00 Vertical frequency:60.00
    signal name750(720)/50p horizontal frequency:37.50 Vertical frequency:50.00

Does that mean ive covered for 720p @50 and 60 htz ?

p.s Sorry for hopping on your topic Markin ! Just hope to find out if im safe !

12. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i'm hoping my scouser mate is right to be honest, 720 @ 60 will do for me

one question though, when you say "scale up" is that some thing the tv would do automatically?

13. ricki1980

ricki1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248

I'm afraid that PAL games are encoded in 50hz otherwise all those with 50hz set would be screwed.
    Microsoft will not be alienating 90% of the British markets with its PAL Xbox360 by signaling 60hz.

The Xbox360 will output 720p @ 50hz over component this is not in doubt - do you really think Microsoft take into account what Hitachi have done by selling Plasma's designed for a US market in the UK?

The vast majority of HDTV Plasma's can accept 720 @ 50hz it seems Hitachi cut serious coners with the 5100/5200 series but then again they are not 'HD READY' set's and have never been marketed as HD READY.

However as I said Microsoft have advised that 360 will be able to upsacle to 1080i anyway so you should be ok - its just far from ideal as must games will no doubt be designed for 720p............. and you always can use the VGA cable so chill

14. Three6ty

Three6ty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that you can switch between 50 and 60hz in the dashboard like on the present xbox. I can't remember where I read it though having trawled through so much 360 stuff over the last few months.
    If all pal games are encoded in 50hz, why does the current xbox have a 60hz option in the dashboard. You can't change the option within any of the games, only in the dashboard.
    I'm confident that 5200 owners will be fine for 720p gaming.
    Cheers

15. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, is this getting cofusing or what!!.

Ricki1980 if i used the VGA cable what would that do? as it says AV1, AV2 and RGB2 "which appears to be the d-sub connector for Analog" will accept 720p/60 input and still not 720p/50

God my heads hurtin now

16. ricki1980

ricki1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    Ok everyone seems to be getting a bit confused here about signals :eek:

Ok there is a Big differnece between PAL60Hz (480) and NTSC60Hz (570) and some games support PAL60hz.
    The Xbox dashboard ask's if your TV supports PAL60 and if so then when you put in a PAL game that supports PAL60 your TV will take advantage of it and you get a better frame rate. Only 5 PAL games were encoded to support PAL60 Halo,Splinter Cell.

The Hitachi 5100/5200 Pannel Support NTSC60hz (480) not PAL60Hz (570), they are two different things and by selecting 60hz in the dash board wont change anything.

http://www.activewin.com/faq/x-box.shtml

http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~c0271196/Hardware.htm

17. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ricki, nearly there now. Just 2 last question's
    1, you say you can use VGA cables Q, what type of pic would that produce?
    2, you say the games would scale up to 1080i Q, would the tv scale up on it's own and also would you lose alot of quality by it scaling up as you said "its far from ideal as the games would have been made for 720p"

Thanks for all the help guys it really is appreciated

18. ricki1980

ricki1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248

The VGA cable will allow Xbox 360 to run at any resolution from VGA (640x480) at both 50 and 60 Hz, passing through 1024x768 (50 Hz and 60 Hz) to 1920x1080 (50 Hz and 60 Hz) which coincides with HDTV 1080 resolution.

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8862/Xbox-360-QWERTY-Keyboard-Revealed/

Yes the Xbox 360 will scale a 720p image upto 1080i @50hz for your 5200 over the component imput, its just not ideal as mentioned.

19. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will let you know what happens when i connect it all up.

Cheers Guys

No one ever did reply to- how would i know if the picture which was on was in HD as i have nothing to compare it with, especially as the 360 is supposed to give a really good picture anyway (the good thing is i probably wouldn't notice anyway) :D

20. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's all wired up and running amazingly well, components working a treat.

21. JonP81

JonP81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The xbox 360 games are designed to run at 50hz and 60hz, im running it through VGA on a 5200, the 360 only supports 60hz through VGA though, it will force 60hz you dont need to set it in the dash.

The only downside of this is old xbox games E.g. Halo. Were 50hz only so you cannot play them with a VGA cable, but all 360 games will be 50/60hz, and work perfectly through VGA on a 5200

22. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    haven't tried it with VGA, because i was so happy with how it looked through Component.
    I now have another problem as i cant choose between LG 32LZ55 and the Samsung LE32R41bdx both 32" LCD's for another room. to many people on here confusing the issues. Anyway see you on (live) matey

23. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi chaps, first post here, hopefully just in time...!

I may have messed up slightly, ive got the 32pd5300. When I brought it I didnt realise the multimedia box would accept more than 576p, which has now hindered my plans xbox360 wise so, as it is currently having repairs done under warranty, I thought i would plump for a 5200 as they are cheap now (plus I wanted 32" plasma and there isnt much else to choose from, and ive got the wall mount etc for it) and sell the 5300 when I get it back. Then I find out about the 720/50hz situation (after ordering of course)!

Didnt even think/know about the VGA cable, would I have better off keeping hold of the 5300 and using VGA or would the box still have limited this somehow...?

Obviously made a bit of a loss doing this, hope it wasnt in vain. Might still be recoverable if i act quickly, although I already have a buyer for the 5300 and the 5200 looks a better option connection wise

Hearing you got a good picture through component has cheered me up some though markin, I take it the games are being scaled up to 1080i?

I have heard that the VGA can make the colours a bit washed out, dont know if there is any truth in this, suppose best course of action would be to get hold of one and try out both to see whats best :)

24. rss

rss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Scuttlerx, I've got the 42PD5000 which is not HD ready and hence I cannot use component to get a 720/1080 output.

However, the VGA cable makes up for this and delivers a picture of equal quality.

25. juminator

juminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be some confusion about the HDCP in the 360 so here it goes.

The xbox 360 WILL use an HDCP connection , so if you have that its a major bonus for your picture quality.

This as been confirmed the moment they (Microsoft) have announced the HD-DVD drive for the 360, and as you now the HD-DVD format needs an HDCP connection to work.:lesson:

Just dont ask me how they are going to make an HDCP connection using the analog video output chip in the 360 because HDCP also needs a digital connection to work.:confused:

EDIT: Ups, looks like i forget to tell that the HD-DVD drive its mean only for movies, but maybe they will see the oportunity and also use the HDCP connection on games , lets hope so :)

26. manjidude

manjidude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42PD5100 which i pretty sure is not HD Ready but using component it accepts 720 and 1080 signals from my xbox 360. Picture in verry impressive:thumbsup:

27. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well I know the 5100/5200's will accept 720p60hz and 1080i 50hz/60hz, im just hoping the 360 has an option for outputting 720p in 60hz mode, then im happy :thumbsup:

28. MarkinStoke

MarkinStoke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scuttlerx,
    Don't worry about the pic matey, it will be fantastic with either comp or vga leads, i have both now and can't tell the difference. apart from the fact that the plasma is better looking than the LCD by a country mile.

29. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well, new 32pd5200 turned up today (and broken 32pd5300 was collected earlier in week!)

Both 720 and 1080 work so im well chuffed and picture is great! Sticking to the 200 hour run in though so brightness and contrast have been dropped down (have these both on -5, is that about right?).Bizarely though, 720p seems to have a slight flicker on the dashboard where as 1080i has none at all.

From what ive read I was expecting the opposite, dont know whether its something to do with the HItachi ALIS handing an interlaced signal better than a progressive maybe? Cant see flicker on games for either so not worried, just curious :)

30. Scuttlerx

Scuttlerx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sigh.....

'New' tv has all the marks of a re-furb, 2 screws missing out of back, others chewed up a bit, the guarantee in the manual has been filled out (Purchased oct 2004!), and it has now stopped producing sound on all inputs...

Im losing the will to watch tele...

I know it is technically legal for a place to send you a working re-furb when you send back a faulty item (picked that up on one of the many 'dead 360' threads), but can they do it for an item sold a new? Regardless of whether they can or not its going back cos its faulty, just curious to see if ive been done had it not been faulty