Hitachi 42PD5000 + Xbox 360

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Ingenium, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Ingenium

Ingenium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, after selling my pc wanting to get back into console gaming after about 6-7 years,

had a Hitachi 42PD5000 Plasma for just over a 18 months now and will this be compatible with xbox 360 for HD games?

Thanks for any info given

Inge-

2. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    Yes that plasma will support hd, it has a res of 1024x1024 and hd plasmas start at 1024x768 you can buy a vga cable and select 1024x768 the 360 will look great. :thumbsup: enjoy :D

3. jedial

jedial

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have the older 42PD3000 and it looks amazing in HD via VGA.
    Mine doesn't support the new 1080p highest resolution, but that doesn't really bother me.
    Go get a 360, you won't regret it :clap:

4. manjidude

manjidude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Hitachi 42PD5200 which i think is basically the same tv. I have the 360 connected via component and it looks stunning.

5. plumplemming

plumplemming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same screen as you (42PD5000), I have my 360 running on component cable at 720p & the picture is stunning.... especially Gears of War.
    Match that up to a good amp with optical input & you have an astonishing gaming experiance.:clap:

6. lordbilly

lordbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have the similar 42PD5200 and it looks amazing over component. Would like to see the difference with VGA but i am not willing to buy the lead only to have a small increase in quality, if any.
    But to answer your question your screen can handle the hidef signal from the xbox360.
    Happy gaming

7. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to butt in on this thread, but I've got a Panasonic TH42PX600. Would that look better via vga with me specifying a resolution, or should I stick with my current component input which does look great by the way! I've specified 720p as the resolution to use currently btw.

Hope you've got the answers gang.

Cheers
    Rick

8. plumplemming

plumplemming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rick,
    my brother put his 360 on via vga & he said that his picture went flat & lacked depth compared to component.I think his vga input was purely for pc use (sharp lcd) you might want to check that out first. I do know that your 360 will upscale any dvd movie played in it when using the vga setup.

9. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that mate. Couple of questions though. Firstly, would a plasma display it differently to an lcd (I'm thinking about other threads where people have made comparisons between plasma and lcd when viewing sd as opposed to hd sources), and secondly is upscaling a bad thing then? I've not really got my head around that concept.

Cheers
    Rick

10. plumplemming

plumplemming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upscaling isn't a bad thing at all, it will give you slightly better picture over component, but not a massive amount. I haven't had any experiance with large lcd screens so I wouldn't be able to comment, but I have heard that plasma's are better for gaming.

11. brethy

brethy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too have the pd5000 ,it is nearly 3 years old now and looks great with the 360 playing on it,i,ve added the hd drive which has got to be one of the best bargains of the decade,i play both games and hd films through component as the vga looks good but is just a bit SOFTER than component ,i can recomend the pd500 series as it is such an accomodating set with all the inputs you could hope for.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

12. Saldawop

Saldawop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,061
    When I first made the switch from component to VGA I was very impressed by how crisp the picture became.I was less impressed with the colours,seemed very washed out .I have now come to the conclusion that its not really washed out,just not the cartoon colours I had been accustomed to. I have used the component input a couple of times since and am always glad to get it back to VGA.

13. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,279
    Thread resurrection time ............................

Anyone using the DVI-D socket with HDMI ?
    Which did you find the best resolution to use ?
    Anyone still using a 42PD5X00 series :D (should have asked that first)

14. gam

gam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +720
    I still have one but not in my main setup..... tried the xbox once via dvi (and the audio had to go in through the wee jack beside it if i remember correctly:() but prefered the component route, which is how there is one currently connected although rarely used..... think at the time and like most things i tried on it over the years including an iscan scaler also via dvi the best res was 1080i which from what i could make out was what the panel seems to be most at home with.

15. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,279
    Thanks gam , whilst I was using component , for the moment its not really an option for me as all the inputs on the YAM are in use.
    Anyone else ?