1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD5000 & Sky HD

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jborer, Mar 21, 2005.

1. jborer

jborer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My questions are mainly about getting Sky HD on my plasma.

I have queried Hitachi Support via email who have informed me that the only Hitachi unit to support HDMI is the 42PD5200. I was told by Richer Sounds when I bought the 42PD5000 (approx 8 months ago now) that it was identical to the 42PD5200 except it didn't have a tuner/video board.

Hitachi have told me that this Video Board/Tuner Interface could not be purchased seperatly to attach to the 42PD5000 which I guess would have solved my problem.

Richer Sounds have told me that Sky may be releasing an add-on box that will do this HDCP decoding. I don't really know about this stuff apart from what I have read in various forums. Is there any truth in this?

Has anyone got any recommendations on what I could do e.g. Could I get Richer Sounds to upgrade my model to the PD425200 or do I not have a leg to stand on? Would I be able to get hold of this tuner/video board seperately via other sources? Or would it be too exepensive that it would not be worth it?

When I bought the plasma I had no idea about this HDCP stuff that Sky would be using. I guess Richer Sounds didn't know either to inform me about it. Hindsight for you...

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    To be fair, nobody knew 8 months ago. I do not recall anything about sky doing a HDCP decoder, if you know different we'll have a whip round for a case of champagne! I don't think you have any rights for an upgrade, and I think the tuner board probably does not work in your screen, there would be no point in simply not selling it. Join the club mate, loads of people in your position. There may be a solution not from sky, but I'd hold on until you need one, see how things settle down.