1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD4200 from Richer Sounds

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tomo1971, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all, Im new to the forum so please be gentle!!! :hiya:

Can anyone confirm if the 42PD4200 is HDTV ready or not?
    It has a DVI port but on the web site it says "Dedicated to the connection of the AV3000E Multi-media box". Hitachi CS suggests that this is only for connection of a PC rather than a STB. Any Ideas?

Also, the web says the resolution is 852x480 but the chappy at RS said it was the same panel as the PD5200 and so should be 1024x1024, anyone any knowledge of this?

Have spoke to RS and they said they should be able to take the screen back if required but as the PD5200 is now discontinued i wouldnt know what to get for £2k.

Im connecting a Toshiba RDS32x HDD recorder and a Telewest Pace STB to the Tv as well as a PS2 and surround sound.

Thanks for any advice.
    Steve

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you're getting a little confused between the different Hitachi models.

Firstly, according to the Hitachi Website the 42PD5200 is not a discontinued model.

The 5200 has a DVI input which can be connected to another DVI device.

The 5300 has a DVI input which is solely for the connection of the AV control box. However, hi-def signals can be fed into the VGA/XGA input on the 5300.

Both screens are 1024 x 1024.

3. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry,I meant Discont at Richer sounds and seen it as discontinued at a couple of online stores too.

I was asking about the differencies of the 42PD4200 and the 42PD5200.
    I have bought a 4200 but was told it was the same as the 5200 and can accept HDTV and is 1024x1024 but turns out the the Hitachi site says it aint.

Steve

4. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    hello
    i went through the same thing as you with this panel. i couldnt find much about it anywhere- i bought one from rs. i was told it will handle hi def if imputed- i dont know how true that is but i am more than happy with it, the pictures suprised me as how good they were, it takes a little time to set up. i run a pioneer dv575 dvd player- the blacks are deep, if i was gonna be picky close up skin colours can look a bit blotchy but i think this could be how i have it set, looks good on the wall as well!!
    when i was lookin to buy, i was torn between this and the panasonic pw6- i went for this as it had its own speakers and tuner etc (girlfriend stood next to me in the que!)
    well i love mine
    :thumbsup:

5. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Dave,
    Thanks for the reply.

Maybe im been over critical and wary of what the future brings. Having done some more reading after my original post it seems that the future of how HDTV is gonna get into our screens is not yet certain and anyone saying they have a HDTV compatible screen may not be correct if the standards are not yet set.

Suppose my only other concern is the resolution of the panel. Would there be a noticable difference going to a panel that is 1024x1024. Using the screen for DVD's, Telewest and PS2. (the 4200 is 852x480)

We notice some blurring and skin tones are blotchy when close up and moving (mainly on the STB rather than DVD). Notice that smoke or fog is also very blurry........ is this to be expected? Do other people experience this?

Steve

6. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have the Hitachi 42PD4200. It's my first plasma so I was blown away from the start. Although I researched them loads and was about to buy the Panasonic PW6. Ask my girlfriend she nearly watched Ice Age twice during all the trips to the Panasonic shop.

I ended shelling£2k to Richer Sounds. DVD's look alright, but the Hi-Definition material I'm using looks amasing. bare in mind I use a PC to upscale all my movies, play Hi-Definition 1080i and 720p video on and also games. Friends keep telling me how they can't believe the HD video looks to clear. It really does look like a 42" moving digital photo.

I bought a Radeon 9800pro cause it's locks out the screen via DVI to 1080i and 720p. Although the 1080i looks interlaced by the flickering of the screen. Kinda like in the old days when you pushed your PC monitor to a high 1024x768 interlaced resolution.

I'm really happy with it. I hear component will run HD-def on these panels but show me someone who has a blu-ray HD player. No one, it's either DVD players or a PC to take you to the next level.

Word of advice never watch a CGI flick on a panel in the store when deciding. They make them look nice for display purposes!

But it is true, no can say what the format will be. Because to be honest a true panels should 1280x720p and 1920-1080i with no resizing to be a true HD panel using the current formats.

I would try get a panel that support 720p native, might have a tiny scaling to do. 852x480 to me is just a big TV set. There are also debates currently which is better 720p or 1080i. Being one is interlaced and the other progressive.

Seems the format wars will never end!!!

7. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So will there be a noticable difference between 852x480 and 1024x1024 if im just using it for dvd's and telewest and sometimes ps2?

By the time that HDTV is working and there is enough choice then ill be in the market for another one anyway, its just that if i have an oppurtunity to take it back now cos they mis-sold it then i will if I can get a swap for a much better screen at the same price.

Steve

8. Splinx

Splinx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought one of these from Futurehome ( http://www.futurehome.co.uk ) for what I thought was a good price of under £2000.

Running my plasma off an NVidia 6800 ultra, just for fun, and games look absolutely incredible, although my neck is now getting sore from looking side to side ;)

One point of note, If you havn't got DVI out from your PC, you'll have to get the additional external multimedia box as this TV does not have VGA in.

With regards to getting a PC to output specifically for an exact display - I am just looking into writing customdisplay config files - I'll let you all know how I get on ;)

So far I would give this TV 10 out of 10, and another reason why I've stuck with Hitachi. Also, .... the guys at Futurehome were very helpful and knowledgable. This cam at somewhat of a surprise for an Internet company - although they tell me they have a store in berkshire, wokingham :) - Long live real, tangible, companies :p

f.y.i direct link to my purchase : http://www.futurehome.co.uk/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=12 .

9. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If I am not mistaken, RS is selling the 42pd4200 for £1999. Nexnix (which I recommend) and most other websites are selling the 42pd5200 for £1990 or thereabouts. So, why don't you get the 42pd5200 which is 1024x1024?

P/S: A guy in RS told me that 42pd4200 was exactly the same as the 42pd5200 except for the glass covering the facia. Good thing I was doubtful! The main difference is the resolution. RS was selling the 42pd5200 for £2299 and I got my from Nexnix for £1987 with next day delivery.

10. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That glass cover came in V handy already.after 2 weeks of ownership... I threw the dogs rubber ball up the stairs , which promptly bounced back across the room into the tv..aarrgh!

So it is great for kids, dogs etc

11. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Limbk,

I orig posted a while back about the 4200 but took it back to RS and got a pio 435FDE.

Much better screen

Notice that Argos are doing the 4200 now.
    Steve

12. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does this mean the 4200 is not an ALIS panel then with the 852x480 resolution?? didn't think that hitachi made any non alis panel displays

Gary

13. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The 42pd4200 is a 852x480. The 5200 etc are a fujitsu panel and the lowere 4200 is LG.

Definatly a NON alis panel though.

Was not a bad display, but not as good as the Pio435 I have now.

Steve

14. Si H

Si H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just a quick one (which might be a stupid question) - a shop assistant told me to use component leads for the best picture from my dvd player. So I got a set of leads which have a red, green and blue RCA connector at each end. When I go from my red, green, blue connections at my dvd to the red, green blue connections on the pasma I just get "Invalid Scan Freq" on the screen with a messy dvd picture which is knowhere near readable.
    Does anyone know what's wrong? In the diagram part of the manual it shows a scart to 6 RCA lead which can go to the input AV2 component position.
    Have I wasted my money and need this lead?
    I don't see why I can't use this lead I have. I thought the idea was to get away from scart and use this Component red, green blue as it was better quality.
    Stuck at the moment and would appreciate some help.

Ta