1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD3000E - Any good ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by midknight, Dec 11, 2003.

1. midknight

midknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,004
    Hi,

I am desperatley trying to justify to myself spending £3k on a TV and wondered if the Hitachi P42PB3000E is worth the price ?

It will primarily be for Sky + and DVd's.

Or is there a cheaper but just as good alternative set ?

Please help!!

2. AV Geeza

AV Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A friend of mine has one, which he bought from JL @ £3000.
    I think that the picture quality is very good indeed on all sources, and while it may not be the last word in detail or contrast, the JL package with 5yr warranty makes it a good VFM buy IMO.

There are Panny 6 deals at AV-Sales and Nex-Nix which make them a very attractive buy but without the 5 yr warranty.

The bottom line is that you really should try to view them for yourself. Lets face it, £3k is a lot of money to spend blindly.

3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,042
    midknight
    Do a search m8,you will find alot of happy hitachi plasma owners.Me being one of them.

4. gurj

gurj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also bought a 42PD300 from JL and had it delivered to me at the start of Nov.

Firstly the picture thru component from a DVD player ( Denon 2900 ) is astounding....from all types of films.....Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo the colours will amaze you.....LOTR / TT to Superbit ( Fifth Element / Gladiator ) the PQ is simply awesome....am also using some mega Nordost cable though.

From Sky using QED Squart RGB scart cable again PQ is excellent especially from the more 'PQ Quality channels '. With analogue it's grainy but that's what your SKy box is for.

PS2 via RGB cables the PQ is arcade like with rich colours and hardly any blurring and def no bleed.

So all in all i was like you contemplating the best part of £3k but in the end it is definately worth it.......I've also got a full on Home Cinema set up ( KEF Reference with a REL sub and Denon 2803 with Rotel power amps for the front via pre outs ) and that's when you realise that when you have big quality sound with PQ there is no going back !!!!

Hope that helps.....

5. midknight

midknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,004
    Thanks Gurj - I think I will go for it - after all its only money !!!!!

6. kharris777

kharris777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then why am I underwhelmed?

I have had mine for about 4 days now and I am considering sending it back. I knew there were compromises to make etc, but I am not sure if its all a bit too much.

1) Sky PQ is poor (upgraded my scart to MONSTER SCART £70 and it did make a huge diff. Doubt though if more expensive would mean even better...)
    2) Watched Sky news for just 15MINS today and there was a slight after image from the bloddy red button!
    3) DVD is good using component but seems to be better on animation that normal films (although that is pretty good!)
    4) Need to tweak settings (have already turned down the brightness) but find the manual so unhelpful.

Saying that though, the kids and the missus think its good - its just a shame they are going to be banned watching anything else but DVD's on it!

Think very very hard my friend, I might try to take mine back, but I doubt unless I do a very good blag that I will get away with it.

I want to be happy with mine, but I think its going to wind me up (esp with screen burn issues) over time

Sorry to be the party pooper....

7. midknight

midknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,004
    Not at all - its good to hear all sides

8. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kharris777,

Sky looks pretty good on my Hitachi, DVD's even better. I'm using a bog standard Scart cable for the sky and a philex THOR to connect the DVD. I haven't got a very hi spec set up yet I'm quite happy with the results, maybe I have lower expectations than you?

Despite a few occaisions when the sky menu etc has been left on-screen for longer than I would like, I haven't had any screen burn issues. Even the missus is allowed to use it on her own :) Obviously the back-up button will temporarily disable the red-dot.

Did you view any other plasmas before you bought the hitachi? If so what did you think of them?

9. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £3157.23 inc VAT and delivery

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    simonwim - it's the top menu that's wrong when you clickthru you gat the right price.

kharris777 you need to spend some time with the settings to get it looking its best i'm afraid. An investment in Avia might be a good idea or at least use a THX optimizer like the one on Monsters Inc or Star Wars Ep 2. WRT red dots / logos most fade very quickly - they're just "ghosting" for want of a better word not full on screen burn.

11. kharris777

kharris777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Elvis

Guess I am disspointed after researching this thing for over a year!

One thing I can tell you is that Sky news have lost me as a customer! now goingto start watching bbc news instead.

Did demo quite a few but I suppose not in my house - which could have been my mistake ! Also what I suppose doesn't help is that I was in the US a couple of weeks ago and saw HDTV which was amazing. I know we aren't going to get that over here but maybe that just wound me up even more if you know what I mean.

I haven't had the thing a week yet, I hope if will grow on me!

DO you know if Freeview is better than Sky on PQ on a like for like basis? Maybe that will make me like it a bit better...

rgds

PS I dare not tell the missus this - I will NEVER hear the end of it! ;-)

12. kharris777

kharris777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sound interesting, whats Avia ? I think you are right about tweaking but I swear I will throw the manual out the window. Its so basic!

13. banane

banane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pros :
    Astounding image with good sources (RVB Digital Satellite)
    Easy to use (tuner)
    3 Scarts 1 YUV 1 VGA
    HP "earable"
    Cons :
    No HD via YUV- No DVI - No HDMI.
    New model to come (CL42PD5400 I think)
    Only one preferencial setup, other modes not accurate (too bright), hard to have a setup for a perfect image in all conditions of light.

Resumed : good choice, but what about the new one ?

14. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many people rate freeview over Sky for PQ, I haven't got it so I can't comment. Unlikely to reach US HDTV standards of PQ though.

I suppose demo-ing in your house with your own kit would be ideal, but I doubt many suppliers would be keen to do that for every buyer. I hate to say it but maybe Plasma isn't for you? Why not return it and get a nice 32" CRT for TV watching and a projector with pull down screen for movies. Cheaper too.

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    For convenience it's hard to beat a PD3000, especially taking the price into account, but it's very possible to improve on the picture, just take 1 bucket load of cash..... well probably a Pio. MXE and a scaler, maybe a Lumagen? Depends what floats your boat though. I've just come back from yet another happy PW6 install, just a basic one, they had a set of Gallo micros, a pioneer 301 amp, sky, DVD+R, and that's it. The pio amp does RGB scart switching, making up for convenience, DVD has analogue tuner, as well as being the recorder. RGB can be sent to it from Sky with this setup. Yes it costs more than a tv plasma, but look at all that function, style, and surprisingly good picture given the lack of effort. I still can't understand why anyone would want crappy speakers on the side of their plasma, and why they would'nt want Pro logic for TV.

16. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    food for thought !

my quote from another thread -

---

Well you may think I'm mad but here is my reasoning: -

I was wanting to go for a plasma but the quality of the pictures (Hitachi, Pioneer Fujitsu etc etc) is nowhere near the quality of the best CRT's and the value for money reasoning is none existent in comparison to a crt tv. Yes you can get a bigger screen size with a plasma and yes they are nice and thin (not of concern to me), but the pictures are very poor with either analogue / digital (NTL for me) and ok / good with DVD. With a crt tv you get reasonable with analogue, very good with digital and excellent with DVD. I personally think plasmas are selling more on their "fashion" statement than picture quality / performance at the moment (that will upset a few people).

Having auditioned a few screens and read many German, USA and English forums I decided to go for a high quality crt tv and get a projector. I can have excellent quality pictures for day to day viewing and with a projector you get the WOW factor (size of screen) on a movie / sports night etc.

So I've a Z2 on order and I am planning to upgrade my Tosh 36" original pic frame TV to the Panasonic 36PD30.

The Denon 2200 was going to feed PAL + NTSC progressive signals to both my tv and Z2 via component.

Having read about DVI etc etc I though stuff it I'll have a go. So got a Samsung HD935 a 10m Lindy DVI lead and waiting to see how good 720p / 1080i is through the Z2. If it's no good or no better than the Denon on component, it will shortly be on ebay..

If the 935 / DVI option is works then the Denon will then just do DVD to the TV and run as a SACD and DVD-A player.

The bottom line is: Denon DVD2200 (multiregion) = £520.00, Panasonic 36PD30 £1400.00, Samsung HD935 (multi hack) £166.00, Sanyo Z2 £1183.00, DRH Screen £158.00, cables etc £300 = circa £3727.00 for an excellent 36” picture and very good 100” projected picture.

£3700 will only get you a 42” plasma with what I consider reasonable picture.

---

The 42pd3000 was and still would be my choice for a plasma on quality pic and value for money.

However I have now sold the HD935 / DVI option and sticking with the Denon DVD2200 via component as it gives a more natural picture than the HD935 and so the cost is now down to £3534.

I'm not saying my way is the right way; I'm just throwing another option onto the table.

Regards,

Chris L.

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Funny you should say that... I'm the plasma man for the cutomers, but I have a projector.

18. cheesyhammyeggy

cheesyhammyeggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the Hitachi for 5 weeks now and its absolutely gorgeous, I miss it when I'm away from it, no complaints at all and with the JL warranty I'm well chuffed. It is easy for everyone to use as well, looks great on the wall and saved me heaps of space taken up by my crt.

19. kharris777

kharris777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    think I should update you all on this thread with whats happened to me and my Hitachi plasma (after sharing my doubts with you a cou-le of weeks ago)

I bloody love it!

Learning to live with it now, tweaked it up nicely, and loving it.

I do believe that it represents good value for money.

I also reaslised that I don't watch the lower bandwith channels (all crap!!) of sky anyway! Also realised that it would take a real effort to burn the screen!

So would I recommend it? Defo!

20. midknight

midknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,004
    Thats great - what are your picture settings (I got mine last thursday and am still tweaking !) ?

21. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've had my 42PD3000 for a few months now and its still a wow when you see it. As for the screen burn issues, just run the screen wipe in the menu for a short time and they go away (very effective on Sky logos and menus and teletext).

I was nervous when I bought it having researched for nearly a year and with the new Pioneer 434 coming out within weeks. BUT having seen the Pio and its niggles (I know all screens have them!) I'm 100% glad I bought the PD3000. Thanks JL!

Cheers

Dave

22. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I'll just chip in and say i love my Hitachi, it looks bloody gorgeous and when i walk into my lounge i always find myself grinning at it.
    Money well spent in my book :smashin:

23. rolandrat

rolandrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Fantastic!!! Merry Xmas all.

24. Cag

Cag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What is the Sky PQ like on BBC,ITV etc.

25. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    PQ on BBC1 & ITV from a Sky+ box to my 42PD3000 is very good.

John

26. djinn

djinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bu the way how does the 32" hitachi compare to the 42" big brother. The reason i ask is that the 32" seems to be eluding me for audition for a while as is sold out - and is selling for £2100.

My room is kind of small; screen to seating distance will be approx 8-9 ft.

Also a guy in Sevenoaks told me that a smaller screen will hide its faults better than a larger screen of identical spec as the faults will be smaller - makes sense to me.......

Any thoughts out there?

27. djinn

djinn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but did someone say there was a new hitachi on its way as pd5400?

28. mafioso

mafioso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If any one is looking for the Sale of the Century check out Empire Direct who are selling the Hitachi 42" for £2600 inc delivery and they have them in stock.
    I think they may have a store to price match JL against. Thats got to make it a Best Buy even if it does suffer from the odd dead pixel - at least in my case anyway. Still optimistic on getting a dead pixel free one though!!!