1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD3000

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ashearer, Jul 1, 2003.

1. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I am finally taking the plunge and am going to buy a plasma. After testing out a number of them, I have decided on the Hitachi 42PD3000. This comes with the multimedia box which has 2 RGB Scarts. I need to connect my DVD player and Sky and am assuming I can just hook them up using RGB Scarts as I do today on my normal tv. Am I missing something? I can't believe it's that simple!

Also, I have read a number of comments about Skys performance through a plasma. Has anyone tried the 42PD3000 with Sky? Any major issues?

Thanks as always.
    Andy

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have the 32 inch model & Sky looks great through an rgb scart connection on the major channels - BBC, Sky 1, Movies, Sports but looks poor on Bravo and stuff like that but frankly I never watch much on those anyway.

Connecting your dvd player can be done via RGB scart or better component if your dvd player has this option.

Be prepared to change the settings from the factory default as quite frankly, they're shocking - find a thread called "Ideal Settings for Hitachi 32PD300" for a clue as to what others have done. A THX optimiser as found on Monsters Inc or better still Avia guide to home theatre will help

3. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for this. My main concern was Sky Sports. I'll definitely have a play with the settings. I'll probably stick with RGB Scart for the DVD player for now. I just couldn't justify the price of component cables when I set-up my home cinema last year.

Now, I just need to find someone that has them in stock......

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Bloomin' 'eck £3000 for a tv & you can't afford £40 - £100 for a cable, believe me it's well worth it even if you only go for the Ixos xhv704.

Stock wise, it seems as though Hitachi are bringing units in quite quickly now but Cromton & Moore & Audiovision in Sheffield both had them in stock last week (both ship nationaly)

5. ashearer

ashearer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My fiance doesn't understand the need for expensive cables when you can pick them up in Argos for a couple of quid ;) Seriously, what would you recommend component wise up to a max of £100?

Thanks for the tip about Crampton and Moore - just placed an order.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My advice with cables is to start by getting friendly with a dealer - 7oaks or Audio-T have branches in Reading so could be candidates. Agree with them that you'll buy a cable but that you can upgrade it if you aren't happy. Get the Ixos xhv704 which is £40 and does a good job, if you aren't happy move on to the next one up QED P-CV RCA or IXOS 1703 (what I use - purely because I thought the xhv 704 looked a bit flimsy) for about £75. I'm sure that you'll be happy enough with one of those, they'll give you great results without breaking the bank. Of course the caveat to this is that you can get away with 1m of cable (shouldn't be a problem)

Edit just had a look at hificables & the 1703 is now called the xhv804