Hitachi 42PD3000 upgraded transformer

Big Al

Standard Member
Reaction score
Has any one who has expirenced buzzing / electrical noise from thier 42PD3000 had the problem rectified by having a modified transformer fitted?

My transformer was upgraded at the end of February 2004 after my wife & I grew tired of the constant changing of he buzzing frequency when the picture content changed. This buzz could clearly be heared above normal listening levels and obviously spoils our viewing experience. The mod seemed to lessen the problem but we were not totaly convinced. Now just over one month later the buzz is back and worse than ever.

I reported this to Hitachis service agents, who had carried out the mod , who responded that the transformer was up to current spec and that there was nothing further that they could do. After some twisting I managed to persuade them to contact Hitachi. As yet I have had no reply.

Presumably, either the modded transoformer has failed or this is not the answer to our problem and I am interested to know if any one else has had problems with the modified transformer.

Many Thanks

Big Al

Bump

I doubt very much there is a transformer mod. They just fitted you a new one in all likelyhood. Buzzing is a 'feature' of almost all plasmas, to some degree at least, which varies in intensity usually inline with the amount of light being emitted by the panel. I have not heard about it with a hitachi PD3000 previously, though I am not a Hitachi dealer it has to be said (my choice not theirs) In short, they might replace it as many times as you like and still not stop it. But yours does seem much louder than average, and that being so, the replacement transformer being equally loud is unfortunate. Give it another go if you like the rest of your screen.

Thanks Maw,

we will be progressing this with our retailer. As appart from the buzz we are extremly happy with the Hitachi.

We agree that some form of buzzing would be normal, but when the pitch changes every few seconds it becomes highly irritating.

Big Al

I had a transformer change on my 42PD3000 just over a month ago and the buzzing has progressively got louder again - it's not as bad as it was before though.

John

I'm currently contemplating the 32" version of this plasma but talk of a buzzing problem with the 42" model is making me think twice. The reason I got rid of my old RPTV was due to abnormally loud transformer buzz and I don't want to get another set with the same problem.

Just how loud is this buzzing and does anyone know if the 32" version is affected in the same way?

I still have no buzzing on my 42PD3000, i've had it since last september so i am either very lucky or it is a wallmounting issue and this some how muffles the sound ??
If i turn on the display and leave my amp off with a completely silent room and i rest my head on the top of the plasma, as long as i don't fall asleep i can just hear a very faint buzzing but only just.

In general, with non fan-cooled plasmas, your experience is on the good side of typical, Fuzzybee. Most people can hear some sound in a quiet room, but not over normal listening levels for TV, including after the kids have gone to bed, if you see what I mean.

Fuzzybee,

It's not the fact it's wallmounted - mine is as well and the buzz can be very noticeable at times.

John

Aside from the fact that it could just be fuzzybee is lucky, other factors affecting audible buzz could be the amount of soft furnishings, wall composition, location of the set within the room, the quality of an individuals hearing etc..

There is probably a mixture of factors in each case which is contributing to variations in buzzing volume, although a faulty power supply is obviously still the key one.

Mine buzzed, at least I though it did until I (perchance) turned off the lights in the dining room and realised it was they that made the noise.:suicide:

Stiesto

Our 32PD3000 has not buzzed since we bought it in Febuary and long may it continue not to do so.

johndon

Do you feel that the transformer replacement did not solve the problem completely and do you feel that the buzz requires further attention.

I dont think any plasma owner should suffer the kind of buzz they can hear over normal ( or louder) listening levels. Any one who does should band together with others similary affected and see if a mass complaint can get this issue sorted.

Any other comments?

Big Al

Any more comments, anyone?

Big Al

Big Al,

I'm certainly thinking about getting the service agent out again but I have to be honest and say that the buzzing doesn't annoy me as much as it used to - perhaps I'm just used to it now.

John

I would say that the acid test is whether or not you can hear it over normal TV. If you can - complain. If you can't it isn't really a problem.

You're spot on Elvis - I got the first replacement as I could hear the buzz above normal dialog on TV.

It's not quite reached that stage again - I can hear the buzz during scenes with no noise but with dialog or, in particular, background music, I can't hear it.

John

I am amazed you could hear the buzzing over normal listening levels, it must have been ridiculously loud for "transformer buzz", if the new replacement is the same or not much better, definatley get them back, I have a 42" Hitachi (500E) no fans, a little buzzing can be heard when the audio is muted from a few feet away but as soon as the audio is up a couple of clicks to levels well below what you could actually view at, the buzzing is drowned out!

I just wonder if its not just the transformer as such, maybe the mounting of the transformer is poor on your particular screen, maybe screws are loose or a panel/RFI screen is resonating with the transformer?

Whatever it is, clearly it is not acceptable!

Best regards David

We also have a 42PD3000, bought from JL about 8 months ago (like many others) . The set is wall mounted and for the first month we had no problems with buzzing.

Then we started to notice it on transitions to bright scenes, and after another month it was there most of the time. Like you Big Al it was the constant changing of tone that was so distracting, and it was definitely very noticeable during quiet scenes.

I contacted Hitachi and they sent out a local engineer who replaced the transformer. All was well for the first month again, but it's been another four months now and the buzz is back. I would say it's worse than ever, even to the point where my wife is reminding me regularly that I need to contact Hitachi to get it fixed, and that's bad.

This thread has prompted me to make that call tomorrow, but I do wonder what they will (can) do. If they change the transformer again I’m sure it will be a short term fix, and I don't see any posts on the board indicating that they ever do anything else.

This seems to be a common complaint that can be isolated to a single (cheap?) component. You would think that a modification to fix this would not be out of the question, even a small shield above the offending transformer to dampen the sound would probably help, but we will see what they say.

You could rig up some sound baffling panels behind your Hitachi to absorb as much noise as possible, I found that helped.

Elvis

I've thought about this, and have quickly tried the old towel behind the panel test to see if it dropped the level. You are right that this definitely helped, but at the current levels its still very noticeable.

I will see what Hitachi come up with, and then if necessary I will take your advice and look at sourcing some proper panels to fit.

Just out of curiosity what thickness are the panels you are using?

----------------------------
Stuart

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but would any of you guys with a wall mounted 42PD3000 be interested in selling the swivel stand that came with it?

I have a 42PD5000 which doesn't come with a stand, and they seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment. I can't wall mount because of my room layout. I did post a "wanted" add in the classifieds section, but haven't had any positive responses as yet.

Big Al

here something for you to try turn all ure PICTURE settings down on the set IE
CONTRAST BRIGHTNESS COLOUR SHARPNESS
Then the buzz should all most be gon so then turn ure settins back up one @ a time
sounds stuped i know but when i have my settings right up the buzz is that loud its its shocking

I taped some bubble wrap to a sheet of corrugated plastic and propped it up behind the screen. But I have to say your problem sounds way worse than mine was. My Hitachi's gone now so has my homemade sound baffle. Hopefully my soon-to-arrive panasonic won't have the same problem.

Slim

All my setings are well below 50% & were set up using DVD palitinum & then Avia.

Elvis

The sound baffle idea is interesting but I dont see why consumers should have to jury rig something on a purchase of this value. I think it should ideally be down to Hitachi to come up with a solution that works & stays working.

Quark

This sounds exactly like our problem. It will be interesting to hear who gets the problem attended to first.

Big Al

All my settings are well below 50% as well and have been since day 1. Stuffing cushions along the top and right hand side of the screen get rid of the noise but clearly that's not practical!!

The engineer who replaced my transformer last time said the fact that it was wall mounted wouldn't be helping with the noise but I have tried it with the table top stand and it made little difference.

I've decided I'm going to go back to my dealer and get the enginner around again to have another go at solving the problem and, while I'm on, I'm going to get their comments on the 'grey cloud' effect that some of us PD3000 owners have got.

I'll let you all know how I get on.

John

I agree that consumers shouldn't have to provide their own solutions, but what can you do about it? Many screens suffer from this problem. Mine wasn't too bad I have to admit, after a while I removed the baffles and could hardly hear the buzzing I think it's worse when your 'zoned in' and listening for it, once I forgot about it it ceased to be a problem.

Whilst I wait for my new panny I've resorted to watching my old Hitachi CRT... that really buzzes!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom