1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42pd3000 repair

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Elvis, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had any experience of getting their plasma serviced or repaired by Hitachi service agents?

A local agent is coming out to check out the buzzing from the power supply. They told me that they may have to take it away, and if so there will be no loan set whilst it's gone.

What have other people's experiences been, Has anyone else get a loan set? and most importantly of all did any 'repairs' actually reduce the buzzing?

I'm in two minds about the whole thing now as I can barely hear it the buzz and the thought of going back to my tiny CRT set for what could be weeks (or months?) is not particularly appealing.

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've had two panels and both buzz the same amount. When Endeva came to take my panel away for repair (it just turned itself off / stopped responding to the RC from time to time) - I showed them the door & explained that I didn't want to be without an equivalent screen - couple of days later they brought a new one, turns out that all they had to replace was the cable between the media box & the panel.

My advice is to live with the buzz - it's not causing any harm to the set

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must admit I can hardly notice the noise, and once it goes for repair god knows how long it will be before I see it again. I supect they won't actually be able to 'fix' it if it's inherent in all these displays.

I will end up with a long wait with no plasma, exactly the same problem when it returns and the added potential for damage caused by the engineers.

I think I just talked myself out of this.

4. rolandrat

rolandrat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Mine makes a buzzing sound, but you can only hear it when you stick your head close to the side (cant get to back as on wall), I can remember my tosh RPTV made "a noise" when you got close to it, my fridge makes a noise when you get close to it, my kids make loads of noise all the bloody time!!!
    What I think I'm saying is that unless it is a really bad noise - ear muff sort of noise I think you'll find that its normal, and you may be without a set and the next one does exactly the same, or worse, it could be broken!
    I think most electrical stuff, make some sort of noise.

5. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi all, I keep reading about this buzzing with plasmas the 400E and the Pio 434, I'm starting to feel left out. :D My 400E doesn't buzz or hum I can't even hear the fan. And before anyone asks no I'm not deaf and the plasma is turned on. ;) Is this something that happens over time, or have you 400E owners had it from the start like the Pio owners. If I mute the sound I can hear a faint buzz from my speakers but nothing from the plasma. I know this doesn't help you guys and you've all help me out in the past, but I'm just puzzled by it all.
    ASH1 :smashin:

6. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the volume of buzz depends on a variety of factors. Quality of hearing is definately one, but I suspect the location and environment are equally important. Of course some sets may just be quieter.

7. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Elvis, I guess I must be one of the lucky ones. My set up is in our extension where it's nice and quiet and I would say I have good hearing. What explosion I didn't hear anything :rotfl:
    ASH1

8. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Endeva (Endeavour?) - Hitachi's service agents- have now gone bust, so I hope no one on this forum had their screen in for repair with them, I suspect it might be long time before they get it back.

9. chrismo

chrismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a problem with mine buzzing, eventually got of my arse to endeavour, they sent a guy out whos first words were WOW that looks fantastic (gives you confidence from the start)m said hed report it back to hitachi, 3 weeks later i rang up to get the ball moving, only to be told the engineer hadnt reported anything back to them, another 2 weeks roll by. Eventually 2 guys turn up on my doorstep open up the box to find a BFO crack running from one side to the other !. The following day the phone lines were dead, eventually got thru to hitachi, who gave me the name of the new company who were dealing with it (based in bradford), was rung numerous times by their tech guys who wanted to test my plasma down the phone what the fudge !!

today they came out (to be fair within a couple of days of the first convo) and said they know about the problem, and will order the part come out and install it (i also got the line about no loan model)

Will update with any more info as when

chris

10. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an appointment for the new service agents (Yorkshire Multimedia) to come and have a look at my set on Friday. But I think I shall probably cancel it. I really don't want the set going away for 'repair' for what will probably be weeks, without a loan set. Particularly as the noise is so minimal. I suspect they won't be able to fix it anyway as this seems to be a common issue, although volume does vary.

I might be more inclined to pack it off after christmas.

I would be very interested in how you get on with the repair Chrismo, and whether or not they can cure your buzzing set. How bad was it?

11. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Much as I love my 42PD3000, the buzzing appears to be getting louder to the point where I can now hear it while watching TV from the viewing position which is around 3m away.

It seems to get worse the longer the screen is on and it's really beginning to get on my nerves during quiet scenes. Having said that, my wife can't hear it unless there is no sound at all.

Like you Elvis, I might get Christmas out of the way and then see what, if anything, can be done.

John

12. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon if it goes for in for repair now I won't see it again this side of christmas.

13. mafioso

mafioso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Johndon,

this worsening buzzing you have does sound a bit concerning.
    Can you pinpoint where the buzzing sound is coming from?
    Is it definitely coming from the display itself or from the media box.
    Also do you think its being caused by the power supply as appears to be the case for a lot of Pio owners

14. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Its coming from the right hand side of the panel as you look at it - the media box is completely silent. I'm guessing that it is the power supply. It may be that it just appears to be worse now that I'm more inclined to listen for it.

John

15. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If it was an inherent problem, wouldn't these repair agents just tell you that?

16. chrismo

chrismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    elvis, the noise on my screen is coming from the back of the panel, looking through the vents at the back theres a sh**load of capacitors on a board(s), its in this general direction where the noise (high pitched electrical humming)is coming from. I thought id read on this board somewhere about hitachi knowing about this prob, when i told the guys at yorkshire multimedia (on the phone) they said they had not heard of this, but after they had come out , took the back off, told the father in law it was a known fault and that they could repair it in situ hopefully within the next few days . Not holding my breath that much, but ill keep y'all posted

Chris

17. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose my comments about whether or not the buzzing can be fixed stem from the lack of posts on this forum from people who have had the issue resolved.

Chrismo, did the repair co. take your set away or are they doing the work in your house?

18. chrismo

chrismo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope they told my father in law theyd be able to repair it /swap the board at my house when ithe part arrived from hitachi, have yet to ring them to confirm, noise comes and goes in loudness dependant on whats on screen ie brightness, just as well their not taking it away cos a 10 yr old portable would look a bugger on my glass stand :)

Still looking for engineer codes to access screen time/life

cheers my dears

chris

19. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Despite beginning to notice the buzz most of the time when watching TV, I was playing on the XBOX (Worms 3D - fantastic game) last night and couldn't hear the buzz despite the volume being down low.

With my ear up against the front of the panel, I still couldn't hear anything until I moved to the right of the panel and could just about hear it.

John

20. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the buzz varies with use, the longer the set is on the louder it buzzes. Had you just switched it on when you were playing on your xbox?

The service agents tell me they have the part that will fix this (not sure I believe them entirely-but we will see) so they are going to try and fit it in-situ on monday. I guess if that doesn't work they will want to take the set away. I'll post on here and let everybody know how I get along.

I can practically guarantee that when they arrive to check out the set it won't be buzzing, although I intend to leave it on for a while to 'buzz up' if I can.

21. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    It had been on for around 2 hours - more than long enough for me to hear the buzzing if we'd been watching TV.

John

22. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Xbox make more noise than a jet at takeoff :) so I can't tell whether the TV buzzes at the same time or not.

23. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Service agent came to look at my buzzing set, apparently the buzzing is normal and there's nothing that can be done to reduce it. To be honest I'm not particularly surprised, after all it was very quiet, but at least I know there's nothing wrong with my TV.

24. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I spoke to my dealer about the buzzing from mine which, to my ears, appears to be getting worse and is clearly audible from the viewing position when watching TV and, given the current state of play with service agents, he's agreed to swap it for a new panel which should be coming next week.

Lets just hope the buzz is quieter on the new one!

John

25. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    See my post 7/11 two panels - both buzz similarly. One thing I have discovered is that moving it slightly nearer the wall reduced the aparent volume of the buzz - I guess it's to do with standing waves or something technical like that!

26. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have pushed my plasma up against the wall and dropped a couple of sound absorbing panels behind the set. The light fittings in the the room now make more noise than the TV. In fact I think I have mistaken their buzz for that of the TV on several occaisions.

27. tman

tman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    The old panel buzzing thread is doing the rounds again then....

I've had my 4 series Panny for over a year now, and it's made a low buzz from day 1. It's never really bothered me though. It's coming from the capacitors in the back, on the right hand side, as per most of you.

It goes up slightly when the screen is brighter, but either I'm used to it now, or it's certainly not got any worse. I've heard some horror stories where pristine panels are sent away for repair of this 'fault', and come back scratched and damaged, with the buzz still there (or worse!), so at this stage, mine is going nowhere.

You've got the buzz, but do any of you have the 'crack'. The old panel warming up, expanding slightly and causing the case to flex. That's a bit worrying at first I can tell you, but no harm seems to be done.

28. Dalorp

Dalorp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I've had the crack with my panny 6. Kept leaping out the chair at first to make sure the thing wasn't coming off the wall.

29. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I knew before I bought the Hitachi that it was going to buzz (although I have actually seen one that made absolutely no noise at all even with my ear right up against the right hand side at the rear of the panel).

However, I don't think that I should be able to hear it from the viewing position which is around 3m away from the screen. When watching a program with lots of dialog and no background music, the buzz is audible.

Mine is mounted to the wall so is as close as it's going to get although I might try the sound absorbing panels - where did you get them from Elvis?

John

30. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound absorbing panels are my own 'creation'. Two pieces of corrugated plastic packing board with several layers of bubble wrap taped to one side. They lean against the back of the TV and are spaced away slightly at the top to allow any heat to escape (although they don't get hot). They serve to muffle the higher pitched sound and render the buzz inaudible unless you really strain to hear it. Even without them though the noise from the set isn't much bother from the viewing position about 4 meters away. If your set is fixed to the wall then I don't know if this approach would work.

After some experimentation I have discovered that most of the buzzing sound 'escapes' from the top of the set and have wondered about fitting a shelf over the TV to provide sound absorbtion/deflection. Playing around with a few different materials showed this to be the most effective way of cutting down the buzz. If you really want to get serious then you could fix some egg crates behind the TV and on the underside of the shelf for true 'silent running'.

At the moment the buzzing noise rarely bothers me so reducing it's volume isn't a priority for me.