1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD3000 - progressive scan ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bedders, Oct 6, 2003.

1. bedders

bedders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can I get confirmation that the Hitachi 42PD3000 does PAL and NTSC progressive scan?

The brocure I have clearly shows it does, but there are some posts here suggesting the Hitachi's don't do ps ?

Do these other posts relate to the 42PMA400E ?

Just want to check before I go buy a ps DVD player :)

Thanks in advance...

2. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    42PD3000 does accept NTSC & PAL progressive inputs (as does the 42PMA400E). However, it doesnt display progressivly, rather converts all inputs to interlaced for display.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    What you may have seen is a PMA400 issue, a problem it has displaying prog. scan. There is apparently a fix being sorted for it. It doesn't apply to the PD3000, they seem to be hassle free on prog. scan, though as Tbrar says, it's of debatable merit as the screen itself is interlaced, and the debate about what exactly goes on inside the screen is unclear. A few people have got quite hot under the collar about it. Suffice to say the end result is pleasing for many.

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What do you mean or do you mean what you say.

If so what the point of having Progressive

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,504
    you are better off feeding it an interlaced signal as it's an ALIS panel, no point going for a progressive scan DVD player with that display as the end result will be worse than feeding it a good interlaced signal.

Cheers
    Andy

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No point whatsoever. There is no more information in a progressive signal, it's just presented in a more logical and ordered fashion. The ALIS panel lights up it's lines of pixels alternately, as the acronym suggests. Therefore it is just as happy with a good interlaced signal, unlike a Panasonic or Pioneer panel, which has a marked preference, all else being equal, for a progressive signal. In itself, this shouldn't put you off a Hitachi screen, for me this has little relevance to why I'm not a fan. In fact the PMA400 has a lot going for it, but all integrated TV panels are a pain in the butt for remote control, and have a tuner of less than optimum quality.

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I am interested in your comment.

If you has the choise you would probable go for the PMA400 over the 3000?

A dealer suggested that I may suffer lip sync problems going that route when using it with a DD sound system.

What would u use for a tuner and how would you connect it?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Netgem freeview scart to component, I have the pin no's, and sort out the lip synch if any with delays on the amp, but theyre usually no worse with a panel than a tv

9. kharris777

kharris777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what its worth I went into Sevenoaks hifi in Kingston and asked the question re Hitachi Prog scan. He actually said it was something to do with Hitachi "not paying a royalty fee to the PAL people". He actually said that it was nothing to do with ALIS why it would show a progressive input as interlaced!

What is that all about? Sounds like bull to me? Is there a standards body for Pal? Tell you what, I always thought these guys knew what they were talking about!

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Kharris, they sound worrying. They clearly do not understand ALIS, nor prog. scan. The issue has been done to death in other threads