Hitachi 42PD3000 Plasma

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul97, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I am thinking of buying the Sony 930 DVD player mainly because of the progressive output, but after reading various forums & WVSV they say it is best connected to a "Non Interlaced" Plasma display. My question is
    a: What the hell is this
    b: My palsma has ALIS technology and have read that it is not worth the extra outlay.
    Please help me!

Paul :eek:

2. anpool

anpool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same plasma and after auditioning a couple of players went for the Sony 930. The Hitachi is capable of displaying video from a component progressive input and you get a great picture with the sony. You could spend hours working out exactly what AVLS and the other fancy video processing does with a Progressive scan signal versus an interlaced one - the Hitachi screen is higher resolution than most pannels and presumably needs all this. I just tried both inputs and the progressive version seems best. Trouble is you really notice how bad NTL digital / analogue / DVB images are in comparison.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've got the 32 inch screen partnered with a denon 2200. It looks great supplied with interlaced & progressive signal (prog marginally better to my eyes). Is it worth getting prog scan for it's own sake - I don't think so. Is it worth investing in a good dvd player - yes

4. Paul97

Paul97

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the replies, I will probably purchase the Sony just for being a good DVD player.

5. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a Hitachi pma 400e (basically the same screen as yours) and a sony 930 player.

Alis technoligy means it is a 1024/512 resolution but it uses interlacing to get it up to 1024/1024 so in theory progressive scan should make absolutelly no difference whatsoever as the processing in the screen has to put it back to interlaced anyway.

I have tried prog scan on my screen and indeed could see very little difference, however this is far from a cut and dried fact and has been debated at great length in the past on the plasma forum.

This said I am very happy with my player. :)

6. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ALiS screens take an interlaced signal and internally convert them into a progressive one. They then re scale to 1024 x 1024 pixels before de-interlacing to display on the screen. If the progressive scan chip the the DVD is better than the one in the screen itself then the picture could well be better than feeding an interlaced signal.

I'm going to get a top DVD player for more than one reason, picture, CD , SACD and DVD-A. All good DVD players now come with progressive scan (NTSC and PAL). I have a Hitachi 400E screen (ALiS) am will feed it a progressive scan signal assuming it gives at least as good quality picture.

7. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not arguing here as the only knowledge i have of the subject is from this forum in the past, but as far as i know you cant bypass the internal circuitary that converts to prog scan even if you input in prog scan from the dvd player. This would mean that even if the chip on the dvd is superior it has to go through the inferior one before it hits your screen ?

Whatever the process i can confirm prog scan makes absolutely no difference whatsoever on my display.

8. anpool

anpool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After all the debate I tried my screen with Progressive and interlaced output using the Sony in a scientific test involving my wife (who knows nothing about the techy stuff but complains about the grainy picture with analogue signals) and my two children 10 and 14 - In short they couldn't tell the difference at all so perhaps my view was tainted by the £220 I spent on the new sony player. One thing is certain though the sony is miles better than the Richer sounds Cambridge players I auditioned with the Hitachi. I'm now going to stop playing with technology and watch some films.