1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD3000 & JS converter - improved picture?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TP2K, Aug 13, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I dumped my LG and got a shiny new Hitachi plasma, I am very pleased with the picture.

I have my Telewest and DVD both outputting RGB and connected via the RGB enabled dedicated Tuner box.

I had previously connected the DVD to the Tuner box using component, but preferred the picture given with RGB Scart.

My question is this:

Will a JS Technologies converter (ie RGB -> Component as VGA is not compatible with the Hitachi) actually improve my picture quality at all?

What I mean is, is this device going to enhance my picture I am actually now getting, or is it basically a "plug changer"?

Thanks if anyone knows!

2. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a PMA400E which is the same screen. Having compared all the connections for a long time component is the best connection quality wise but not by far, the svideo is also very good.

I use the component for my dvd player and the svideo for sky digital.

I have a spare JS converter box only 2 months old if you require one - my new dvd player has component out so i no longer need it.

The composite input should be steered clear from, I found it rubbish.

3. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JS Tech box certainly isn't just a plug changer:eek:

But the only way that you are going to get a benefit from this is if you use it to connect RGB sources directly to the plasma. John's boxes are designed to provide a higher quality input to your display than the tuner box itself, as was the case with the Panasonic tuner when I got my display, or with people that are after the Pio MXE, which doesn't have SCART inputs, but is a higher quality screen than its HDE brother.

Not seen your display or the tuner, so can't comment if it will make a large difference.

Kind Regards,

James

4. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So... are you saying that I *may* see a beneficial difference with a JS box, but ONLY if the connection bypasses the Hitachi tuner box? Thus losing the connectivity/aut0-switching etc features?

5. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The glass in the two Hitachi screens maybe the same but the electronics are totally different. You cannot according to Hitachi bypass the AV box on the 42PD3000 so it is unlikely that the JS Box will give a better picture than a direct connection. Good it maybe magic it probably is not. Unless Dr John says different.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    TP2K

John's RGB2YUV 'plug changer' (he's obviously not seen you post as yet!) is a signals converter and whilst it does have its applications I cant see it dong anything 'advantageous' in your System as you have SCART RGB inputs on your Media Box.

I'd look at a decent set of SCART cables (assuming your still using standard freebies ones) as the next step in refining your image and if your running the audio into your Media Box or an AV amp via Stereo or Digital audio cables and dont require audio down the SCART cable I'd go for RGB only SCART cables.

Best regards

Joe

7. dougall

dougall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Manc

I have recently bought a 42pma400e and will have to buy a js scart to component convertor...do you still want to get rid of yours? also is it feasible to keep switching the dvd player and the sky digital into the convertor as my sky does not have s-video connection but my dvd player does but i would prefer to take it through component

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
    dougall

The JS Converter will only accept an RGB Input signal - not S-Video.

If your DVD player has the ability to output RGB via its SCART socket (assuming it has one) you need to plug the RGB SCART Out of the DVD player into the RGB SCART In on your Digibox then the RGB SCART out of the Digibox into the JS Converter.

Whenever you put the Digibox into standby and your DVD player is On you will then get the RGB signal from the DVD player passed through the Digibox and into the JS Converter.

You also need to ensure that your DVD player and Digibox are set to output RGB - its best to attach them one at a time to a portable TV or similar and go into the set up menus and make the relevant menu adjustments.

I hope the above makes sense.

Joe

9. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Plug changer?? Some people....

The converter is a complex series of electronics to combine the RGB signals in such a way as to produce the YUV. But not only this, but it also has a higher than normal bandwidth to preserve more detail than would be available from an off-the-shelf IC design would allow. The result is a better picture.

Plug changer? Yes, but one which also converts the signals on route!

All the best,

Dr John Sim.