1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42pd3000 image 'strangeness'...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by simonburgess, Nov 8, 2003.

1. simonburgess

simonburgess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I've got my Hitachi 42pd3000 (for £3000 from JL - thanks folks!) hanging on my living room wall and I need some advice on improving the picture quality please.

I've got an old Yamaha DVD and a Telewest Digital box (yeah, I know. Seemed like a good idea at the time...) going into it, and the picture from both is pretty good - but doesn't quite have that 'wow' factor that I expected after the demos.

Light bits are nice and light, dark bits are nice and dark, but the in-between bits look a bit, well, a bit 'snowy'. I watched the 1st few scenes from LOTR and it looked fantastic - apart from, for example, the wooden supports in Bilbo's house(?) They seemed a bit, like I say, 'snowy'.

All the menus from the Telewest box are crystal clear, and everythings going via RGB not composite. I can see some of the artifacts from rubbish channels and that doesn't bother me. I'm a bit concerned about this 'snowy-ness' though. I think I can see some dot crawl on the DVD menus (but I might just be making that up because I don't really know what dot crawl is).

Anyway, do you think it could be as simple as 'buy some decent scart cables', or something more fundamental? I might try component video from a new DVD player (and please, for goodness sake, I don't want to start another prog. scan / ALIS rant) to see if that makes any difference.

Any help much appreciated.

2. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only 2 of the 3 scart connections to the multi-media box are RGB compatable. Can't remember which one isn't, but check your manual. It may be that you have just connected scart to the wrong socket.

3. simonburgess

simonburgess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its definitely connected to an RGB input (Av2) and I've got my VHS connected to Av1 which is the composite input.

I tried outputting from the Telewest box as composite but the picture was just too soft and fuzzy...

4. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check you are using good quality scart cables and that there is no other potential source of interference nearby. Is everything connected nice and tight?

I have the same screen, but don't suffer the problems you describe, so it's not an inherent problem.

5. jamieholo

jamieholo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem on my 42pd3000. I'm definitely using one of the RGB enabled inputs and an RGB scart cable, although this was only £15 or so from argos. Maybe a better quality lead would help?