1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD3000 HDTV Compatible?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Eurostar, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Eurostar

Eurostar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVI input of the 42PD3000 is HDTV Compatable, as the input is digital, but the 1024x1024 resolution is NOT true HD, although it is so close, the difference is negligible. However, the pin arrangement is not DVI standard, and also includes a switching input. I use an HDMI to Hitachi DVI convertor box (which is NOT commercially available) which gets round this problem, and does away with using the AV box. The tested result is far superior to using the AV4 component input or VGA input on the AV box. I plan to connect the new Sony RDR-HXD910 DVD Recorder using the HDMI convertor box, and thus doing away with the Hitachi AV box, DVD Player, Video recorder, and Freeview box. Hitachi could quite easily produce a HDMI convertor box at minimal cost, but would prefer you to buy a new Hitachi plasma or LCD TV.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Does it accept 720p @ 50hz?

John

3. Eurostar

Eurostar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The convertor box was made by a friend who used to work for the BBC as an electronics expert. and now works for the military. He bought a second hand 42PD3000, and made the box, for his own. And made a copy for me. I dont know the technical details, but he did mention something about interlaced scaling circuitry, and the fact that it comes fairly close to HDMI, but is NOT true HDMI. The difference is noticable compared to component or VGA. It has an HDMI plus Hitachi DVI (for use with AV box) input sockets (switchable), and adaptor socket. And has one Hitachi DVI output socket. When he comes back from holiday, I will ask him for the technical details, and post it to you.

4. masterchef

masterchef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now there's a coincidence. Exactly what I figured out was the way to go, box for box! The problem is I do not have such an obliging friend. And the amount of information available on the 42PD300 DVI interface is close to zero. So is your friend prepared to do us all a sevice by offering details of his box, or, better still, offer it for sale? I would be most interested if he was. Could be some serious money to be made when the choice is to junk your two year old 42PD3000 in favour of buying a new HDMI enabled screen, or to buy a cunning interface box.

5. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    From research I have been doing over the past day or so, it would appear that the 42pd3000 will not accept 720p over the component inputs. However the pma400E that is essentially the same panel does, so the problem is the media box. The dvi slot on the telly is a 'special' type that only accepts the media box and not dvi signals unless using the adapter mentioned above that no-one else can get. However, I have managed to borrow a media pc that connects via the vga in on the media box. This has proved capable of outputing a 720p signal to the panel. I watched a NTSC ts of lost in hidef and it was just awesome, so clearly this televison is hidef capable. The problem is getting a component to VGA converter that will maintain the 720p signal output by the sky HD box. The js tech converter is stuck at 570p, although they state they are trying to make a new one. There appears to be X-box adapters that claim to do this but I have been unable to test them. However the outlook for us 42pd3000 owners seems quiet rosey.

6. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    SKY will be 720p/50 though, so unless the box accepts 720p/50 then surely it won't work with SKY HD?

7. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hmm. now theres a good point! Missed that one.

any tips how to get a media pc to output a 720p/50 signal to test? Or anywhere that I'll be able to download a 720p/50h video file to test? All the ones 'available' are caps from us sources.

8. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Just force 50hz vertical refresh using something like Powerstrip, works for me.

9. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've no idea if im doing it right but the tv display comes up 50.0 hz when I manipulate in powerstrip. It seems to display any refresh rate that powestrip outputs though.

10. midknight

midknight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,004
    So then (in theory) if I connect my xbox360 to this set via the VGA socket then the tv should display at 720p ?

11. duke748

duke748

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Exactly what I'm doing at the moment with mine. I use it to watch all those nice 720p lost avi's

I bought the vdigi box

Component from Xbox into the vdigi
    vdigi output to vga socket on the media box

12. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    vdigi box? :confused:

13. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Ok, I admit I am stupid, what is a vdigi box?

14. masterchef

masterchef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I may be missiing something here, but I thought the point of feeding the 42PD3000 through the DVI input on the panel was to avoid the digital (e.g. from a DVD player) to analogue (e.g. VGA) conversion and stay in the digital domain. Sure, using the media box VGA input will work, but that means digital to analogue and back to digital for the panel feed. DVI was introduced to avoid all this. But I would be interested to know if doing it this way actually improves things relative to using the component inputs to the madia box.

For what it is worth, my own very limited research and knowledge suggests that the 42PD3000 needs a digital feed to its DVI socket which is formatted to suit its ALIS panel requirements and its 1024x1024 pixel format. This is not compatible with a standard DVI output, so a scaler chip will be required. Which is what I hoped we would learn from Eurostar's original post.

15. CLOSE-CIRCUIT

CLOSE-CIRCUIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I purchased a 42pd 5300 just over a year ago and just got around to installing it this week. I was shocked to find that it is not HD ready as the mag. that I bought at the time said it was highdef and future proof!( What ****** issue 6 ). Hitachi has now dropped av3000e with no regard for all the customers who bought plasma's with this box!
    I read the previous threads with insterest. I am told that a converter is avaliable from Lektropacks (vision fc4).
    Can I do away with the av3000e and connect the DVI cable to another source such as DVD?
    Any help out there?

16. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

You just have to use the tuner box with this tv as the dvi port is non standard. The av3000 tuner box (same one in 3000 + 5300) models screws you. The component is limited to 480p and it just cannot take a 50hz signal through the VGA port at anything other that VGA/SVGA/XGA settings (ie 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024) which are all 4:3. It will not take 1080i or 720p at 50hz. Almost every resoultion is fine at 60hz though. The visonfc4 simply outputs what it receives, so, there is just no way to make this tv sky HD capable unless you buy a video processor such as an iscan ultra+ (£800). With this scaler you can input skyhd through the component inputs. deinterlace/scale/process and output at 60hz using frame rate conversion using the vga out port. This will give you sky HD. I have tried this very setup (except used the iscan VP30 and BNC to vga cables) and found that the frame rate conversion is acceptable and hardly noticeable on the 42pd3000.

Saying that, is it worth spending £800ish just to do a half arsed work around to make an old plasma almost compatible? Or is it better to invest that £800 and buy a hitachi 7200 for an extra £550? Better still, sell the 5300 for about £400 on ebay and then its only £950 for the 7200!

Or live without skyHD and just 'source' Hidef 60hz versions of your favourite tv shows from the interweb thingy.

17. andharr

andharr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I too have got a 42PD3000, and can confirm that the Vision FC4 does work with Sky HD to produce a very nice picutre at 1080i at 50Hz.

http://www.lektropacks.com/view_item...34&&category=5

I'm now using the FC4 with the Sky HD set to 1080i. I tried at 720p and was able to adjust the horizontal position and the clock option on the PC setup on the Hitachi and was able to get an image that filled about 75% of the screen, the right hand 25% being black. So I'll keep the Sky HD set to 1080i.

For any other owners wondering about the quality it's a big improvement from SD on the right material. Torchwood on the weekend looked very nice, and Planet Earth (the Mountain one) is quite spectacular.