1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD3000 - HDTV capable?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by plusman, Mar 10, 2005.

1. plusman

plusman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody know if the Hitachi 42PD3000 is capable of using a HDTV signal (such as from the proposed HDTV Sky box)? It has a "DVI-type" connector on the bottom of the screen, but I'm not sure if it is HDTV capable.

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    If it has a resolution of 1024 X 1024, as per the 42PMA400E ( and others) , then it certainly will, using component inputs, although you won't get the full spec Hi Def picture until better sets are released (later this year, I believe).

3. plusman

plusman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

It does have a resolution of 1024x1024 and the multimedia box does have component input.

The TV itself also has a "DVI-type" connector (where the multimedia box feeds into) - don't know if this can handle a HDTV signal.

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The Hitachi 42PD3000 will not handle true HD as the dvi input on the screen is primarily to connect the media box and the screen won't work without it.
    Might be time to consider getting the newer 42PD5200.

5. plusman

plusman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stellavision - thanks for the info.

However since my PD3000 is just over a year old and cost £'000's, I don't think I'll be replacing it that soon :suicide:

6. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Sorry to contradict, but if the set will accept component input, then it will show an HD picture. I have proved this on the PMA 400E which I've driven from HD D-VHS tapes sourced from the USA. As I said above though, it's not the full spec HD, as it's only 1024 X 1024, but the HD picture is excellent nevertheless.

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    It will show a decent resolution picture via component, but as I stated it is not TRUE, or should I have said 'fully' hi-def compliant. The max resolution obtainable via component is 480/576p. To accept a 720 or 1080 signal the screen would need to be connected via DVI, HDMI or SDI.

8. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Just been thinking about this and what I really mean is that as far as I'm aware it is the source, ie. dvd player or whatever, that restricts the HD output. For example; my Denon 1910 will output resolutions upto 1080 over dvi, but will only output 480/576 over component. However, a hi def equiped xbox will do 1080 over component.
    With that in mind, I don't know what the hi def requirments and connectivity will be yet for the Sky Hi def box.

9. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Yeh, My HD D-VHS player outputs true HD over the component outputs, and the TV displays it fine. D-VHS movies such as Castaway appear much better than the DVD equivalent, so I think it is working OK as an HD picture, but not 'top spec' HD.

10. plusman

plusman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information

11. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    The OP was asking about Sky HD though - which is only guaranteed to deliver HD over DVI+HDCP or HDMI - not analogue component...

It may well offer analogue component outputs as well - we don't know for sure yet.

12. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Exactly the point I was trying to make.

13. duke748

duke748

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    To jump on the thread.

My ntsc Xbox will not handle 720p 1080i via the component cables on my 42pd3000. The picture looks like its lost horizontal hold when enabled in the dash and HD games are played.

However I bought a convertor from http://www.vdigi.com that upscales via the vga and I get it fully working in these resolutions via this method.

Tested on :
    Freedom Fighters 720p
    Dragons Lair 1080i
    Sould Calibur II 720p

Again playing hidef video is not possible from XBMC unless going via the vdigi and vga

14. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    time to resurect this thread!

so to clarify. If I get a component to VGA adapter and the series one sky hd box, then the 42pd3000 will display hi def?

If so, will any cable do or will I need to import this vdigi one?

15. duke748

duke748

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    As long as the new sky box has got analogue component outputs ( everywhere I have looked have seemed to suggest it will ) it should be fine

There maybe other products on the market - not sure, but the vdigi I imported came within the week of ordering it if I remember.

16. PeterGP

PeterGP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would the same sort of process work for my PC VGA output to the Hitachi 3000e tuner box? My graphics card allows me to force 1080i and/or 720p and I can get the HDTV samples from the Microsoft site to play. The picture looks good but I dont know if it is truly 1080i or 720p. TV picture quality through the Blackgold Digital freeview cards on the PC (VGA) is not as good as through the sky box (RGB Scart).
    Thanks for reactivating this thred still need to squeeze some more life out of my 42pd3000!
    Peter.

17. andharr

andharr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The 42pd3000 can only do 720p at 60Hz via the VGA input. So the SkyHD box would need to have an option to output at 60Hz, or you would need some other way to convert the 720p 50Hz output of the SkyHD box to 60Hz.

I'd love to know if this is achievable in a reasonable cost.

18. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    To do this at high quality would require a broadcast standards converter that would cost tens of thousands of dollars at least. I'd be VERY surprised if the Sky box would output 50Hz broadcasts as 60Hz, as the quality of conversion in a set-top box is likely to be lousy?

Does the set accept a 1080/50i input? I think it is far more likely that HD receivers (as many do in the US), will allow a fixed output resolution - say 1080/50i - irrespective of whether the receiver is being fed a 720/50p or 1080/50i source. Cross-conversion between 50p and 50i will be much easier to do in quality than field/frame rate conversion between 50 and 60.

19. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I asked this very question from Hitachi who told me that the 42pd3000 only does 720p at 60hz. However, it can display 1080i at both 50 & 60hz. So the new question is 'will the skyHD box output a 1080i signal from a 720p broadcast?' If so then our plasma should be ok (if we can find a HD component to HD vga adapter that doesn't currently exist other than for a us xbox)

20. andharr

andharr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Poggs. Being able to do 1080i at 50Hz is great news! As duke748 mentioned in his post he uses a component to VGA adapter. This site gives a good run down on it's abilities, it's not just for Xboxes.
    http://www.hometheaterworld.com/cotovgaadwco.html
    So it seems there is a fair chance the 42PD3000 will work with SkyHD.

What we need to know (summarising from recent posts):
    1. Will the SkyHD box have component outputs? Yes, that's what sky used to say on their web site.
    2. Will you be able to set the SkyHD box to always output at 1080i regardless of source material? Unknown, but some US HD boxes have this feature, so it's certainly possible.
    3. Is a HD Component to VGA adapter available? Yes. $299 or less.
    4. Can the 42PD3000 handle 1080i at 50Hz? Hitachi say yes. I wonder if somebody can confirm this by actually testing it?

So we just need an answer for Q2 and confirmation for Q4!
    Andy

21. andharr

andharr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Responding to my own post!

I've just found an interesting product
    http://www.spatz-tech.de/spatz/dvi_hdcp.htm
    That might mean the SkyHD box won't even need component outputs. You could go from HDMI->DVI in on the Spatz bos->VGA.

Would still need the SkyHD box to be forced to always output a 1080i signal even if it is receiving a 720p signal.

Andy

22. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Nice but not cheap.

23. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    uh oh!
    I have been connecting up my media pc to the 42pd3000e for the past few days trying to get a decent picture from it but thats another story.
    Anyway, using powerstrip, the panel is spectaculary fussy at 50hz, only displaying standard vga/svga/xga at 50hz. It will not display 1920 by 1080i or 1360/1280 by 720 at 50hz. fine at 60hz. Black screen at 50hz. New plasma needed I think.

24. andharr

andharr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Resurrect this thread, again!

It seems there might be an option for the 42PD3000 to work with SKY HD

http://store.pcpowerzone.com/vicotovgsc.html

This will convert an input via component connections to an output using VGA. And it will convert from 50hz to 60hz!

I regularly run my panel at 1280x720 at 60hz from a PC. It does drop around 16 pixels left and right, top and bottom from the image.

On paper, this looks like a way to get this panel working. At less than $200 it's way more affordable than a new panel. But is it any good?

25. Diddy_Dave

Diddy_Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi having looked at the past treads, it seems likley that my old 42pd3000 which still produces a great picture might be able to output a High Def Picture from the component output of a Sky HD box. If anyone has chance to try this before 22 May I would be grateful as thats when I have Sky HD installed. If it doesn't work then I will go for 9700 I think. Just worried about the stock situation if I leave it late as the World Cup in HD is a must.

26. cs939

cs939
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry but the 42pd3000 cannot handle 720p or 1080i over component as i tried it with mine hooked up to a Humax hdci-2000, it would only work with the 576 standard definition resolution.
    Sold my 42pd3000 and bought a 42pd7200 which can handle HiDef @ 720 & 1080i.

Cs939

27. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Lektropacks do a HDMI to VGA/Component convertor. Not cheap, but neither is a new plasma !

28. olrad_red

olrad_red

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 42PD3000 which is wall mounted. Does anyone know if the 7200 or 5200 use the same cables to save me digging into the wall again? I'm seriously tempted to upgrade for HD but the wife will kill me if I even mention changing the cables!

29. cs939

cs939
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 7200 doesn,t have a media box (like the 3000) all the connections are on the Tv itself
    1 x Hdmi
    3 x scart
    1 x component
    1 x svideo
    1 x composite

Don't know about the 5200

Cs939

30. Sparkie1138

Sparkie1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm hoping someone could tell me whether my old old plasma tele (Hitachi CMP402HDE) is HD compatible. I'm yet to fully understand exactly what constitutes HD and what cables you need to use to maximise picture quality, but it displays my XBox360 in 720p using RGB component. I don't know if that means it does work with HD or if it just displays as good a picture it can which isn't actually HD. According to various websites, it has 1024 x 1024 resolution, but i don't honestly know if that's good or bad.

The reason i ask is cos of SKY HD, I can't really afford a new tele, my one is from back in the day in all honesty, it's not even a tv, more a viewing panel, and i'm kind of hoping it's still got some life in it. It has a pc input on the back also, as well as svideo, but no built in aerial or tv decoder like you get as standard nowadays. Currently, both tv from the normal sky box (via recordable dvd player) and xbox go into the RGB input through a splitter box that allows me to switch between the two.

Sorry if this is long winded, any advice is much appreciated, worse case scenario, i've got my eye on a 43inch pioneer but i'd prefer not to have to kick the old girl out just yet.

Thanks