1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD3000 Cable questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stefan_Tapp, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Stefan_Tapp

Stefan_Tapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Can any of you guys who already have this plasma answer my questions?

I don't think the supplied DVI/8 pin mini din cable will be long enough, and I'm reluctant to pay the asking price for the Hitachi 10m cable.

So the questions are:-

1) The DVI cable, is it single or dual? M-F etc? I have seen this site which gives good pics of different types DVI

2) The 8 pin mini din, is the pin config like the one here also is it M-M etc?

Thanks in advance guys

Stef

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are both male to male but I'm not clever enough to know the configuration

3. 3george

3george
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much is the pukka Hitachi replacement then ?

3george

4. Stefan_Tapp

Stefan_Tapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    £188.98 inc delivery from unbeatable.co.uk, now you see why I'm desperate to find out if the cables mentioned above will fit!!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's pretty unlikely that you can use a non hitachi cable, it might also invalidate your warranty.

6. s8ngy

s8ngy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made up my own 5 metre cable for this using a standard DVI-D cable from Lindy £15-00.

The 8 pin mini din cable is made from maplin connectors soldered straight through with individually shielded 8 core cable.

You need to be good at soldering regarding the 8 pin mini dins as they are fiddly and break easily.

You cannot use a commercial 8 pin apple mac straight thru cable as the shielding is important. You will get digital chatter through the speakers if you don't use the right cable.

All in it cost £25 for a 5m cable add £10 if you want a 10m cable. I dont advise you make a cable much longer than this though.

7. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    stef why dont you buy DVI-D cable and cut 1 end off and then buy a Miniature 8 pin DIN Line Plug
    Im only going on what s8NGY hase side but insted off buying a 8 pin mini din cable why not just buy the 8 pin dim plug then solder the DVI-D cable end that you would cut of to the dim plug
    link to website there on 35 pence
    http://www.pcwking.freeserve.co.uk/components.html

8. Stefan_Tapp

Stefan_Tapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Slim,

The screen uses 2 cables, a DVI and an 8 pin mini din, as far as I know they are separate cables (although physically joined).

s8ngy,
    I can get a dedicated 8 pin min din cable which has the following description, do you think that would be suitable?

"Tin-plated copper contacts provide maximum conductivity and keep data loss to a minimum. Flextec PVC rubberized cable jacket is extremely flexible for use in tight areas. The Belkin Lifetime Warranty. Molded strain relief and PVC overmolding to ensure a lifetime of error-free data transmission. 28 AWG stranded tinned copper conductors are individually insulated in polypropylene to minimize cross talk, ensuring high-speed, error-free transmission. Ground indents provide excellent conductivity and retention with mating conductors. Aluminum connector shielding helps to meet FCC requirements on EMI/RFI interference"

Stef

9. s8ngy

s8ngy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stef,

This cable may be ok. The digital chatter seems to be from within the cable which is why I used an individually shielded type. However the chatter can only be heard at quite high volumes and cannot be heard whilst watching tv normally. Make sure the cable is straight through pin to pin as most min din cables are for the apple world and have crossovers in them.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you go more than 5m on DVI it'll need to be better than the lindy ones, they're not bad, but not designed for long runs at high res. to large screens. You'll still be saving a stack of money over the hitachi one if you give joe@tmfsolutions.co.uk a ring to talk about Bettercables, which he is agent for. Mind you, the risk is only £25 or something on the lindy one if it's not up to the job, and the bettercables one is around £60-£80 I think, but it will work at 10m without sparklies.

11. Stefan_Tapp

Stefan_Tapp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the replies, I've got my fingers crossed that the standard cable will reach, if not I'll be looking for 3 metres max.

Stef