1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42pd3000 and Sky Digital

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by adam1974, Jun 11, 2003.

1. adam1974

adam1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having recently bought and installed one of these I have to say I am very happy with the PQ on DVD. Also the PQ on analogue tv signals is not too bad either.
    But I do notice that sometimes on Sky Digital any diagonal lines on some channels do go jagged.
    Is this something to do with the Sky Digital encoding? I am using a RGB scart into the tuner box.
    Like I said this is only a minor irritant and otherwise I find the plasma to be excellent. Is there is anything I can do to improve this and do other plasma owners also get this from Sky Digital?

Cheers

Adam

2. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I have a similar set-up and there are slight jagged edges on diagonals - if viewed very close to the screen say under 2' particularly on red. As these are not present on DVD sources I suspect it is a function of the Sky system.

3. adam1974

adam1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's interesting, as mine is definately very visable from the viewing distance of say 8 feet away.
    May be I have the brightness / colour settings too high?? What do you have yours set to, and I have seen people post their settings before as numbers ie. brightness = 34, but I only see a bar when I adjust my settings??

Thanks

Adam

4. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    The dispay is a bar but most people quote percentages - there is a white mark at the centre of the display =50pct.

The default brightness and sharpness settings are very harsh to my aging eyes, I am sure you can use the Dynamic settings to get a suntan!. I used a PAL DVD with the THX Optimiser(eg Star Wars) to set my favourites setting - the Hitachi appears to share its settings across the inputs. Certainly contrast from memory is about 35, brightness about the same, sharpness almost zero.

At first it looks dull but judge the effect on faces etc which start to look very natural. The settings will vary slightly according to viewing conditions and taste.