1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD3000 and Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Philip C, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Philip C

Philip C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seem to be mixed / contradictory comments (or maybe I'm just too thick to understand) about how the Hitachi 42PD3000 deals with NTSC and PAL progressive scan signals. I need to know before I make an expensive (potential) mistake.

I've got the Hitachi and was about to put my Pioneer 717 out to stud in favour of the Arcam 27A. Will I see dramatic improvements (a) generally and (b) specifically by using the progressive scan capability of the Arcam, or should I just spend the £1,900 on booze instead?

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Arrange a loan from your local dealer of a PS player & try it out. I borrowed a pioneer 757 to try on my 32 inch model & I couldn't see any real difference between prog / non prog signal so I'm sticking with my 656. You may notice more on a 42 inch model so it's worth a demo.

I would consider an upgrade from your existing machine but the 27a does seem to be an expensive option compared with say the 757 (which I believe is now capable of pal prog).

3. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Philip C,

Hopefully this may clear things up.

As you know the Alis panel is an interlaced display.

Consider what happens when you feed the panel an interlaced signal.

1.The interlaced signal is firstly converted to a progressive signal.
    2.This progressive signal is then scaled to fit the resolution of the screen.
    3.This newly scaled signal is then converted to interlaced in order to be displayed on the screen - due to the screen being an interlaced screen.

This is exactly what happens to all interlaced sugnals put into the display.

Fed a progressive signal, the process by-passes step one from above - this is already completed in the DVD player. The remainding two steps still have to occur. That exactly how any progressive signal is dealt with by the display.

It follows then that the only improvments to picture will be made in the way step 1 is handled by either the DVD player or the Display, and which does it better.

I previously owned the Hitachi 42PD3000 and used with my Arcam 88+, feeding the display both progressive and interlaced signals.

In all honesty the difference was completely minimal, if at all. On some scenes in some DVD's the PS picture looked slightly sharper, this was few and far between. Far to few for my liking.

As suggested is to demo and see for yourself.

Hope this helps.

Tony