1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42PD3000 / 42PMA400E

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by JimmyMc, Jan 19, 2003.

1. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all..

After our the little get-together of a few forum members down at Nexnix, I have most definately decided on a Hitachi..

After hearing the fans etc AND after realising that the JS Tech RGB -> VGA won't work with the Hitachi, I think I'll probably go for the Platara 42PD3000 which has the same screen plus an external media box which will solve all my connection worries (ie it has 3 x SCART, 2 of which are RGB)..

My only question is whether anyone knows if the video processing/scaling chip etc is the same in the external media box as in the screen of the 42PMA400E - ie NOT down the same path as the Pio HDE and MXE..

Anyone know?

Cheers, James

PS - At least I don't have to worry about a prog scan DVD player with this screen!

2. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry I can't answer your question James, but I'm also trying to find out more about this screen. Most web pages including Hitachi's only show a picture of the 32PD3000, not the 42PD3000 which has removeable speakers and no swivel stand (AFAIK).
    I guess we won't know until Russ actually gets some at Nexnix.
    I'm still torn between the MXE and the Hitachi, but I may be forced to choose by colour of bezel and looks!!!

3. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've just had a double check on hitachi's web site http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/ and it has been updated to show a picture of the 42PD3000 with a swivel stand and removable speakers, but the product brocure pdf is still wrong. Nexnix's picture is still of a 32PD3000.
    Isn't it great trying to buy all this stuff. What would we do without a forum like this!

Here's to the bleeding edge of technology (and more toys!)

Dave

4. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I know this may be a minor point, but one of the earlier posts has stated different coloured bezels are (will be ?) available for the pioneer. So adding further confusion !

5. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dave..

Russ at Nexnix says they're getting stock at the end of this week/early next week..

I'll let you know when they're in and we can arrange another demo if you like..

Phew!

Cheers, James

6. datanet

datanet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't know if anyone's still pondering, just noticed that the PMA400 has dropped by about £300 on Nexnix's site from what I paid... :-(
    That's over £1000 extra for the TV version with the media box and remote fans...
    Don't suppose anyone has thought about using any of the ideas for silent PC's from the HCPC forum on the monitor version?...quiter/ speed controlled fans, etc.

Chris

7. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - saw that but for me it is also about connections as well as the noise.. as the JS Tech box won't work I need the media box!

8. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    James,

have you looked at other VGA converters ? 7 Oakes were talking about one from keene. I haven't had chance to check it out, but, I am faced with the same problem.

i.e. I find it hard to justify £1000 for a tuner box just because of the connections. Therefore, there must be a way to utilise the VGA input of the 400E.

Other converters may give the 400E something it can work with.

Dave777, IMO if you watch the MXE and Hitachi together, you will find the decision pretty easy. They produce very different pictures, therefore, you will like one or the other...not both. So, be torn no more.

9. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alas, I don't think I could take the noise and there's no sign of a statement from Hitachi on whether they'll retro-fit the fix for the fan noise..

Trouble is everytime something gets fixed, a new panel comes out, or a new converter is discovered etc etc.. it just takes extra time to weigh up the pros and cons - I think I'm at the stage where I just don't want to carry on umming and arring anymore - I'd rather spend the dosh, sit back and relax!

10. datanet

datanet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JS did say that the RGB - component would work, not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between this and the VGA. Having used the screen for a few weeks now that may be preferable...you get more 'video' orientated sizing options on the video inputs than on the RGB.
    Personally, I'm really looking seriously at the HCPC route...the screen really does perform fantastically as a monitor and I really want some of the extra functionality, plus the flexibility of multiple and upgradeable transcoding, etc looks good.

Call me a tight Scots git, but £1000!!!...

Now I wonder if stealth fans would improve....
    I'd need to turn the music off to know right enough ;-)

Chris

11. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Chris,
    I guess the RGB-Component would work, but, I need (want) to put the DVD components in to that input.

Maybe JS, Joe or Gordon can advise

Cheers

Nick

12. leigh h

leigh h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I quite liked the look of the Hitachi 42 pma 400e but why will the JS--VGA box not work with the screen and what is available that might allow you to use the VGA port.:confused:

13. JimmyMc

JimmyMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stealth fans might work but I'll be a fishermans friend if I'm going to open it up when it's still under warranty! (hate fish/seafood)..

14. datanet

datanet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can't find the book for the Hitachi just now, but the horizontal scan only goes down to just under 30kHz....the JS converter operates around 15kHz.
    I'm just jealous Jimmy, I had to squeeze the extra dosh for the Hitachi because I was tempted by the Samsung until I had a good chance to look at it. So glad I did, the Hitachi really is a different world (esp at "=£2475!!!), particularly for PC. Look for me at any events tho, I'm the one with the earhorn... ;-)
    RE converters, as I said I'm really getting round to the thinking that spending the money on a decent PC to do the job would be the wisest in my case. From what I've read to date I'm not entirely convinced that any investment in progressive scan with these screens is really going to get a significant gain (re ALIS, etc)...I'm getting to thinking SDI/ 1080 to get a real benefit. Using the PC option means that you can change out any interface/ codec independantly and easily...but that's a personal perspective.

Chris

15. prusling

prusling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a 32PD3000 (with tuner box) and have been experimenting with a wide range of connections, but none direct to the panel's DVI input.

I have a pseudo-HCPC with a Sigma Xcard which can output VGA (using the Hitachi's tuner VGA input) which gives me 480p, 576p, and custom/native resolutions, and component which gives me 480p, no 576p yet :mad:, 720p and 1080i. I have been very impressed with all combinations I've tried, but my first experience of progressive was not as stunning as I'd expected - I don't know whether my expectations had been set too high or whether ALIS intervenes? Its still excellent, however, but not enough of an improvement on 576i via component to warrant reconfiguring the system each time I want to watch a DVD!

I'm dead keen to try out the 720p and 1080i but have no source material as DVD is of course limited to 576p. I've been looking for MPEG-4 or MPEG-2 clips at these resolutions to no avail so far. Any ideas?

Cheers, Peter

16. prusling

prusling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have a 32PD3000 (with tuner box) and have been experimenting with a wide range of connections, but none direct to the panel's DVI input.

I have a pseudo-HCPC with a Sigma Xcard which can output VGA (using the Hitachi's tuner VGA input) which gives me 480p, 576p, and custom/native resolutions, and component which gives me 480p, no 576p yet :mad:, 720p and 1080i. I have been very impressed with all combinations I've tried, but my first experience of progressive was not as stunning as I'd expected - I don't know whether my expectations had been set too high or whether ALIS intervenes? Its still excellent, however, but not enough of an improvement on 576i via component to warrant reconfiguring the system each time I want to watch a DVD!

I'm dead keen to try out the 720p and 1080i but have no source material as DVD is of course limited to 576p. I've been looking for MPEG-4 or MPEG-2 clips at these resolutions to no avail so far. Any ideas?

Cheers, Peter