1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 42 PD5300 Settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by siy, Jul 16, 2004.

1. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :hiya: - having just bought a Hitachi 42PD5300 I wondered whether anyone may be able to share their experience of this panel, with regards how you have the screen set up, ie contrast/colour and alll the other settings etc...etc...

There are obviously a host of different options, and I am struggling to get them best set. I use it for 80% normal tv viewing via NTL cable, and 20 % DVD movies.

Also, (as I'm fairly new to all this), I have read many posts about reducing the contrast and colour levels for the first hundred hours or so - Is that correct for this set too?

Many thanks for any help you can bring, and I will sign off by saying that it is one hell of a good set. :) :)

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  3. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many Thanks Leigh :thumbsup:

Will give that a go - on mine, I dont get the option of exact nos - I guess if it says brightness +7, I should just put it up 7 from the mid level?

(Sorry if this is blatantly obvious to everyone!!!)

Also - am I right in thinking I should have the settings all lower for the 1st 100 hours or so?

Thanks Again

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    your correct +7 will be up from the mid level :)

If you do a search on more of Duncans posts you will see he had problems getting to those settings. I think (not 100% sure) that those settings should be okay, mind you i havent got a plasma yet! Duncan also said that the screen got better after it had been run in

Have fun :thumbsup:

5. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys - Having spent the weekend sorting my new screen, and paying heed to everyone's comments - I still cannot get rid of the annoying plasticky skin tone problem. It is so annoying, and I fear whether I have actually chosen the right plasma.

Some of the settings that I got from different threads here, are for the PD 5200. The menu on the PD 5300 is slightly different - so would really appreciate anyone that has managed to get s good picture ona 5300 letting me know their settings.

Could it be that changing my cables may help? Most of my cables are pretty good, but there is one cheap scart being used - any chance that this could be the problem?

I really would appreciate someone's help here, cos I am quite upset at paying nearly 3 grand and getting a picture like thsi

Thanks all
    Siy

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    Using Sky I still find that the BBC 1 and ITV channels still produce problems which I put down to them and not the set

Also (and this is based on my experiance of the 5200) you really need to let the set run in - mine was on a couple of hours a day for a month before it "settled" in

The red is also too high and needs to be lowered - would get hold of avia or dve to make sure you get this spot on

7. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - Any idea how I turn the red down on a 5300 ? I cannot find a way to find the red setting - It must be different to the 5200 (I know that there are a few differences in the 2 menus)

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    im afraid not sorry

on the 5200 its in the picture settings on page 3 (3rd page down) and its the 3rd option

mine was lowered by about 15 notches if I remember correctly

also - I can not stress just how much a difference time makes with the set - the first few days I was almost in tears and wanting to send the set back - but the settling in and calibration has done wanders for it

I spent yesterday morning watching Top Gear on UK TV people and it looked gorgeous - even the cars when moving had no problems

I use a Thor cable for connecting Sky+ to the TV - used to use a QED cable but due to its weight and design it did not seem to fit properly - the Thor imporved things no end

I have DVD player connected via Component and that too looks gorgeous - even Only Fools DVDs look chrisp and clear - actually look better than they did on my old 32" crt

9. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wELL THAT'S ENCOURAGING - DID YOU RUN IT IN (IE LOWER CONTRAST ETC , AND IF SO, HOW LONG FOR - A HUNDRED HOURS i WAS TOLD???)
    Thanks Duncan - makes me feel a bit better that it may improve with time
    Anyone else with a 5300 have any settings suggestions?

10. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Siy

I have had the same set 5300 for about 2 months now and would say generally I am very happy.

The setting menu's are different for the 5300 from the 5200 as it uses the AV box for signal processing.

To change the settings you have to set favourite as the screen option then set up. i have reduced the brightness and contrast settings.

I generally find the anolouge signal and picture better than my freeview box, as the picture is excellent, with only a few instances of the skin tone problems.

11. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aah - thats good to know jpd2

I don't suppose I could ask you to check all of your settings for me, could I? I know that it's a huge hassle, my problem is it has taken an eternity to get my missus to agree to a plasma, and now that I have eventually got there - she says the pic was better on the 32 CRT ! She is right, so I have a limited amount of time to show her that the plasma is best

Thanks for all your help
    siy

12. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Siy

My settings are for favourite are

White ballance mid
    Contrast, Brightness, colour - just below mid point -10% approx
    Sharpness lower -25%
    Contrast mode - normal
    CTI - low
    LTi - Mid
    YNR - Mid
    CNR - low
    Black stretch - low

I think the most important issue is to have a good feed in, I considered changing back to telewest but read reports that quality was worse than freeview. As I said before my analoge picture is excellent from normal viewing distance. if I go up close I can find fault, but then again you could on a CRT.

hope this helps

JOhn

13. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - I will try these tonight. will try and spend a few hours to sort this, as everyone generally seem pretty happy with the picture.