1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 37PD5200 - DVD to DVI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Shepski, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Been trying out the various connections from panny DMR-E55 to Plasma and can see no real difference between rgb scart and component cable! Was wondering if using DVI port on plasma was an option. If so, what would I need and would this produce better results?

2. Moo242

Moo242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump - I'm interested to know this too

3. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump - me too but I suspect that we will need a conversion box to change the analogue rgb to digital dvi and that in itself probably would not make anything any better, plus at the end of the day you still have an a/d conversion happening so why bother - might as well let the Hitachi convert the rgb directly...

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    A scaler is the only thing that will do this, or maybe a DVDO iscan ultra, which doesn't scale, just deinterlaces. It has various video inputs, and a VGA and a DVI output. Makes a useful video hub in fact, and you'll likely find one on the classifieds for about £350 or so. They are round about £550 new. The newer HD is more money, but does more. Gives adjustable lip sync control, RGB and sync input not just component, which saves a converter on your sky output. About £1000 though.

5. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your source will need a DVI or HDMI output. You can't simply convert RGB analogue to digital and IMO, it would not give you anything quality wise. DVI is best left for purely digital transfer. The xxPD5200 is HDCP compliant so you can use it with DVD players and other HDCP sources.

-Ian

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Beg to differ there, a DVI output scaler or deinterlacer will give a noticeable improvement to anything lower down the scale than a Denon 2900, which shares the same deinterlacing chipset. The 2nd hand option is pretty no-loss, as you will be able to sell it on if it doesn't do anything for you (unlikely) or you want to upgrade. I and many others here route all our sources through such a device.

7. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was talking about converting RGB to DVI. I was not talking about scaling or deinterlacing which is different to a "conversion box to change the analogue rgb to digital dvi" and is especially true since the panel being talked about is an Alis panel which is inherintely interlaced and does not respond very well to progressive signals.

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    IMHO doesn't respond well to any signals I send it! Alis panels and progessive video is a tricky subject. As nobody really seems to knwo just how it works, there isn't an answer, but quite a few Hitachi owners report a picture improvement with progressive scan DVD players. Via DVI though, it should be expecting a progressive signal, and of course deinterlacing is not all that's happening inside the ultra. But I see the post time now, had you even seen my post when you replied.

9. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess our responses crossed in the ether. It was a reply to Angry, your was not there when I responded.