1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 37PD5200 - Connection Help!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Shepski, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya

Just setup my 37" hitachi but struggling to find the best way of connecting.

Currently I have panny dmr-e55 connected to tv using component.
    Sky+ connected to tv on rgb scart
    Sky+ vcr scart port connected to panny dvd (not arsed about best PQ for recording as I only record at lp anyway so PQ isnt perfect)

Trouble is, when playing dvd it keeps flicking over to AV4 (rgb scart)! One pain is the dvd settings, you cant have prog scan enabled when you have rgb scart enabled so if I were to daisy chain I would have to have scart set to s-video which isnt great. Am I missing some settings here or should I just stick to sky+ --> dvd --> rgb scart and sack off the component as I cant see any noticeable difference between rgb scart and component.

2. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I know with my box I don't get your problem. Mine is a 42PD3000 which has the AV3000E tuner. I have exactly your setup. Sky+ to plasma (using RGB scart) and I have my xbox (420p) connected to tuner via AV4 (component inputs). I do not get the switching.

However I do the following with my setup as I share an optical cable between my xbox and Sky+ and hence cannot have DD5.1 from one if the other is switched on.

Switch Sky+ off via the standby button. No signal is outputted that way and it will still record when in this mode. You can't be watching Sky+ when watching a DVD and hence there is no loss.

3. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, me is getting in a tizz and all confused. let me ask the question a different way....

I have:

Hitachi 37PD5200
    Panny DMR-E55 DVD Recorder
    SKY+

I also have:
    2 x Profigold Scart cables
    1 x Profigold Component cable

DVD has pass-thru RGB Scarts, Component Outs, SKY+ has 1 RGB Scart and 1 Comp Scart.

What will be the best way to connect up everything to give me the best picture from both DVD and SKY+. I am not worried about recording from sky to dvd as 1. I dont do it much and 2. its usually only stuff for kiddie and I always record at a lower quality to give me maximum space on disc.

If I need additional cables then let me know what they are as I have spent over 2k on a telly I dont mind incesting in some more cables to give me the best results.

4. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    the set up you have sounds right - ie dvdr to screen via component and sky to screen via rgb. if you are happy with composite recording on dvr then 2nd scart to dvdr scart is right as well.

Not sure why you say the screen keeps switching inputs to the scart input. maybe turn off sky box when playing dvd will help?

5. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not quite sure I understand your configuration but if the Panny recorder is like my Panny HS2 with scart outputs then hitting play on the recorder will actually switch the Hitachi to AV4 because there is a signal line on the scart output that will trigger the Hitachi to switch to that input.
    I think this function is switchable and can be disabled - check the Panny setup menu under 'scart' or AV settings
    Also my HS2 has a button called 'av link' on the remote that also triggers the Hitachi to select AV4 input (scart) when I press it.
    Hope this helps. I am almost certain it is something to do with the connections in the scart cable between the panny & the plasma - as a last resort I guess you could just use an s-video connection instead of the scart, at least to prove it is the problem...

6. Shepski

Shepski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats just it, the dvd isnt connected to the plasma via scart, only by component. it is connected to the sky vcr scart port for recording purposes and then the sky box is connected to the plasma using the rgb scart port.

i am very tempted just to stick it back to how it was when i had crt tv, daisy chain sky to dvd to tv using rgb scart and leave it at that as it worked and this component prog scan malarky just doesnt seem any better :s