• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Hitachi 37LD6600 and Sky - good performance?

lansalot

Hi

Considering one of these TV's, got a demo today and it looks pretty good. However, the dealer can't get a Sky dish on his building so I was unable to see it other than through the analog tuner (bleh!) and DVD (pretty good).

Was hoping to get some opinions on Sky performance through this set - any thoughts?

Was going to pair it up with the Toshiba SD350E as well, a good match?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

pixelated

The DVD player you mention is brill.

As no one has managed to post a response to this I'll just mention the Plasma equivalent of this LCD (6600 series) isn't very good. However the 7200 series Plasma and LCD are both really good.

Just something to consider :) LCD with offair signals is often an interesting subject, some love it, some hate it, but going with a "controversial" TV may yield potentially disappointing results.

I think generally most good LCDs warrant more than "pretty good" with DVD so maybe it's worth shopping around. If analogue looked that bad, Sky will be an improvement but ...

L

LouisCypher

I love the picture on my 37LD6600, however it makes a high pitched buzzing sound when I am using anything other than the "dynamic" picture setting. Strange how it doesnt make it on that setting really. Other than that it is great. Have an engineer looking at it. If youre going to buy it from a shop check the one you are buying out. If not then I would hazzard not to get the set because it's a bit of a heart ache having to get a new set 'fixed', that is if they can fix it at all. I read it is probably due to the poor manufacture psu they are using.

lansalot

Stuart Kirby said:
As no one has managed to post a response to this I'll just mention the Plasma equivalent of this LCD (6600 series) isn't very good. However the 7200 series Plasma and LCD are both really good.

I don't see a 37" 7200 panel on Hitachi's website - does this mean that perhaps the 6600 LCD isn't their "latest" panel and that in fact I wouldn't be buying something at the pinnacle of their LCD production?

Stuart Kirby said:
I think generally most good LCDs warrant more than "pretty good" with DVD so maybe it's worth shopping around. If analogue looked that bad, Sky will be an improvement but ...

My fault there I think - when I said "pretty good", I was really basing that on the limitations inherent within DVD. A big screen LCD when looked at close really brings out the faults within an encoded DVD such as poor bitrate in certain scenes resulting in some rather rough blockiness. Things you wouldn't notice on a 26" CRT :)

The player I was using didn't appear to be upscaling, nor had it progressive scan, and so I rated it merely a "pretty good". I would say that it certainly had potential to get better though.

Confused now though. I had all but decided, and this has set me back again a little...

Thanks for the advice so far..

Bearing in mind the TV (dealer wants £1600 for it, everywhere else, £1150), would anyone like to suggest an alternative, preferably in the 37" size range?

pixelated

lansalot said:
I don't see a 37" 7200 panel on Hitachi's website - does this mean that perhaps the 6600 LCD isn't their "latest" panel and that in fact I wouldn't be buying something at the pinnacle of their LCD production?

My fault there I think - when I said "pretty good", I was really basing that on the limitations inherent within DVD. A big screen LCD when looked at close really brings out the faults within an encoded DVD such as poor bitrate in certain scenes resulting in some rather rough blockiness. Things you wouldn't notice on a 26" CRT :)

The player I was using didn't appear to be upscaling, nor had it progressive scan, and so I rated it merely a "pretty good". I would say that it certainly had potential to get better though.

Confused now though. I had all but decided, and this has set me back again a little...

Thanks for the advice so far..

Bearing in mind the TV (dealer wants £1600 for it, everywhere else, £1150), would anyone like to suggest an alternative, preferably in the 37" size range?

The DVD player should be capable of some great results, especially for that kind of cash. :)

As far as I'm aware, the 6600 isn't the latest range... I always thought the 7x00 series are the latest sets. I could be wrong there, though.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom