1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32PD5300 & Panasonic 37PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by louis cypher, Jan 7, 2005.

1. louis cypher

louis cypher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've been reading this forum for a while now & am really impressed at how enthusiastic & helpful everyone is.

So please let me ask for a bit of your advice & opinion.

I have decided to buy a plasma for my parents (only a 21" crt now) & will choose between the 32PD5300 (£1995) or 37PE30 (£2099) from John Lewis, having seen both at various shops (though most had the 32PD5200).

They are a bit concerned that the 37" is too big for the living room but I think it will be fine at a distance of about 8/10 feet.

My main concern is that the picture on the Hitachi seemed sharper than the Panny. Is this correct in your opinion? Is this to with the Hitachi's better resolution? Does the resolution even matter that much, as some have suggested higher resolution is does not always mean better picture.

On the other hand, the Panny seemed to have more vivid colour & better contrast. The Hitachi seemed a little 'pale'.

With the stand & dvd recorder deal, I'm leaning towards the Panny though the build quality of the Hitachi seems better, less plasticky.

Viewing will be Freeview, DVD & VHS (no games, Sky or HD).

Sorry about this long post, but I want to spend my £2k on the right one.

Thanx a lot :thumbsup:

2. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go for the hitachi it will blow you away pq is alot better than the pannys (i will get cryed down for saying that as these forams are a bit panny biast) and it looks the dogs b :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

3. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Let your parents view both sets properly set up and let them make the decision as to which one THEY prefer. After all it will be they who will be watching the set on a regular basis. Yes these forums are Panasonic biased but the Hitachi's have a core following too. Hitachi use ALiS glass which people either seem to love or hate (a bit like Marmite :p ) me being one exception as I really quite like the picture that Sony can extract from ALiS. However, remember that the 1024x1024 quoted resolution for the Hitachi is not quite the full story as the screen is interlaced and not progressive like the Panny, so the Hitachi is more akin to a 1024x512 resolution. The other factor to bear in mind is that the smaller 32" screen should look sharper than the 37" from the same viewing distance. I'd agree with your general sum up of the differences in picture (out of the box) in the shops the Panny's seem much more colourful & vivid whilst the Hitachis/Sonys have sharpness remember though that both sets have probably been left on their factory settings.

Really though, let your folks view them properly set-up or failing that, at least side-by-side in the JL store that you have visited and let them decide.

S.

4. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 37" PW7 is wall-mounted at around 8-10 feet from the sofa and the size & picture quality are absolutely perfect for that distance.

I originally had a 42" which was a little too big (although I believe 10ft was within the recommended distance guidelines for it...), but I don't think you'll have any problem at all with a 37 from that distance.

5. louis cypher

louis cypher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey,

Thanks very much for your replies.

We are going to JL Welwyn Garden on Wednesday with a few favourite DVDs to check out these screens.

As for Marmite, Steve_P, my mum loves it but dad hates it.............Oh dear!! :rolleyes:

Will reply after purchase & setup with results & opinions.

:devil: