1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32PD5200

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gjm, Feb 27, 2005.

1. gjm

gjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone,

I am thinking of buying a Hitachi 32PD5200, and should be grateful if you could share your views (good, bad or indifferent) on this model.

Many thanks

2. ajc347

ajc347

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had one for a few weeks and am very happy with it and have experienced no problems so far.

PQ is good now I've set it up after using DVE disk and coupled it with a DVI enabled DVD player (cambridge audio dvd79) which gives such a clear picture on 1080i setting that even my wife (who is usually ambivalent about such things) has made comment.

Hitachi screens certainly have their supporters and detractors - I just bought what I could afford after shortlisting various options and seem to have struck lucky.

3. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've got one of these to and more than happy with it,pic quality is excellent as long as your source is good but i think you'll find that with any tv.

4. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Just bear in mind, as it stands it wont fully support Sky HDTV when it comes out next year. There is lots of info about this if you read the Hitachi thread and other.
    Hitachi are about to release a new range in the next few months with HDMI so who knows what effect that will have on the price in the coming months.

Better than any LCD in terms of PQ IMHO.

5. LG Chet

LG Chet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought this screen from Richer Sounds towards the end of last month and there isnt a day that goes by that im proud of it. Bare in mind that this is my 3rd Plasma, it has been the best purchase from all 3, the Sky image is superb and thats all I ever wanted.

6. gjm

gjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you everyone for your comments.

I'm sorry pwood but I don't understand why it won't fully support Sky HDTV when it does have a DVI connection which supports HDCP.

7. ajc347

ajc347

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it is because Sky will transmit a signal of 720p @ 50hz.

The Hitachi screen will only support 720p @ 60hz (although it does 1080i at both 50 and 60hz).

However, this is not to say that other providers (i.e. BBC, cable etc.) will necessarily transmit 720p @ 50hz only.

Anyway I'm not sure that I want to pay an increased monthly subscription and / or purchase the appropriate kit for HDTV. I'm sure its going to be prohibitively expensive when it is released. :(

I'm more than happy to wait until Telewest (or whatever cable provider runs the franchise in the future) supplies HDTV as standard or until the BBC starts transmission. I figure that by the time this happens a comparable screen which will be fully compliant will be able to be bought for a considerably cheaper ammount than now.

As for DVD / HD-DVD / Blu-Ray now that's a different story. I can upconvert now to 1080i and am very happy with the way in which the screen handles this currently via DVI connector.

If you really want Sky HDTV its time to get worried - if not then sit back and enjoy the picture quality of the screen (if you choose to purchase one :)) in the knoweldge that, whilst it may not be 100% HDTV compliant, is still going to meet your needs for the next few years at least.