Hitachi 32PD5200

Noonzio

Standard Member
Reaction score
New member but have been checking out this forum for a couple of months.

Have decided on a Hitachi 32" Plasma, the 32PD3000 but am wondering whether I should get the newer version, the 32PD5300 (with the AV box) or the 32PD5200 (built in tuner). Richer Sounds are doing the 3000 for 1729 and will do the 5200 for 2199 (but should price match Empire Direct).

Is the newer model worth the extra 470 quid? Any one have any views on the new 32" or have seen any reviews?

Cheers.

in richer sounds april may catalogue, they state the 32pd5200 at 1899, but dont have any until the end of april

dont pay more than you need to.

Nexnix said they would price match, but I like the cost of RS's warranty, so im going to wait

Cheers

Adeyb

Hi there

As far as I am aware both screens have identical performance, the only difference is the 5200 runs the tuner built in to the screen and therefore all conections must be done at the screen and the 5300 runs an external tuner/mediabox centre unit.

Regards

Joe Rubido

Cheers lads, I'm aware of the difference between the two, but am wondering about performance of 'old' 32PD3000 versus 'new' 32PD5200/5300? The 32PD3000 was an award winning plasma, so is tried and tested, whereas the 32PD5000 series is brand new and nobody seems to have one yet and so there is no reviews.

Best price I could find for the 32PD5200 was www.empiredirect.co.uk which was 2099 I think and Richer Sounds emailed me this morning to say they'd have the 32PD5200 for 2199 but would of course price match Empire Direct. I don't think they'd be doing the new model for only 170 pounds more than the old one.

Noonzio, you may want to check out Johnlewis.com as I have just purchased a 32pd3000 for £1995 with 5 yrs warranty.
http://www.johnlewis.com/stores/shelf.asp?str=131&shelfid=2440&m=14

update to above.... these are showing as out of stock, but it may be worth phoning to see if they can get any more!
Personally, I am happy with mine as I prefer the seperate tuner box for all my AV gear rather than trying to cram it all into the back of the plasma!:)

I have it in print here stating 32pd5200 - a richer sounds catalogue. £1899.

go into your local store and pick it up (april/may)

they cant back out!

Adeyb

My local store is in Belfast and I'm in Dublin, but I'll take your word for it adeyb! Cheers, must contact them tomorrow.

Any views out there on how good/bad the new 32PD5000 series is compared to the old 32PD3000 series? Anyone actually have one yet?

I recently bought a Hitachi 32PD3000 from Richer Sounds for £1729.95. Beware though as if that is a pricematch to their website, they have since put the website price back up to £1799.95.

When I first set the screen up and calibrated it, it blew me away. However, the weakness of this screen became really evident upon watching anything with a dark moody atmosphere. The screen just couldn't pull out any detail in the blacks. They appeared flat, almost as if the dark part of the image had been removed. The only way to get that detail was to crank the contrast and brightness settings up, which resulted in a very washed out image.

So, my advice would be to demo the screen with a dark, moody film first. Don't just let the Pixar movie RS have playing on it tell you thats what the screen is like all the time (because Pixar movies look jaw dropping on it).

Oh, and to add, Richer Sounds don't pricematch on plasma screens with other stores/websites...only their own website.

So does anyone have any opinions on the new 32PD5000 series?

Anyone own one yet?

Come on boys, anyone?

BRAND NEW TO THIS FORUM SO HI,

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT THE HITACHI 32PD5200 LAST WEEK FROM ELECTRICALDISCOUNT FOR £1979 INC VAT PLUS £20 DELIVERY AND I AM OVER THE MOON WITH IT.

I TOO WORKED ON THE ASSUMPTION THAT IF THE 32PD3000 GOT GOOD REVIEWS THEN THIS ONE MUST BE GOOD AND I AM NOT DISSAPOINTED.

THIS IS THE FLAGSHIP MODEL THAT HAS A STAND INTERGRATED THAT CAN LET THE SCREEN SWIVLE AROUND FOR PERFECT VIEWING ANGLE ALSO IT HAS DETATCHABLE SPEAKERS WHICH IS A PLUS AS I DON'T USE THEM.

I HAVE THE PD5200 WITH THE SONY DAVS 888 AND DVD'S ARE ABSOLUTELY OUTSTANDING.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Please tell me more. As you've probably noticed people seem divided on the 32PD3000 as some people absolutely worship it (as do the What Video type magazines) while others complain about its ability to show up detailed blacks - did you contemplate the 3000 and then see the 5200 and decide to go for the newer one? Did you read any reviews?

What I'm trying to figure out is whether the new 5000 series is as good as the old 3000 or is it even better? It certainly looks more stylish, whats the PQ like?

Any buzzing from the internal fan, if there is an internal fan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as you seem to be the first person on this forum to purchase one.

Cheers,

Greg

Picture quality is great on my dvd, i have svideo to scart with the gold plated cable ends but at the moment i can't give you a true indication of the picture quality of terrestrial channels as i need to get my aeriel sorted out.

My aeriel gets sorted out today so i will let you know.

As far as the buzzing noise well i cant hear anything and no i did'nt read the reviews i saw the model in comet and took the risk with it, i mean £300 extra for the flagship model it is worth it!

From the specs i have seen the only difference is:

contrast is 1000 instead of 900 cd/m2
12 watt speakers instead of 10w
luminance of 1000cd/m2 instead of 900 cd/m2
built in tuner
detachable speakers
swivel stand

To me it looks a slightly better screen but that might be because im biast

hope this helps

:D :D :D

No i did'nt get a free dvd player with it and i did'nt want one, i got the plasma for £500 cheaper than comet and i ordered it online so there was no haggling. (i already own 2 dvd players anyway)

The aeriel has been sorted now and im well happy with the picture quality.

The only down side of this plasma is that it only has 1 scart socket.

:p :p :p

Doesnt it have 2 component inputs though? One for my dvd one for my xbox me thinks

Yes it does have 2 component inputs, while were on this subject what is the best connection for my dvd to plasma i always thought it was svideo for quality sound and picture.

by the way the price for this has just dropped on empire direct to £1887.83 inc vat

that must be one hell of a fantastic price for such a new Plasma - I noticed this morning that Richer Sounds have it for 1899, which is only 100 quid more than what they want for the old model, the 32PD3000 (though this does come with the external AV box).

I wonder how much they'd be charging for the 32PD5300, must give them a call and find out.

Thanks for all the info guys and if any one does have anything else to add then bring it on!!

I thought s-video was the worst. I think it goes s-video, RGB Scart then Component is the best if your dvd has it. Also with progressive scan as your plasma supports it. To be honest i havent a clue what im talking about so i wouldnt listen to me.

By the way, does anyone know when the 32pd5300 comes out? (Assuming thats the one with the seperate tuner)

I've read up on it, best connection goes:

best: component

then: s-video

then: composite

basic: coxial

Originally posted by Deron
Did you get a free dvd player with it?

If not may be worth asking...

Sorry about that deron i've just seen the advertisement for the free portable dvd player worth £250 for certain plasma screens up until july 2004.

I will contact Hitachi on Monday and see what they say, thanks for letting me know though.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi headfullofcrisp

When you contact Hitachi, can you post your findings with any details from hitachi on the DVD model, as I have been unable to find the spec, also how you claim.

Cheers

John

HI AGAIN,

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF YOU CAN CONNECT A VCR TO THIS PLASMA BY CONNECTING IT SCART (VCR) TO S-VIDEO (PLASMA) AS I HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE TRYING TO CONNECT IT THAT WAY.

ALSO CAN YOU CONNECT A DVD RECORDER THAT SAME WAY IF YOU CAN'T WITH A VCR?

CHEERS IN ADVANCE

Hey headfullofcrisp, any more comments or views on the quality of the picture and the features of the screen? Maybe you could post again in a week or two with your initial impressions of the plasma once you've been using it a couple of weeks cos I know all of us thinking of buying one would really appreciate it.

HI AGAIN,

WITH REFERENCE TO THE FREE DVD PLAYER YOU RECEIVE WITH CERTAIN HITACHI PLASMA SCREENS, WELL IM AFRAID HITACHI DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom