1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32pd5200 via Iscan?? will it help with SKY Digital??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chrper, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having read the various threads on the ISCAN HD and HD+ i was wondering if someone scould help point me ( and my wallet) in the right direction please.

i have the flowing setup

Hitachi 32pd5200
    Sky Digital Input Via SCart RGB
    Cambridge Audio DVD79 input via DVI
    Sony Video Input via the Sky Box

Audio is via Azur 540R with maudaunt Short Speakers.

So Heres is the problem, DVD outputing 720P is great picture quality.

Screen spec says it supports the flowing
    1080i (HDTV), 720p (HDTV), 480p (EDTV), 480i (SDTV), 576i, 575p

Digital 3-Line
    Display Resolution 852 x 1024 pixels
    Pixel Pitch 0.84 mm
    Brightness 1000 cd/m
    Output Color 16.7 million colors

Sky on the other hand is Ok for films but poor for Footy etc, I am aware that some channels use lower bandwidth and thus the pic quality maybe poor but Can I do anything to Improve Sky ( maybe sky + soon).

Would an Iscan HD or similar provide a better picture quality and If so what would I need to buy??

I have a spare Component input on the panel but am happy to take your expert advice Obvioulsy price is a factor but having looked at the Iscan its just about in the price range if the improvements would warrant it ( if you all promise never to tell the wife!!).

Thanks in anticipation

CP

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Sky PQ can be much improved by using a good scaler, and even further by partnering the scaler with an SDI modified v1 Sky+ box. Don't have an Iscan here but if you are anywhere near the W Midlands happy to show you a Lumagen doing the same job.

3. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Piers

SO does the Lumagen do the same job as the Iscan?? how do they compare in price, ease of setup etc??

SO Anyway if I understand this correctly the sky signal is Analogue, which is both enhanced ( scaled?) and converted to digital by the Iscan ( or Lumagen?).

Just found the Modded SKy SDI boxes, now the plot thickens!! and also the price goes up!!!

Which would bring in Sky as a digital signal?? if I understand correctly, hence better quality?? ie no analogue /digital conversion??

SO if your budget was £1000 or under what would you recomend as the best way to get the best possible quality from Sky ( bear in mind that I am probably going to go to Sky + in the next 6 months.

All help greatly recieved

And thanks for taking the time

Chris

PS Im in manchester

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Chris,

Lumagen DVI is just over £800, and a basic set-up is relatively straightforward. The more advanced features of the Lumagen are more difficult to DIY. Both do a similar job. I don't know the Azur - has it got global audio delay? Scalers introduce lip sync errors and audio delay is a must - the HD+ includes an audio delay circuit, the Lumagen does not (and if the amp has the feature you don't need it twice!).

Both scalers will take the analogue video output from the Sky box (or the digital video output of an SDI modded Sky+ box) deinterlace the signal, scale it to the native resolution of your panel and feed it into the optimum input at the optimum resolution. Both also offer advanced picture control settings that can work wonders in achieving accurate calibrations (though some will not be of much use without the sort of test gear that I have).

I'm 90 minutes from Manchester airport and would strongly recommend you coming down here before parting with the sort of cash that you are talking about. Seeing the options, scaler / no scaler, SDI / not SDI, best cables / cheap cables, calibrated settings / out of the box settings, and then deciding which combination gives the best return for money and what future upgrades might achieve.

5. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK so the azur does not have a global delay function, however you can introduce a delay to the speakers to help with room acoustics etc.
    So introducing a standard 5ms or what ever is required delay to all speakers and then making any room based adjustments from that base would work. ( in theory).

So for my small brain it would then require all video inputs including the DVD to be input via the Scaler ( taking the lumagen as the scaler) to ensure that everything was in sync.

So I have been doing a bit more homework, the scalers all seem to take in pretty standard ( ie non Scart inputs) DVD player Fine DVI output (coax digital to the Amp) Sky, Scart out, would require a converter, JS scart to component??? also the same for the VCR ( both with L/R audio to the AMP).

So I am considering the project ( get Better SKy Pictures) in a couple of phases. To both enable me to learn a bit more and possibly take up your offer and see a bit more, and also to avoid bringing to the good lady's attention that I may be spending more money !!!!!!.

SO how does this sound for a plan

1. get a JS scart to Composite converter ( I notice that you sell them!!!!)
    and it is their recomendation for Hitachi screens.

Setup Sky with this and see what improvements are evident,
    If this works as well as people say then it maybe thats OK for now.

2. investigate a little more into the whole Scaler world, have a look at the Lumagen and hopefully the Iscan and decide if the additional cash is worth it.

Hopefully that way if i go for the Scaler, whatever make/ model the converter will still be a worthwile purchase.

does this make sense or do I seem like some mad man!!!

Thoughts/ advice and also any other options that I either havent read/heard about most welcome

Cheers

6. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The sort of audio delay that you are going to need with a scaler is more like 60+ ms and I very much doubt you will be able to achieve that with the speaker distance controls.

You are on the right lines with the converter. The one you want is the RGB to _component_ converter (and yes I do stock them but wasn't plugging that on a public forum!). If / when you get a scaler you can continue using it and feed component into the scaler.

The VCR is unlikely to output RGB (I used to have one that did and nobody believed me as it is so rare). It may well do S-video and a scart to S-video lead into the scaler would solve that.

The only thing that you have missed is ISF calibration - but I would have to say that ; - ))

7. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok ISF calibration, well I had to google that one!!!! but having read the following article on it I can see why you mention it. Probably a much over looked means of improving PQ.

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_report/production_a_z/isfcalibration.htm

ANyway. The Amp does not allow for 60ms delays so I have to look at other options, Maybe the Iscan is the right one but I have also seen mentioned this box as well
    http://www.syncblaster.com/BriteView_prog_scan_conv.html

do you know anything about this box of tricks?? it looks too good to be true at that price!!!

i will be ordering a Conveter this weekend, and will see what that does, then take things from there.
    Do I need to get cables to go with it as well?? i already have a V good quality Scart but no Composite cable. Also, would it be better to take audio from the converter or direct from the sky box??

Yes the VCR is component, its a sony and a few years old!!! I never watch it but the wife has favorite films that we only have on video ( and will not buy on DVD!!)

Thanks for your help so far

have a good weekend

Chris

8. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry The VCR is composite!!! And I dont have a component cable!!!

i am off to bed.

Its been a long week!!

9. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I should be going to bed also, but.......

Seems like I need to do a major revamp of my web-site if you need to Google for ISF calibration!

Ditto cables / converters etc - PM me for more help.

10. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Piers

You have already provided me with a great deal of help, I now at least have a starting point and a number of options to consider and work through.
    I will be in touch no doubt!!!

cheers and thanks again for you time and help

Chris