1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32PD5200 or 5300 Plasma TV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Martyn E, May 16, 2005.

1. Martyn E

Martyn E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please could someone give me basic advice for a complete novice. I would like to buy a 32" flat screen TV for space considerations but would like to choose the most appropriate. I have been recommended a Hitachi 32" Plasma and have seen the 5200 which looked good to me and seemed to recieve good reviews. I have now noticed a 5300 and wondered which might be best for me - price also a consideration. We recieve our signal via Sky and a DVD player. We don't have home cinema but may like to add this later.
    Apologies for ignorance of question but any help appreciated !! :lease:

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice looking telly; i bought one 5 months ago. I am satified with it but have a look at the slightly bigger Samsung PS37S4 (1024 by 1024 res) as it looks to have a better contrast ratio(3000to1) and is roughly the same width as Hitachi as speakers run underneath the screen. Looks really nice and has stand. Price is around 1400 quid

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    The 5300 is exactly the same screen but with a seperate tuner box whcih the 5200 doesn't have. The tuner box means having a single cable to the panel rather than one for each input.

That said, if you went for the 5200 you could probably daisy chain the DVD player through the Sky box and just have a single scart connection to the 5200. An added benefit of the 5200 is the DVI port is free for use with a DVD player whereas, on the 5300, the tuner box uses the DVI port.

HTH

John

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    If your use is as a TV, then I would suggest the 5300. It has 3 scart connectors as well as component (if your DVD has it). I presume this box handles scart better that the single scart on the 5200 which I found to be terrible. For me the 5200 offers greater flexibility though and because I am happy to tweak, that is what I chose.

5. Martyn E

Martyn E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help so far

Martyn