1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32PD5200 DVI Input

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by PannyAdams, Dec 5, 2004.

1. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok....like alot of posters on here I'm researching which panel to buy. My problem is that the largest size screen that will fit where I want to put it is 37" and the idea size is 32". I don't like the pitcures that LCDs give so my choice is between the Hitachi 32PD5200 and the Panny PW7.

I've been told that I should hold out for HDMI, as it is a big improvement over an analogue signal and I know Panny are just about to release a HDMI board. I also prefer the picture on the PW7 but the 32PD5200 can be tweaked to come close. So I should buy the PW7 right? Well 1600 + 180 for a stand + 180 for the HDMI card means it will weigh in at nearly 2k! Comet now has the 32PD5200 at £1428 and I get another 10% making it £1285!

I have also been told that you can drive the Hitachi via DVI (with a HDMI to cable) meaning the quality is the same as HDMI. Has anyone done this?

Also am I right in thinking that the 32PD5200 has a DVI connector but the 32PD5300 does not?

What other conections does the 32PD5200 have? Does it have a VGA connector to connect my PC to it?

Any other views on the Hitachi? Am I making a mistake not buying the PW7?

Thanks

BJ

2. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    hi the 5300 does not have a dvi input, it does have a vga pc input. the 5200 only has 1 scart but does have dvi you can also get HDMI to DVI leads. i do like the Hitachi alot i have a 42pd5200 on order at the moment to replace my faulty LG screen the only other set i considered was the pioneer but it does not come in the size you require hope this helps

3. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the info.....why didn't you consider the Panasonic at all - everyone raves about them here?

I can't believe noone on this forum has a Hitachi hooked up via the DVI? Anyone?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It may be because Hitachis suffer the same trouble as Pansonic, and have limited support for 50Hz video on digital inputs. The HDMI card for panasonic is looking iffy, don't hold your breath. They are terriffic on analogue, I doubt that you will see any difference via digital, the issue is future proofing. It's a nightmare, digital video is still bleeding edge stuff it seems.

5. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Which has terrific analogue.....the Hitachi.....the Panny.....both?

Also, can I get round the problem by getting a DVD player that outputs 60Hz? There must be a few configurable players out there?

6. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes, probably... but... don't bother. I've got the DVD-2910, which can do this, but you suffer too many motion problems from doing so. You really wouldn't choose to do it if you could avoid it.

7. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beejay,

1- yup, don't go for LCD, they're not there yet PQ-wise

2- the PD5200 does have a free-to-use DVI input, the PD5300 has a tuner box which essentially eats up the screen's DVI input without providing one in replacement - iow: no DVI on the PD5300!

3- the PD5200 DVI input is HDCP compliant, therefore YES you may get video from say a DVD player with HDMI output (using an HDMI -> DVI cable)

4- the Hitachi's support all HD formats BUT 720p50 via DVI (and any other i/p actually). Problem is, HDTV in the UK will probably be 720p50 for the most part. Now what exactly will the HDTV STB's be able to output and via what type of connections is still pretty much up in the air (despite BSkyB's announcement, which I tend to take with a grain of salt...).

Now that I think of it, on the Hitachi's there is NO way to get a 1280x720p@50Hz signal understood and displayed, be it via DVI, VGA or even Component input...

However, the PWD7s do take 720p50, through VGA or YUV input at least - not via DVI, and apparently not via HDMI either ( :mad: ), although some here still hope it does (I do not). I.e. only via analogue inputs.

Hmmm... I'm also contemplating the purchase of a 37PD5200 (kinda cheapo here, around 2790€, i.e. 1930£ circa, 2 yrs labour+parts in-home warranty). However this 720p thing is now putting me off a bit, no to mention the better PQ on Pana's...

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It might work on a hitachi, the 60Hz thing. I'd love to see it try, anyway. They are internally set to 60Hz in any case. On Panasonic it will result in jerking pans, and possible tearing in that scrolling text bar that Sky news put on, very nasty.

9. PannyAdams

PannyAdams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Arrrghhhh!

Looks like the Hitachi is the ideal set except the 720p50 problem. Nothing is ever easy.

I might postpone my decesion until after the Panny HDMI card comes out, but looking at the Panny HDMI thread it doesn't look promising.

Also, what are the chances of Hitachi's new Panels due in February displaying 720p50?

This all might mean putting the purchase off until after christmas where I expect another price drop will be on the cards.

BJ