1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hitachi 32pd3000e sort of bargain

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wilber, May 13, 2003.

1. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Just been ringing around a few dealers re the above & have just spoken to Audiovision in Sheffield (01142 485537, the gut I spoke to was Philip). They're selling for £2500 + about £60 delivery / install across the UK & they're giving a two year warranty. They have a lot of them in stock.

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Paid £3000 for mine at Power House, so it sort of hurts to see these sorts of prices.:(
    However, I'm buying with a buy now pay in 12 months at 0% which you can't do as easily on line.
    Hopefully I will have saved up enough in 11 months time.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    just found out that argos are doing it for £2500 as well

4. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52

That's fantastic news! Surely now John Lewis will pricematch that without quibble and give 5 years warranty? (they current sell for £3000 with 5 years warranty).

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Plus 24 Months Interest Free Credit :).

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Stop it guys, your breaking my heart!:( :suicide:

7. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Spoke to John Lewis tonight. They don't do a interest free credit deal. :thumbsdow

Raven

8. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Stellavision - it's painful when the product you bought costs up to £1000 less than you paid for it 12 months after you bought it!

However - I do enjoy being the "pioneer" among my friends and colleagues. First with DVD player, first with widescreen, first with Plasma - they can't catch me! Just when my mate gets his first 28" widescreen and is feeling well chuffed, I get my plasma! Tee-hee!:D

I suppose what I'm saying is I accept paying a slightly higher price to have something early. I'm not sensible enough to wait a year for a price drop. Once I decided I wanted a plasma there was no stopping me!

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    raven, no they don't do interest free, I think gringottsdirect
    was talking about argos but jl give you a five year warranty - just buy the thing on a credit card & then take up one of the many offers to have a six months balance transfer at 0% (and repeat after 6 months if you want 12 months interest free)

10. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Exactly what I was thinking of doing :D There's also a few credit cards offering 0% for purchases for 6 months.

Raven: Did John Lewis say anything regarding the Argos price?

11. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I didn't ask them direct about the Argos price. The doorbell rang part way through the conversation. What the guy said is that they will match any price offered by a shop that can be entered by any member of the general public. So I guess that includes Argos. Pretty good when you consider the Norwich quoted 2863 for the screen.

From my research Argos is only 90 pounds more than the cheapest internet price.

Raven

12. johnski

johnski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,
    Check out the price on the digitaldirectuk.com website they've got it at £2349

John

13. mrv

mrv
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  14. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Yes, thanks wilber :)

15. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    For those without the bottle to ask JL to price match.

John Lewis price is now £2499

16. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I popped into JL in Kingston (upon-Thames, not Jamaica) over the weekend and took a long look at the Hitachi 32" (as Wilber says, they have it for £2499. With Barclaycard willing to price match against internet prices, and the 5 year warranty, it looks like a no-brainer to me).

It was side-by-side with a Panny 42" (with tuner box), and compared favourably (all being fed with a shared RF feed), although I don't think either was particularly well set up.

One key thing (and it stopped me from buying there and then) that I'm hoping existing owners can clear up for me.

Watching the Hitachi closely, it seemed to have trouble display reds. Viewing something on BBC2, with a presenter sitting in a bright red plastic chair, there was heavy vertical banding in the reds. All the other colours looked just fine.

This effect persisted on all channels, whenever a "pure" red was being displayed. It's hard to describe, but was very noticable. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this, or if it is just a set-up problem ? And if it is set-up, what do you do to correct it ?

Oh, and for any lawyers out there - does ordering over the phone from JL constitute "distance selling", i.e. can I send it back during the 7-day cooling off period, since I purchased over the phone rather than in-store (just want to cover myself incase the display sucks !). I think yes, but then I would say that :p

Thanks in advance :smashin:

Carl.

17. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Never noticed any problem with colour on mine.
    However, there is quite a lot of tweaking required to get it right.
    I set mine up using the THX Optimizer with the blue filtered specs and I find the picture absolutley fantastic.
    It is connected to my NTL box via a £30 Ixos Scart and to my DVD player via £70 Ixos component video cable.

18. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    cwick - you don't need to worry about distance selling with jl - they give you a 28 day no quibble money back guarantee - as you said no brainer

19. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Cool. Thanks guys.

So the problems I saw are probably set-up related, based on Stellavisions experience, and even if they aren't I can send it back under the 28-day guarantee.

How can I resist ? :clap:

20. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    please can somebody clarify the barclaycard price match fo me??

jason:confused:

21. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Jason,

It's explained here

See also briandzo's comments in the "
    5yr Plasma warranty £77..." thread just down the page. Seems pretty straightforward (and a pretty good deal).

Cheers, Carl.

22. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Wilber,

I just ordered the Hitachi over the phone from JL in Kingston. They denied the 28 day money-back policy.

To be fair, it's only mentioned on their website, so probably only applies to purchases made through it. And they don't sell plasmas over the web.

But ... I ordered over the phone. For my money, that falls under the distance selling regs, so I've bought on that basis, and sincerley hope that I'm happy with the panel and don't have to fight for a refund. I think my expectations are set at the right level - I'm not expecting the best panel in the world for £2499, I just don't want the vertical banding I saw in-store.

So fingers crossed, it'll be here on Tuesday.

Cheers, Carl.

23. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Interesting, I should have a look at this thread then - craig works for JL & states that to be the case + I bought an Arcam CD72T from them in Feb that I took back after a week 'cos I didn't like the way it looked - "No problem sir, any time sir etc etc".

With all purchases (except cars, don't know why), you have a "reasonable amount of time" (it seems accepted that this is seven days) under the sale of goods act to reject an item that is "not fit for purpose" - so if the picture looks crap (that would qualify I think) get on the phone and tell them that you don't want it and ask for your money back. John Lweis are so proud of their reputation that you should have no problems.

24. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks, that's useful info.

I'm not expecting a problem really - I'm sure it was just set-up badly, and I really don't want to have to send it back. Just covering all the angles.

Girly I spoke to said "what, so you want to try it out and send it back if you don't like it ?" ... probably thought I was trying it on. Really not the case, just don't want to spend £2.5K and be stuck with a lemon.

Expect a verdict early next week .....

Cheers, Carl.

25. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    wilbur/cwick

My day job is managing a CAB. Under the distance selling regs you have right to reject the goods for any reason within 7 days of receiving the goods like a plasma(can be longer in some circumstances) Telephone orders do count so long as it was not a payphone (no I don't know why).

You can be liable for the costs of returning the goods if they are not faulty.

Under the revised Sale of Goods Act introduced at the end of March you can reject goods (including cars but this is very difficult as the new law has not been tested in court yet) if they are not of satisfactory quality or as described.

Complex area many "urban myths" in circulation for the facts check www.adviceguide.org.uk for information or talk to your local CAB or Trading Standards department.

26. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Be careful of the Barclaycard Price Promise. The conditions are that not only has it got to be exactly the same item but it also has to include the same warranty. Hence you would have to find a retailer that would match JL's five year offering.

Oh and for internet prices, Barclaycard consider delivery as part of the price.

HTH

Raven

27. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Chrise,

Thanks for the info, it's reassuring. Who'd want to be a retailer ? Great for the consumer though.

Raven,

Didn't see anything about warranties on the B'Card site, but I'll give it a go anyway and see what happens - worst case they say no. Not a biggie - I think paying £165 over the odds (based on best 'net price inc. delivery) is well worth it for the 5yr warranty.

I'll be sure to let y'all know how it goes.

Cheers, Carl.

28. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    cwick crampton & moore in sheffied & tvandvideodirect in bolton are retail outlets & are both selling for £2300 + delivery. JL will price match against these

29. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think I have seen the banding that you mention, it’s like a chequered flag effect on the reds, is this correct?
    I seen it on a plasma panel in Curry's but I can't remember what make the panel was (looked at that many that day)

I also had this problem on a Toshiba widescreen TV that I briefly owned (can't remember the model # but it was 50 Hz & had DPL) & this also displayed the chequered flag effect on the reds. I never did find out what caused it, but no amount of tweaking of the contrast, colour etc would cure it, hence the TV went back.

I hope your plasma is ok when you get it, let us know either way.

Regards, Tb :cool:

30. raven219

raven219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Carl

I rang Barclaycard and asked then about the price promise. During his spiel the guy talked about warranities.

Let us know how you get on.

Raven