1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32PD3000 initial impressions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zAndy1, Jan 31, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,697
    Very good basically! Looks the business (don't all plasmas though!). Fantastic picture off my Philips 962SA, seems to be better with the interlaced component signal perhaps due to the nature of the ALIS panel. What has suprised me is the picture off Sky Digital which on the BBC widescreen channels is amazing. I was expecting to have to compromise on this but I have been amazed at the quality. I have my Sky+ connected via RGB and the contrast on the Sky Plus box set to low (does seem to improve things) and it looks great. Overall very happy with my purchase and very happy with the price (£2210 + VAT) and service received from Nexnix, get my recommendation certainly. For £2500 including stand and tuner box I think it's a bargain, ok it's not the biggest display available but it's just the right size for my living room (I was actually suprised how big it looked to be honest, must be the included speakers). Oh and the sound this thing produces is amazing too.

Any questions anyone has fire away...
    Andy.

2. att

att

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congratulations on your new Hitachi, Andy! I am very interested in the 42" version and would like to know about any possible fan noise. Is there a fan in the tuner box, as speculated in some earlier threads? If so, how audible is it?

Antti

3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Antti,

I'd be very surprised to find fans in a tuner box. They are more likely to be fitted to the panel as these are the things that tend to get quite hot. I've heard that the fans on the Hitachi 42PMA400E are fairly noisy, but I've not heard about the 42PD3000 though.

Steve

4. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm hoping to get to dem the Hitachi an others tomorrow at 7 Oakes (in 7 Oakes). I'll put my ear to 'em all and let you know later

Rgds

Nick

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,697
    Regarding noise, the tuner box makes no noise at all , the display is making a slight buzzing noise that seems to be worse when there's a lot of white on the screen, it's not particularly distracting but it's there. The picture quality on DVD is really quite exceptional though and besides when watching a film I have the volume up such that any noise from the screen is drowned out anyway!

Andy.

6. att

att

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,
    the reason for the fan in the tuner box might be the Hitachi chip that takes care of video processing, at least that was speculated earlier. If it is a powerful processor, it might need some additional cooling, like in computers. But happy to hear from Andy that the box is silent. Thanks.

Antti

7. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I put my ear to them all and couldn't hear anything different on the Hitachi than all the others. In another thread, the guys say the one at Nexnix was really loud though. I wonder if it varies between individual units ? I have seen threads about Panny's and Pio's that buzzed, and that certainly isn't affecting all units.
    Or, do all Hitachi's make a loud noise ?

8. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +586
    ncpl what did you think of the Hitachi at 7oaks?

I was there with my wife on Saturday and to be honest neither of us were very impressed. The display was set up showing a Freeview channel and I thought that the picture quality was rather poor. Certainly the plasmas around it on the same channel had a much clearer picture. I was really disappointed as I had previously seen the display demo'd with a DVD and was very impressed.

Maybe Sky Digital would look better. zAny1 seems very happy with his Sky Digital performance. Anyone know if this is just a Freeview issue?

My wife was impressed with the 30" Sharp LCD. The picture definitely seemed very detailed but I could not live with the stange metallic hue to all the colours.

9. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Gary,
    I know what you mean about the TV stuff. I was watching gary Rhodes on it, also with my wife. It was HDD recorded though, not live broadcast. I think that the compression used on the Tivo box (or whatever it was just under the Hitachi) was not doing any of the screens any favours. I don't know what quality they saved the material as. I was checking both the 32" (far left) and the 42" (far right) and comparing them to the Panny and Pio directly above.

Colours and grainy-ness on the Pio really dissappointed. The Panny was the older 4 (of which the shop guys told me the story vs the 5 for the umpteenth time......and either way, there's no way I'm buying a new panel that is 2 generations ago)

IMO, the colours on the 400E seemed very lifelike. They were not over-coloured as some displays seem to be. I'm not sure I want that high colour level. I know it can all be adjusted etc, therefore, my opinions are based on the settings as seen there.

On DVD is looked extremely good. The darks etc were definitely better than the 433. Colours nice. Definition excellent...better than the older Fuji's...albeit, to be honest even the LG looked Ok playing Monsters Inc.

I didn't really look at the 30" as it's too small for the room. As posted yesterday, the 433MXE has slipped down the list unless I see a demo that rights the wrongs.

Will hopefully get to Nex this week or next. If they have the Fuji by then, that will be good. If not, I'll try 7 Oakes in Guildford.

Cheers

Nick

10. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered my Hitachi 32PD3000 today. I am a novice in this market but would like to know whether i need to use the tuner box coming with the Hitachi or can i keep on using my SOny SKy box, or can i replace the Sony skybox with the Hitachi tuner?
    Also i have the new Pioneer 454 DVD player, no progressive scan...does this really matter?
    Dutchie

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,697
    Yes you have to use the tuner box as the display has no video inputs on it , well apart from the one from the tuner box of course! You will need to keep the Sony Sky box to receive sky digital, the Hitachi tuner box is just a means of connecting your devices to the screen basically. The 32PD3000 and 42PD3000 are best fed an interlaced signal as it then does it's ALIS tricks to double the lines effectively, I've connected my DVD player by interlaced component and progressive component and the interlaced way is definitely better.

Cheers
    Andy

12. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,697
    Well I've decided to swap my Hitachi for a Panny 42 5 Series. The 32" is just too small and it's also quite noisy with a buzzing that varies according to the amount of white on screen. I'm also not overly impressed by the black level and there seems to be no detail in the blacks (what a difference a few days use makes eh!).

Once again nexnix have proved to be superb, a lot of companies wouldn't have considered replacing my original purchase but nexnix have agreed to swap it for a 42" Panasonic which is being delivered on Saturday. I can't recommend that company highly enough and will definitely buy from them again.

Looking forward to Saturday now, back to a 42" Panasonic plasma (had a 3 series a couple of years ago and it was fantastic).

Cheers,
    Andy.

13. att

att

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bad news, I mean about the Hitachi buzzing and poor black levels. It seems that there are no 'perfect' plasmas around. Of course nothing is ever 100% perfect, but without major flaws, I mean. I had high hopes for the 42PD3000, but based on Andy's experience, it has its flaws as well - and I am especially allergic to all kinds of extra noises.
    Let's summarize. The Hitachi 42PMA400E has good price, but noisy fans. Pioneer 433MXE seems to be OK otherwise, but connectivity is far worse than in 42PD3000, which means that extra hardware has to be bought. Also, as there is no tuner, I would lose teletext (my digi-TV-box & VCR don't have teletext). Panasonic models are also known (at least sometimes) to buzz and flicker. The connectivity is also an issue and it is a Class A plasma. Also, the resolution is worse (the HD version is much more expensive).
    Of course I should test everything myself to see how big the 'flaws' actually are but here in Finland, where plasma business is close to 0, it is practically impossible so I would have to select the best one (or least worse) based on information I hear/read. Not good. Maybe I should get a projector instead, they are also noisy, but I could get one much cheaper. Well, Andy, I hope that the Panny is a good one.

Antti

14. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am suprised that someone can change his mind and opinion within 5 days from very positive too very negative!
    Ok i will cancel my order for the 32PD3000 Hitachie...mmmmm on second thought no i will stick with it, i have heard more positive than really negative comments on this plasma screen
    Dutchie

15. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,697
    I don't think it's too shocking that I've changed my mind, I'm not saying the Hitachi is bad but it makes a noise that I find irritating and the black levels aren't as good as the Panasonic (and that is very important as far as I'm concerned). Also at the end of the day 32" just doesn't have the necessary impact, coming from a 42" Panny and a Panny AE100 projector before this I just can't live with 32" anymore!
    I hope the Panny is a good one too but from past experience I think I'll be more than happy with it..

Cheers,
    Andy.

16. vanwel

vanwel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A little off-topic, but I have a question about the screensize. I want to buy a plasma screen between now and six months and have the 32PD3000 on my shortlist.
    I wil be sitting 2.7m (9 ft I think) away from the screen. I assume 32" will be the size to go for? 42" will probably be to big, right?

17. Oenone

Oenone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about the Panny 37"

I'm considering this one myself. I'd prbly be sitting 6-8ft away.

18. Dutchie

Dutchie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vanwel,
    I think you are right 42" is too big. I have ordered the 32PD3000.
    Our livingroom situation is as follows:

Distance from Tele (Plasma) to my comfi chair: 1.75 meters
    Distance from Tele (Plasma) to our 2 seater: 2.75 meters

So not that much different from yur livingroom

Yes i would love a 42" but i dont want it to take over my livingroom! I opted for the 32PD3000. I have a friend in the Netherlands who is very enthousiastic about it and it also had great test results in some European magazines. Above all i also like the design.

Dutchie

19. Stiesto

Stiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I got my 32PD3000 the other day and the picture is fantastic on it.

However, its cleary not really up to blacks as they appear very flat looking. The screen seems to struggle at pulling out detail in the dark areas of an image resulting in a very "posterised" look. As a result, I'm considering replacing it with something else. Oh, and it certainly does buzz.

Shame really as apart from that, its a brilliant plasma.

20. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Have you turned the "black stretch" off.

I made up a DVD test "card" to test the greyscale response. With the black stretch "on" many shades of grey disapeared. With it off, only the very blackest parts were merged, but the black level perception does depend upon the ambient light level.

I am now happy with the black level response, to a point where I have really forgotten about it.

21. Stiesto

Stiesto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've turned off black stretch and calibrated it and still, I'm not satisfied with the black detail at all. The problem is even more evident on things like games consoles and I really can't accept it when considering the amount of money involved.

Turning up the brightness/contast to get acceptable detail in the blacks results in a extremely washed out picture. I really am gutted about it though as other than that, I love the set.