1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32pd3000 + Denon 2200 = yum

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wilber, Dec 7, 2003.

1. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Gotta say that the Denon is a stonking DVD player - absolutely murders my old Pioneer 656. Details & colours are great, motion blur reduced Lip sync issue lessened and it's a universal player so my SACDs still play!

In progressive mode (Pal & NTSC) it is better than in interlaced. Highly recomended & apparently available online for £500 (I paid £530 for mine from my local 7oaks - Multiregion)

2. gammmmo

gammmmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Whilst I'm pleased that you are pleased about your new setup, I don't understand how there can be any difference between an interlaced and progressive signal given the ALIS nature of the 32PD3000 panel. There has been loads of discussion on this very topic and if there really IS a difference that fly in the face of what alot of people have said. I'm not being picky but I discounted the (excellent in most ways) 42PD3000 for this very reason.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well call me thick/blind if you like :) but there is a difference. PS mode is definitely better with motion - a good example is in Monsters Inc during the exercise scene, another in FOTR at Balin's Tomb where the path of an arrow is traced. I'm not claiming that it's better because it PS, merely that the image is better. I'm also not advocating people rush out and buy a PS player, I'm merely telling people that the 2200 produces bloody fantastic images - I frankly couldn't give a damn how it does it!

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    thought this through a bit more while washing up - I think what is going on is two questions:

Given that I have a given screen which mode should I use my dvd player to get the best result? (since the two images produced by the player are inherently different the screen must handle one better than the other even if the difference is marginal)

If I want my Prog Scan DVD player to look best, which Plasma screen should I buy? (given that the image produced by the player is constant the screens must handle it differently)

My choice to use PS mode on the Denon is the answer to Q1, your rejection of Alis technology the answer to Q2

5. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217

wilber,

I also can see a difference.

There is one way you can see a real difference,turn the sharpness right down then turn the PS on/off.

DVD

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I run my Tosh 520 into my 32PD3000 in interlaced at present, purely because of the things people were saying about ALIS being better with an interlaced signal.
    I have never really tried progressive properly from my dvd player. DO you think I will get better results using PS from this combination?

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    stellavision,

Best advice I can give is to try it and see if you can tell the difference.

I've tried feeding my 42PD3000 with a PAL progressive signal and it was slightly better than non progressive but it did stretch the picture vertically meaning that, particularly on menus, some of the information was lost.

Noting what wilber has said, I might go back and try again using the Monsters Inc scene as a guide.

HTH

John

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Two more days of messing have convinced me that with my screen and my dvd player, the progressive signal gives better results than the interlaced one. If you have a PS platyer then I suggest that you let it have a go with your screen - you have absolutely nothing to lose and maybe a gain in picture quality (albeit a small one most of the time). My main conclussion is that the 2200 is a stonking player