Hitachi 32p5200, Hitachi say Sky HDTV ready, but is it as

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by clarkem1, Mar 20, 2005.

1. clarkem1

clarkem1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argos have got a good deal on this tv, £1,350, looks nice and seen some good reviews, but understand there are some issues with maybe not being fully Sky HD ready, due to 720/60 - 720/50, or even fully compatible on 1080?.

If any thought please let me know, or a site where I can find details.

Thanks in anticipation

2. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, if you look in the Hitachi thread this is mentioned in more detail. Bottom line is that alot of well qualified retailers are saying it won't be, however SKY have yet to come out with something definitive, and it could well support the Hitachi's, as their own brand make has the same specs.
    If you definitely want to use your screen for SKY Hi-Def then possibly this is not the make for you, however until we hear from the horses mouth it's all up for debate.
    I am (like alot) hoping we will hear good news. I would be very surprised if SKY were to minimise their market by blocking out a high percentage of potential users, by not making their systems compatible. I think they will make it 1080 compatible (but that is my hope/opinion)

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sky have said the actual broadcasts will be 720p. It's likely the box will be 1080i output as well, which for many people will be a dubious advantage as it introduces a scaling/conversion in what will be a 'built down to a price' box. Others are not quite so anal about PQ, it will still be better than what we have now. The other issue for Hitachi owners is that the screen does no scaling of a 1080i image vertically. It displays 1024 lines of it and junks the remainder. It then crops and scales horizontally to keep aspect ratio and fit the screen. This 5% or so overscan is actually fairly normal on CRT TVs, just not at all typical of plasmas, where we'd usully aim at 1-2% overscan just to get rid of edge effects, like that black and white check thing you see with MTV.
    The whole thing is a hideous minefield, the only guaranteed HD ready plasmas are the Pioneer consumer models. They overscan hideously on analogue inputs, and suffer picture noise, for me, to an unacceptable degree.