1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32LXD7200

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Simon44, May 31, 2005.

1. Simon44

Simon44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Just taken delivery of the above. I have also bought a new Sony VTXD800 Digibox along with a QED P2110 Scart. Would there be anybody that could help me get the best set up as I am by no means and expert.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

2. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    First, make sure your digibox is set to output RGB, and make sure you connect the scart to AV2 or AV3 on the Hitachi. AV1 does not support RGB. Also, make sure your digibox is set to 16:9 Widescreen.

As for the Hitachi's settings, set picture mode to natural, set sharpness to -15, set the backlight as low as you can without the screen becoming too dark (depends on ambient light). I keep contrast at about +10, brightness at around -5, colour -5... All depends on personal taste. Contrast mode I set to normal. Make sure Black Enhancement is off.

I generally keep the noise reduction settings to low or off. It depends on the quality of the signal coming from your digibox. Experimentation is the best solution. If you're anything like me, you'll spend the first week changing the settings every 10 minutes until you find ones you're completely happy with!

3. Simon44

Simon44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt P

You are a star mate. Thank you for this!!

4. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    sorry for hijacking this thread.
    Matt_p i have question for you. I am expecting delivery of the above tv anytime, but was wondering how you would rate sky digital pictures.
    Atr they good ? Is this TV good enough to replace a CRT tv ?
    You opinion will be greatly appreciated.

5. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    sorry for hijacking this thread.
    Matt_p i have question for you. I am expecting delivery of the above tv anytime, but was wondering how you would rate sky digital pictures.
    Are they good ? Is this TV good enough to replace a CRT tv ?
    You opinion will be greatly appreciated.

6. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I've got NTL cable as opposed to Sky, but I am perfectly happy with the performance. NTL tends to have a lower quality picture than Sky, so I would think that you should get good results.

When you say "is it good enough to replace a CRT?", it depends what your expectations are. If you are expecting it to give a Sky picture that is better in every way to a half decent CRT, then you will probably be disappointed. LCD performs best with HD sources and DVD.

I bought my LCD as it suited my TV usage: mainly DVDs, perhaps a couple of hours of NTL per day, XBOX (and XBOX 360/PS3) gaming... For this, yes it is far better than my previous CRT (2 year old, mid-range 28" Toshiba widescreen). DVDs are great, NTL is more than satisfactory, gaming excellent (and will get even better with the new consoles).

If you only ever watch Sky, and don't care about high definition, then you should probably stick with a CRT. It depends entirely on how you use your TV really.

7. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for your reply. matt
    basically i want the lcd mainly for watching dvd/sky on sort 50/50 basis.
    I need to be futureproof (HD) and my dvd player has a hdmi socket,so explain my choice of the hitachi.
    I don't expect the LCD to perform anywhere close to a CRT tv, but at least i expect a sort decent picture. I had the philips 32pf9986 which was good with sky,but sold it due to poor connectivity (just one DVI).

I went to John lewis store in watford on sunday and they have a 32ld7200 on display, i must admit the picture was OK (football), but then again i have learnt from this forums that the picture out of the box for this tv is not great, so i figure out after some tweaking should get better results

Thanks again for your input!!

8. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    When I got mine, the default settings were god-awful. I don't know why the manufacturers do it... But within 5 mins I had some good settings that improved the picture no end.

9. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    sounds promising. any chance of sending me your optimal picture settings ?

10. jmcardle

jmcardle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Or, better still, post them.

I'm still using the settings out of the box and no complaints (slightly fuzzt edges on sport though - perfectly bearable though).

Just FYI - watched LotR Two Towers last night on Sky - awesone and faultless picture via RGB (AV2)

11. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Thanks Matt! I got mine on Saturday, and spent the weekend wondering why Telewest was only connecting via composite on AV1!

kumamoto, I'd agree with matt & jmcardle's comments. My Telewest picture can be great from Sky Movies, acceptable from most others, and a little blurry on Sky Sports. Got an HDMI DVD player coming, expecting a fantastic picture from that.

12. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I'm not at my flat, and won't be for the next few days, but these are my settings as best as I can remember:

Picture mode natural
    Contrast +10
    Brightness -5
    Colour -3
    Sharpness -15
    Back light -5
    Contrast mode normal
    Black enhancement off
    Colout temp normal

I generally have all the noise reduction and sharpness control set to off.

They're the main settings I can remember. I would steer clear of Auto and Dynamic contrast modes; with Auto you can see it stepping the contrast up and down, and Dynamic seems to be a bit too garish, and highlights any artifacts in your picture.

Sharpness at -15 is pretty much essential. Anything above that introduces plenty of edge enhancement, and again, makes any flaws in the feed 100x worse.

The general theme is to just back off on all the major settings. The settings above give a good, natural picture with NTL, to my eyes at least! Hope this is of some use to you.

13. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Did you see West Ham vs Preston on Monday? I don't know about Telewest, but the quility on NTL was abysmal. Strange, because the FA Cup final (come on you Gunners!) was great on Sky and pretty poor on BBC...

I hate NTL. The day I can afford a house and leave my NTL-only flat will be a very happy one! All I need is for house prices in Nottingham to errr... halve, and I'll be well away!

14. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,366
    Tell me about it. :mad: Currently renting in west Bridgford and house prices are insane!!!

Only thing one can afford in Notts (unless you earn a packet) is a shoebox and the rooms are so small you couldn't even swing a cat in :(

I so want to go out and buy a huge tv but I can't afford anywhere big enough to house it :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

15. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I did see it (I'm a West Ham fan!! :clap: ), the close ups of the players were fine, the studio shots were pretty good, but the action on the pitch lacked clarity. The crowd looked like it was put in from Pro Evo 4!! I'm watching England on BBC1 at the moment, and it doesn't look good, but that could be due to the american coverage.

On the other hand, just finished watching Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, and it looked superb.

16. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Snap! I'm in West Bridgford too! I want to get myself a 3 bed semi here, but £200k!?!?!?! No chance...

Unfortunately I'm stuck in a flat that is plumbed up for NTL, and we're not allowed to put up a Sky dish... Going for a LCD was partly linked to me being stuck in this flat- my old CRT took up a big chunk of my floor-space. Although the LCD is bigger (32" as opposed to 28"), the floorspace it has freed up has made my lounge feel much bigger.

I would be optimistic, what with all these reports of house price crashes et al. Unfortunately, I'm an IT manager for an estate agency, so I know that it's all media rubbish. Prices are going to stay as they are or go up. I just make myself feel better by spending stupid amounts of money on home cinema equipment!!! :)

17. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I thought that too- the main camera seemed to be lower quality than the others. I thought I was going mad, but my girlfriend noticed it too... Weird.

18. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,366
    Well I can't believe that! Can't let myself believe that anyway :D

Lot of houses for sale....taking a long time to sell....historically way over the top prices.

I'd like to see a fall (no offence to anyone who has just taken on a mortgage!) but I also feel resigned to the fact that prices may just stay the same for a decade.

I think a 40% fall would make prices a bit more realistic..

19. RockStar

RockStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

With interest rates so low I think you are out of luck

20. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,366
    Hence my comment about being resigned to static prices for several years.

It's only when you look at house prices in other countries around the globe that you realise what a rip off it is here.

It's not as if their good quality either...

Must not talk about it any more, only :censored: me off :D