1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32LD7200 - Set up.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Simon44, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Simon44

Simon44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm very new to all this and after doing some research I plumped for the Hitachi 32LD7200. It arrived 2 days ago and is absolutely fantastic.

I wondered if someone could give me some advice on getting the best picture set up from this unit.

Your help would be much appreciated as it's a lot of money to me and want to make sure that I have set up correctly.

Thanks in advance.

2. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    As you know it is a new model so can't help with the setup, would appreciate you're opinions on this set though. Good PQ? etc.

3. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The most important thing I've found is to turn sharpness down to -15 (minimum) and turn black enhancement off. Sharpness setting just introduces noise and edge enhancement, black enhancement is just plain bad.

I've got:

contrast +20
    Brightness +5
    Colour -4
    Backlight +10

Everything else set to normal, or if it's any kind of noise reduction, off.

I haven't had a chance to play with the colour management yet. Don't know if I've got the patience for all those settings to be honest! Having said that, I'm off work with a broken arm at the moment, so I don't have much else to do! I might give it a go...

matt

4. Simon44

Simon44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Xelon the pq is excellent and I am over the moon with the set, have also got a Toshiba 32wl48 which I haven't got a home for. I ordered it ages ago and gave up hope of it arriving, just been told it's in stock and I can't cancel, never mind as this set is superb - I highly recccoment it

Just been out and bought the Toshiba 330E and was thinking of the Denon receiver with Canton Movie 6.

Any opinions??

Thanks!

5. Simon44

Simon44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt p - Have you got the Picture mode on Natural?

6. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yeah, I have. I'm slowly working my way to my 'ideal' settings. I've been adjusting them every ten minutes since I got the thing, been driving my girlfriend nuts!

7. Simon44

Simon44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too mate, the wife has been getting pretty p***ed off with me adjusting things every couple of minutes, you see i'm not that great at all this and just want to make sure i'm getting the best pic possible as I have been boring all my mates for months about this LCD and they all prefer the Panasonic LCD's...

I appreciate your help, wonder if you can help with the problem i'm getting with my DVD with the Hitachi. Just went and bought the Toshiba 330E DVD player but can't seem to get the picture the full size of the screen, seems to be widescreen...probably such a stupid question but one I can't answer so if you can let me know where i'm going wrong!!

Cheers

8. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    On the toshiba remote, press Setup and make sure that TV Shape is set to 16:9 wide.

On the Hitachi remote (while you are on DVD AV channel, so AV2 on mine) hit menu, go to function and set Default Zoom to 4:3. I'd also set the side bars as black here too.

Set those two settings and all your dvds will be in the correct aspect ratio. One final possibility, is the movie you are trying to watch 2.35:1? If it is, then you will still get black bars top and bottom. 16:9 movies will fill the whole screen. (apologies if you knew this already, you said you were new to this, so I thought I'd cover all the options!)

matt

9. Simon44

Simon44

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt - I did not know this already so thank you very much. I am a total idiot when it comes to this sort of stuff so I appreciate your help.

10. VanBurenPhilips

VanBurenPhilips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, this is kind of a set-up question: how d'you get the flippin' speakers off?? I unscrewed the speaker holders but couldn't get a feel for which way I was supposed to pull/push/twist, and I didn't want to force it and damage something so I left it alone (yes, I put the screws back in :) ). Couldn't find any mention of it in the manual (most likely because I didn't look hard enough, I'm sure).

11. Flying Bosun

Flying Bosun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Lucky you - two sets to choose from! I've been looking at the Hitachi, but my wife really liked the look of the Toshiba - and its been unobtainable of course - and has not been enthusiastic about the side speakers on the Hitachi. I may have to wait for the new Toshiba, although it has less connectivity.

Happy viewing! :)

12. Starfish_001

Starfish_001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An alternate set

contrast +25
    Brightness +2
    Colour -0
    Backlight +15
    sharpness -15
    black enhancement - low
    pic mode - natural
    PC input 1368 x 768 Nvidia
    Everything else set to normal

Any opinions / others?

13. Bushwacked

Bushwacked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you manage to get them off in the end?

14. VanBurenPhilips

VanBurenPhilips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol, no... to be honest, I haven't tried again since asking. Maybe I'll give it another go tomorrow... :rolleyes:

15. sgiorgi

sgiorgi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got my 32LD7200 and set it up last night. Compared to my sony CRT the number of settings you can alter is scary (and I don't know what half of them are for).

To show you how thick I am with all this stuff I have a question which you will probably laugh at - please be kind and answer it anyway.

I have Sky+ and a Philips DVP620 dvd player. I have noticed that when using scart connections on the TV that AV1 is component and AV2 & AV3 are RGB. So I have connected my Sky+ to AV2 and the dvd to AV3 (with there outputs set to RGB).

My dvd can output progressive scan and I believe I will need component cables to do this (3 leads for video and 2 for sound) and may get these leads later.

Is my current setup the best for what I have and what is the purpose of AV1 on the TV if its not RGB.

Thanks in advance.

16. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can connect all sorts of other things: videorecorder, connect it to your receiver for sound etc.

I would use component indeed, especially with the progressive scan, it effectively doubles the amount of lines you have on screen, and it gives a much more stable picture.

17. VanBurenPhilips

VanBurenPhilips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's right, get some component cables and hook the DVD up to AV4 if you want to watch in prog-scan. This is also the way to go for any game consoles (Xbox especially, but all the current ones have some games that can do prog-scan). Also, Sky (and ntl?) will be offering HDTV next year, so there's another contender for your component input :D but I believe you may also be able to use either the DVI or HDMI port for this.

I've currently got three component sources hooked up via a cheap no-frills switch-box I got off Ebay for £12, and I can't see any loss of picture quality through it. Unfortunately, I have to get up and walk across the room to switch inputs... :thumbsdow

18. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does the component switch box support prog-scan and Hi-Def?

19. VanBurenPhilips

VanBurenPhilips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes - the vast majority of the stuff I've been viewing is 480p, but my Xbox Media Centre is running in 1080i and Xbox Soul Calibur runs in 720p. I also used the Media Centre settings to briefly check out all the resolutions. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get it to play DVDs in 1080i or 720p, so all my DVD viewing has been in 480i thus far... still looks very good, though. My new copy of Zatoichi has just arrived today, so I will try applying that hex edit to DVDX and hopefully watch it in 480p later :smashin: But in short, yes, all the prog-scan and HD sources I've tried so far work and look fine through my cheapy switch-box.

20. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Good choice - Zatoichi is awesome!

I enabled HD on my Xbox the other day, and is the difference is quite dramatic. Ive been using it with a Hitachi S225 projector, which is getting on a bit now, and only has an 800 x 640 resolution. It supports up to 1080i, but both 720p and 1080i obviously have to be downscaled anyway, so 720p ends up being the best option. Im thinking about getting an X2VGA to try HD on my 17" PC monitor.

Im tempted to get the Hitachi now, but Im going to wait till Ive got some specs on the Xbox 360. If most games are going to be in 720p, then the Hitachi should do the job just fine.

What sound setup do you use with the 32LD7200?

21. Corelli

Corelli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. VanBurenPhilips

VanBurenPhilips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    About the X2VGA - it's a great piece of kit, but if you're ever likely to want to hook up anything other than your Xbox, you might want to go for the V-Digi VD-Z3 instead. It does the exact same thing, but it has component inputs and comes with a seperate Xbox component/optical audio cable - so you have the choice of any source that can output component, rather than only the Xbox. I bought one of these and sometimes use it for my Gamecube -> PC monitor in my bedroom, while the Xbox cables that came with it are being used in the living room.

I think they're about the same price, check out the VD-Z3 here.

I have a Creative 7.1 setup. Xbox goes straight into this via optical (PS2 will too when I finally reinstate it - waiting for component cables). ntl cable TV goes into the Hitachi via RGB scart, and Gamecube stereo jacks (cube only does Pro-Logic II at best, so it has no optical out) also go into the Hitachi - then these are both outputted from the Hitachi into the Creative.

23. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ive been using an Inspire Digital 5700, and its performed well for the £90 I bought it for last year. My Xbox and GC are hooked up the same way, but Ive just ordered a replacement RGB for the GC, the current one seems to have a little interference on the visual front. Ive found Pro Logic II isn't too bad, considering its just a stereo source.

I placed an order for the X2VGA last night and theyve shipped it already, even if I decide I don't need it I can get my money back on Ebay.

Now Ive just got to wait until Edge magazine comes out on the 17th, then Ill probably make a decision on the Hitachi. Have you got any pics of it in action?

24. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What's in Edge that'll help you decide?

25. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Xbox 360 exclusive - I want to know what AV outputs its going to use, and what resolutions will be used. If its going to support 1080p, then I don't think ill buy the Hitachi.

26. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers neil. I'll look out for that - wonder if the spec is set in stone yet. While I'm interested I'm not sure it'll sway my decision any.

27. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ill use my next TV just for games (mostly Xbox) and DVDs, I rarely watch any TV, so an LCD is the way to go for me. Now I just need to know if I should wait for a 1080p screen, plus waiting for the specs on the 360 is just a good excuse to hold onto my money for longer. I want to give the 32LD7200 owners a chance to settle in, you never know, maybe some quirks/glitches will pop up....

I think the Xbox 360 will have a HDMI cable available for HD. Microsoft have been shouting about entering the 'HD era', so it would be crazy for the next console not to use the HD standardised input, using component and DVI would just confuse alot of people.

Dvd playback could also be improved - if a soft-modded Xbox Media Center can upscan DVDs to 1080i, I would hope that the next gen model could do the same or better.