1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32LD7200 LCD TV review

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by matt_p, Apr 26, 2005.

1. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi,

I took delivery of my Hitachi 32LD7200 today, and here are my initial impressions. Currently connected to it is:

Toshiba SD-330E DVD via RGB scart

NTL Cable TV box (Pace) via RGB Scart

XBOX via RGB Scart

Please note though, this TV only has 2 RGB scarts. I have a Denon 1910 on the way which will be piped up to the DVI socket when it arrives, Until then, I'm just swapping the scarts as and when...

Right, starting with the basic stuff, analogue terrestrial is as to be expected. Soft picture, with visible grain if you sit too close to the screen. Sitting about 8 ft away, I don't notice the grain and the overall picture is perfectly acceptable.

NTL cable is much more impressive. Excellent colours- really vibrant and give a great sense of depth to the picture. Obviously, quality suffers on the channels with a lower bit-rate, but that's NTL for you. I was very impressed with football on Sky Sports. Didn't see any sign of motion blurring etc, it was all very crisp and extremely watchable.

DVDs are really fantastic, even through a standard RGB scart. I've had a look at Collateral to test out the screen's black-levels, and they're great. Definitely amongst the best I've seen on a LCD. The opening battles in Empire Strikes Back look amazing. Even my girlfriend got enthusiastic about it- going over to the DVDs and picking out ones to try out. Trust me, for her to get enthusiastic about something it must be good!!!

I tried to hook up a DVI connection with my PC, but failed to get the 1366x768 resolution (as expected). The stated max DVI resolution is 1024x768, but I managed to get 1280x768 with some completely random guesswork in Powerstrip. Perhaps it is possible to get 1366x768 over DVI, but I couldn't. Not bothered though, I don't have a HTPC- just tried it for the hell of it.

Switching over to Dsub, the quality isn't great at 1366x768. Auto-adjust doesn't sharpen up 100% of the screen, there are areas that are slightly hazy, which to be honest is the same as every other analogue PC-LCD connection I've seen.

The DVI-PC connection was fantastic quality (on 1024x768). If someone can find a way for the screen to accept 1366x768, then it will be perfect for HTPC. Until that happens, however, I can't really recommend for HTPC use. The Dsub quality just isn't up to it.

The sound from the speakers is acceptable. Good bass, a nice sound. I wouldn't recommend it for movies, this screen definitely needs a good surround system. But for general TV, it's perfectly fine.

Overall, I am massivly impressed with the Hitachi. It looks great, the picture is crisp, clean and really gives a great sense of depth. Some of the poorer channels on NTL look pretty rough around the edges, but feed it some good stuff and it's fantastic. Not for HTPC use yet, but for the money, a fantastic value screen.

matt

ps. Pics attached. Excuse the wires! Plug it in first, make it look nice later...

pps. Ati 9600 Radeon by the way.

EDIT: I have got 1 to 1 pixels over DVI using a nvidia geforce 6600 GT, but only with approx 1360 pixels horizontally.

Attached Files:

2. hotlava

hotlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got one of these at the weekend, I have a Pioneer DVD-575A hooked up via component and a Sky digibox and PS2 both via RGB scart.

Sky is pretty good if you take into account the quality of the source isn't the best, I think they compress the video feed a bit more on certain channels.
    The more popular channels seem better and the pictures are clear and vibrant.

PS2 fares even better, lovely crisp pictures with Gran Turismo 4.

DVDs via component are just awesome !! I tweaked the picture settings a little and the results really are fantastic. My component cables are only cheap ones that I got for under a tenner on ebay, might be tempted to get some quality ones to see if I can get things even better.

by the way, got it from www.totaldigital.biz

They're based in Brum, only about 20 miles from home so I paid them a visit. Very friendly and helpful.

3. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the reviews guys.

Is NTL cable comparable to Freeview for picture quality?

matt_p - 1366 x 768 is not likely to work with most cards and software combos. If you could try 1360 or 1368 (some cards don't like outputting resolutions not divisible by 8) instead - I bet loads of people would be interested to hear if it works on DVI.

4. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    hey guys, are the speaker removable on the hitachi, coz on the picture they look as if the are...

5. bfinteractive

bfinteractive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they are. Disagree slightly with a previous comment. Everyone that we have shown this screen to has been pretty overwhlemed by the speaker quality.

6. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Vurthed - I tried 1360, 1366, 1368... Couldn't get anywhere near full screen 1 to 1 pixel out of DVI. I'm no resolution guru though, and had very little idea of what I was actually doing in Powerstrip! The more advanced settings were completely lost on me... Have got a nvidia card to try tomorrow, will see if any different. Regarding Freeview, I would say the picture is pretty similar to NTL. Again, depends on the channel and the bit rate though.

bfinteractive - I suppose I'm too used to DD and DTS! The speakers are very good, but I personally wouldn't want to watch a movie without a proper surround system. I'm not knocking the speakers - far from it. They're great for 'normal' watching, but to have a screen like this without a decent surround system for movies seems like a waste.

7. hotlava

hotlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a Geforce 6800 graphics card that has DVI and dsub connections, I will try it out when I can and let you know what happens.

8. Ringofan

Ringofan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I too bought one of these from TotalDigital (great guys!) on the weekend. Sadly, after about ten minutes of usage (during which time the picture & sound seemed awesome!) the panel died. The screen suddenly went very dark grey & the sound cut out. The indicator light was still green & a low buzzing noise started coming from the back of the panel. Switching through the AV & RGB inputs via the remote I could tell that the channel was changing as the screen would momentarily dim then brighten again slightly, but that's it. No other sign of life. Bizarrely, after a few minutes it flared back into life for about 5 seconds as I flicked channels on my NTL digibox, but then it died again & that was that (light still green though!)... It's being swapped out sometime in the next seven days. Wish me better luck with my second one! :(

9. starbucks

starbucks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have one of these beauties now....but cannot get the res at 1:1 from reading the manual i do not think it possible as it states that through dvi it is only possible to achieve 1024*768 however it seems that through dsub it would be possible.

I am using the screen now to type this post and to be honest it is not to bad even in this stretched mode....it can be stretched to fit the full screen unlike some other lcd's namely philips whereby it does not seem possible to stretch to full screen.

other than that all is good....I am noticing some static around white text in movies using rgb scart but this could well be a dvd player issue because through the pc using dvi as you would expect it is great.

oh and the snooker is not that great through freeview but that is prob just freeview signal being poor.

great telly good sound nice swivel stand. fantastic remote control. all the connections under the sun....what more could i ask apart from dvi 1366*760 res!!!

10. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hi,

Have a look here for my posts.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203405&page=5&pp=15

I found a workaround if you have a nvidia graphics card.

By the way, regarding the pic quality issues on RGB scart, try turning sharpness to minimum (-15). To my eyes, any 'sharpness' applied to the pic adds noise and ruins it.

Matt