1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32LD7200 - DVD Question

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by sdb123, May 17, 2005.

1. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
    First off...hello all! (this is my first post) :hiya:

I have recently purchased the Hitachi 32LD7200 LCD and am connecting my DVD player, Toshiba SD-340e, by component cables. I am very pleased with the picture, yet have a question that I need to ask.

Would it be worthwhile upgrading my DVD player to one that offers HDMI connectivity into the Hitachi's HDMI input? Is the difference marked and therefore worth the extra money?

All responses appreciated... :)

Steve

2. 54xhg

54xhg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I would say yes upgrade to a hdmi dvd player.I've got mine hooked up this way,my dvd player is the panasonic s97 picture quality is fantastic,everything has a more natural look to it.I don't how much difference there is between component and hdmi,as i used to have my dvd connected to my tv by s-vhs cable.

3. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I would say maybe. Depends on the player- audition first!!! I had some trouble with my Denon 1910. I initially had it connected DVI (Denon) - HDMI (Hitachi) and it was awful. DVI-DVI worked better, but I had some blockiness and colour troubles. A bit of tweaking pretty much got it sorted, but here's what Hitachi had to say about it,

"The DVI and HDMI are optimised differently in the factory. Settings such as contrast, colour setting, greyscale, sharpness maybe different. What you percieve to be a basd picture through HDMI may in fact look much better when connected to a different HDMI source (such as SKY when it arrives with HD TV).

What you see ( blockiness ) is in my opininion due to the Denons ability to exactly recreate the image stored on the DVD disc. Since this image is being transmitted to the screen digitally and shown on the screen digitally, no analogue to digital conversion takes place, then very little noise gets into the signal.

This blockiness is in my opinion due to the very true recreation of the picture from the disc through the Denon and straight to the screen. The Upscaling to 1080i which the denon is capable of probably helps reduce this blockiness using the DCDi chipset but it is not something which can be eliminated because it is down to the original picture quality stored on the DVD. How do you feel the image looks when the denon outputs through the scart cable? This is analogue and blockiness will be reduced due to the signal loosing purity in transmission and analogue to digital conversion.

A setting which i would adjust would be sharpness and contrast on the 32ld7200 picture menu, this will make the edges between shapes less sharp and blocky."

That pretty much confirmed what I'd thought about the Denon. There are pretty polarised views of it all around the web- some think it's amazing, some get pretty rough results with it. It complements some screens better than others.

So, I think the moral is, make sure you try the player out first. Digital is technically better, but it might not necessarily give you a better picture.

4. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,222
    Thanks for the replies so far 54xhg and Matt_P :smashin:

I've been looking at the Panasonic s97 and could pick one up for a reasonable price, so may audition that with the HDMI connection in place. Do you have the same Hitachi screen 54xhg?

Cheers,

Steve :)

5. 54xhg

54xhg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes i do have the hitachi 32ld7200 Steve.Picture quality excellent,although at first i did have problems with the picture but that was because i did'nt have it set to the correct settings.

6. simon_fourthave

simon_fourthave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask you what have you got your picture settings set to. I received this
    set yesterday and I need to tweak the settings a bit as the colours look too bright

7. 54xhg

54xhg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    My settings are:

Picture mode Natural
    Contrast +20
    Brightness 0
    Colour -3
    Sharpness -2
    Colour temp Normal
    Contrast mode Normal
    Backlight 0

Second page set everything to off

Third page

Colour Temp Adjust

Top row everything set to 0
    Bottom row everything set to 0

Colour Management
    Magenta +40
    Red +33
    Yellow +26
    Green +30
    Cyan +22
    Blue +40

Colour decoding
    select RGB
    Red +33
    Green +33
    Colour -3

Hope's this helps.

8. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I'm pretty much the same as 54xhg, but I have contrast about +10 and sharpness -15.

A lot depends on your source- just start at 54xhg's and play with the settings. I spent the first couple of weeks changing my settings every few minutes!

9. john1509

john1509
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys just got my tv yesterday having a problem with my dvd player i have a panny sc ht520 surround sound with dvd have connected it up using component cables works fine but how do you know when it it playing in progressive scan mode it says in the manual that the tv has to be comaptable is the hatachi ok for this or not or do i have to set something up on the tv sorry if its a silly question but new to all this stuff do i have to buy somemore cabels if so can someone recomend what to get tx

10. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I'm not sure about settings on your panasonic, but you don't have to change anything on the Hitachi. If you're connecting over component you should be fine.

Could you put some full stops in next time please? Your post almost sent me cross-eyed :)

11. john1509

john1509
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry matt. so the hatachi will surpport progressive scan then.

12. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yep, should detect it straight off without needing to change any settings.