1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32ld7200 connections

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by s1mmo, Jun 16, 2005.

1. s1mmo

s1mmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys, just bit the bullet and ordered one of these beasts from av-euronics who are doing it for £1280 which includes delivery, 3-year warranty and 12 months 0% finance with a flexible a pay as you go system.

oh and delivery in around 7 days!

so just enough time to sort out the new cables required!!!

any suggestions on which component/hdmi cables are best to use, at reasonable prices and a performance to do the screen justice ?

cheers

2. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    All my cables are Profigold from www.tvcables.co.uk

They give great results and are really well put together. Not too expensive either.

3. s1mmo

s1mmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers matt

What I am really trying to establish is - is it worth forking out for a dvd player with a hdmi out ? or is the component just as good ??

I have sky plus which I plan to hook-up to RGB Scart, a VHS to S-Video, and a PS2 - again RGB Scart I guess ?

I currently run everything s-video through my denon 3803..

I'm trying to find out from people who already own a 32ld7200 what they have used and if they can reccomend it ???

Cheers

4. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'm using the component on my 32LD7200 for my Xbox, so I'm going down the HDMI route for DVD. I'm getting a Panasonic S97 on Saturday, hopefully, so I'll let you know how it compares to a component input.

Not sure what I am going to do when Telewest bring out their hi-def PVR box, as I'll want to use HDMI for that as well!

5. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Here's my HDMI/DVI player experiences so far:

Started off with a Denon 1910. This was initially going DVI on player to HDMI on Hitachi. It was rubbish. Really awful picture. Eventually I found out that the denon didn't like the DVI -> HDMI transition, and connecting it DVI->DVI gave much better results. Someone once explained why, but it was very technical and didn't really mean anything to me...

Anyway, Denon 1910 DVI->DVI was fine, until the macroblocking problem made itself known. Again, the Denon's fault. It's a known problem with the player, and ruined what was an otherwise fine machine. I tried to live with it for a couple of months, but I got so sick of it I ordered a Panny s97 the other day.

So, on to the Panny. This is connected HDMI->HDMI, and it is excellent. Far far far superior to the Denon 1910, and with the latest firmware, no macroblocking to be seen. The Panny comes with a cheapo HDMI cable, and I can definitely see a difference between that and my Profigold HDMI cable. Profigold does have a cleaner image for sure.

In my experience with the two players, the digital connection is definitely clearer than component. Also, both these players upconvert to 720p and 1080i, but only over the DVI/HDMI. For that reason alone it's worth going the digital route. As for the cables, cheapos/freebies are definitely no match for a 'decent' cable. You'd never catch me spending hundreds on a cable, but I think £30-£50 is a good investment for the results you'll get.

rob_finch, make sure you get your hands on the latest firmware for the s97. Mine arrived as version 528. I upgraded to 540 and the difference is phenomenal. It's almost a different player entirely!!! It's absolutely fantastic.

6. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,221
    Hi Matt_P,

I'm interested in hearing the performance uptake from the firmware upgrade to the S97.

Also, have you made any adjustments to fine tune the piccie? (I used your settings on the Hitachi - awesome btw!)

Cheers

Steve

7. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The original firmware with the player had pretty bad macroblocking, but not as bad as my old denon 1910. Also, blacks and other dark colours were off- there was a lack of detail and too much green. The new firmware sorted out 95% of the macroblocking, so it's now bordering on unnoticable. The colours have been sorted out too.

All in all, this firmware upgrade seriously turns it into a completely different machine, the pic quality with the Hitachi is astounding!

There may be players out there with post-528 version firmware, so I cant say how much improvement would be gained from upgrading to 540. All I can say is that the jump in performance from 528 to 540 is huge. If you put a 528 player next to a 540 player and did a straight PQ comparison, I would probably have guessed that the 540 was at least a couple of hundred quid more expensive. I never knew that firmware could make such a difference!

I've got a copy of Digital Video Essentials on it's way, so I'll be able to get some 'proper' calibration done on Monday. I'll post up my new settings then!

8. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,221
    Cheers Matt....look forward to the settings
    :thumbsup:

9. s1mmo

s1mmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys
    looks like I'll have to dig a bit deeper and splash out a panny s97 as everyone is raving about them!! :eek:

where can you find the firmware upgrade ?? (for future reference)

10. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    http://home.comcast.net/~home_theater_test/s97_85E540_firmware_upgrade.htm

For anyone with a s97, to check your firmware version, with the player stopped and empty, press and hold "Pause" and "Open" on the player, and press 7 on the remote. The last three numbers are the firmware version.

You won't lose multi-region, by the way.

11. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have just ordered a Denon 3910 to go with my 32LD7200 (plus a Profigold HDMI cable - cheers matt_p for the link from another thread :smashin: )

Once I've got it and had a play I'll share my experiences and some photos too.

Mike

12. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Be quick, I think it's been discontinued and not replaced (as yet). I got mine from 123electricals4me.co.uk, one of the few places I could find that had a multi region one. Good service- arrived within 24 hours.

Definitely seems to be the bargain upscaling player of the moment!

13. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Matt, you are a star! :thumbsup: This is the second time you've helped me out already.

My local Richer Sounds has one of the multi region versions reserved for me, and will price match, so this may be a good bet for anyone else looking for one.

P.S. Profigold HDMI cable also on order!

14. rob_finch

rob_finch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Matt, how did you get on with DVE? Might get myself a copy if you recommend it. Does it also help with synchronizing the audio/video? I'm finding myself staring at actor's mouths wondering if the dialogue is in sync with the video all the time, and tweaking my amp's audio delay regularly.

Got my S97, upgraded the firmware, and it looks amazing. :clap:

15. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    To be honest, I haven't had a chance with DVE yet. The other day my washing machine blew up- smoke and everything! Would be funny if it was someone elses... Installed the replacement today, went to cook some dinner and my oven blew up!

Seriously, got some bad karma over here, I tell you. Must have run over a rabbit or something...

Anyway, back to the original point, I'll have a bash at DVE at some point soon. I had a brief play and the basic settings that we've posted between us are almost bang on. The more advanced stuff (colour decoding) is a bit out, but it's so damn fiddly it'll take at least a few hours to get it sorted I'm sure. You change one thing, then find that that has made something else slightly out. So you fix that, and something else needs tweaking... and on and on etc etc...

I'm with you on the audio, I'm forever playing about with the delay settings... In fact, I'm always playing with all the settings! I think I need some therapy for obsessive compulsive behaviour!