1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32LD7200 Buzzing

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Greg Hook, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,072
    Hi

Thought I would start a new thread for everyone who has the buzzing issue. Got mine yesterday from Comet and it has it too. :mad:

I don't get it all the time, it seems to come and go. It is hardly there at all in Dynamic mode, gets louder in Natural and is very noticeable in Cinema mode.

I have used the excellent settings posted in the other thread for watching DVDs on component and this seems to eliminate the buzzing, but any tips on reducing the buzzing when watching Sky etc?

Why does it get louder when you go from dynamic to natural to cinema. Is there one setting that can be lowered to reduce the buzzing? I have tried lowering the backlight but it seems to get louder the lower you go. If whats on the screen is very light you don't hear buzzing, but if it's darker you do hear it. Very strange :confused:

Thanks
    Greg

2. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I've got a buzzing screen as well.

It only happens in dark scenes.

I've used the DVE settings from the other thread, but ive increased the backlight to +20 to get rid of the buzzing.

I've set it to +20 on ana TV, Sky digi and DVD playback.

Also when RGB1 + 2 (PC input) is selected, the screen is completly quite, even if the backlight is -20.

I hope this helps.

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,072
    Thanks Vinesh. Will try messing about with the backlight. Tried watching plain old terrestrial and no buzzing at all. Seems odd that it only happens on some inputs.

4. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ugh..!! With my backlight +20 i couldn't stand watching in the night...i would immediately return the unit if it irritates you cause it will be either the buzz or the blacks going grey in the nights that will irritate the hell out of you especially with something like a television!

5. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its there is no buzzing when connected to component video I can only assume it may be due to scart cable interference. It may be worth trying a RGB only scart to see\hear results. I have the QED SQUART 4110 and I have never had the buzz on my 7200. Although I have never tried with a std. fully wired scart so can not compare.

Interested to hear your results; as would be alot of other 7200 owners.

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,072
    The buzzing comes and goes though. If the picture is very light there is no buzzing, but if it's very dark then there is buzzing. Surely if it's scart problems then the buzzing would be there no matter what the picture. The buzzing is also there with component too.

7. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I've spoken to Hitachi about this issue and can conclude the following:

1) Hitachi at present have no known issues with this screen, if there were, the screens would be replaced/repaired without a problem.

2) Hitachi are willing to send out an engineer under warranty, but if this buzzing is deemed as within the acceptable noise levels, you have the pleasure of footing the £70+VAT bill.

I myself am not willing to spend that amount of money to get an engineer out to patronize me with 'they all do that'.

I'm 100% sure it's a transformer buzz; like when a light dimmer is not set to maximum. Why it comes and goes may be down to the processing the screen does to improve black levels. Even when this is set to 'off' the screen still reduces the backlight a little when on dark scenes to improve blacks.

To my knowledge, 1 user from this forum has had an engineer look at his buzzer, and was told it's 'normal'.

If anyone else is willing to risk it, please, let us know the results. :thumbsup:

Ben

8. spatial101

spatial101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read some where that the issue was resolved before I got mine about 1 or 1 and half months ago, but mine came through and still buzzes. Mine was part of a new batch from Hitachi so I'm not convinced.

Also, the fact that Hitachi haven't even recognised this as an official fault (according to their technical support line anyway) makes me believe that this issue has not been looked at at all.

Ben

10. spatial101

spatial101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, shame really. I was looking at getting this LCD as it sounds like a really great set, but I know any excessive buzzing would bug the hell out of me so I don't think I'll take the risk.

Looks like the JVC DS6 might be the way to go for me. Everyone seems happy with that one (although that could just be down to the fact that not a lot of people have purchased it)

11. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Hitachi's not the only LCD known to have humming/buzzing issues; I've read that Philips, Samsung and even some of the new Panny's are having similar issues. It may be a more general issue relating to the actual back light technology rather than a brand issue.

Ben

12. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,072
    I will probably leave it then as I'm not going to pay for an engineer to come out only for him to tell me it has no fault.

Also it is a new one as Comet had no stock when I ordered and it had only just arrived in their warehouse a few days later from Hitachi.

It's only minor problem with Sky. With the settings on the other thread I have almost got rid of it with the DVD and when on the Xbox (which looks fantastic by the way, even via crappy scart) it isn't noticeable due to the constant game noise anyway.

Just hoping when HD-Sky comes out that the buzzing won't be present on the HDMI connection.

But for those who haven't purchased it yet, if I had heard the buzzing before hand I might still have gone for it. The set just looks totally gorgeous together with that excellent motorised stand (which I will probably wear out if I keep playing with it) and the vast connections on offer.

Thanks
    Greg

13. phlarris

phlarris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what are the other sensible options? I was really heading for the Hitachi, but really don't want to spend that much for it to buzz at me from the corner of the room :-(

I've looked at the Toshiba 32WL56, and that looks great, and at a good price. Are there any other options?

Phil (desperately in need of a nice big LCD :)

14. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of getting one of these TV's. And my main question is -

Is the buzzing louder than my Sky+ 160 box, which is really quite noticeable as the hard drive is making a constant whirring noise when the unit is on.

15. spatial101

spatial101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Panny Plasma emits a slight buzz when it's switched on which that I can live with.

Its audible when there's nothing much happening but gaming really drowns it out. As I'd mostly be using any LCD for that purpose (and with component inputs) then I can't see it being that much of a problem - providing its a humming bzzzzz rather than an over the top BZZZZZZZZZ :D

Is it possible that it's slight electrical interference of some kind? Would trying Ferrite cores or something help? (that's me thrashing about in the dark there mind)

16. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,072
    Well not knowing how loud your Sky+ box is, it's difficult to say but you can't hear the buzzing during normal scenes, talking, music etc. It's only when everything is quiet that you hear it. If you can hear you Sky+ box over the normal viewing then I would say the TV was quieter.

17. edgarj

edgarj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just received my Hitachi from Comet and it also buzzes, albeit not too loudly. I wouldn't have even noticed it either if it wasn't for reading this thread. I've not experimented too much with changing settings but I agree with Vinesh that raising the Backlight to +20 can help eliminate the buzzing most of the time (to be honest, I only notice the noise anyway when the TV is on mute). I wouldn't let this put anyone off buying the TV which is great when receiving good quality input signals (my Telewest channels are a bit hitty missy but perfectly watchable - DVDs via Toshiba 350e HDMI connection are superlative).

18. timba

timba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had the engineer from Comet round, He had'nt a clue but was going to e-mail Hitachi so will be interesting to see what the reply is. (although He did think it might be a software problem ?)

My set buzzes even with the backlight set at +20 on dark movie scenes and this is through either the scart or component connection.

Will hold out for it to be either fixed or replacement set as it is unacceptable for this on a £1500 set !!

19. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Timba, be sure to keep us posted!!

Just out of curiosity, will Comet charge you if no Hitachi say it's 'normal'??

Ben

20. timba

timba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well had the engineer round and he phoned Hitachi, they said there is no known fix for the buzzing so Comet will exchange the set for me :clap: .............but they have none in stock and won't for a while, so I'll guess I will have to put up with it for now.

Picture is better than my CRT on freeview !!

21. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,072
    That's interesting news Timba. Did you just phone Comet's service and they sent an engineer out as easy as that or did you have to do something else?

Thanks
    Greg

22. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting.. does that mean Hitachi recognise this as a 'fault' now?!

Ben

23. timba

timba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greg, yes that's all I did and demo'ed the screen to the engineer (also moaned how a £1500 tv should'nt really do that )

I don't know how loud the other buzzers are but sitting 2.5m away and watching "Lost" last night (with backlight at +20 and vol at 16) I could hear it in the dark scenes so mine is pretty loud.

Will be in touch with Hitachi as well to see if I can push for a free DVD player as well :eek:

24. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,072
    Thanks Timba, I will give Comet a call and have a moan. Would be interested to know how you get on with the free dvd player too.

Cheers
    Greg

25. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,072
    Had the Comet engineer round this morning and will also be getting a replacement. I don't know if the Comet engineers are aware of this problem now because all the guy did was turn it on, listen to the buzzing, get the serial number and then tell me I would be getting a replacement.

Quite pleased with the service as I only called Friday afternoon and the engineer was there this morning at 8.45.

26. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm.. judging by the amount of posts regarding availability of this screen, I'd say you're in for another looooooong wait for the replacement set..

Ben

27. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Well, he can have my place in the queue, I think. I don't see the point of waiting months for one of these only to find it buzzes and then the successful outcome of this is that you have to wait even longer for a replacment.

I'm gonna queue for the Tosh 32WLT58 insead.

28. karlak

karlak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,474
    Is there a pattern emerging here?

You guys that have the 'buzzes', are these the early TV's or have they only just been bought?

29. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,072
    I don't mind waiting for a replacement. The buzzing is annoying, but knowing a new one will be coming makes it liveable.

Mine was only bought over a week ago. I think the new/old production buzzing theory has already been discounted on another thread in this forum.

30. Matt C

Matt C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did they give you a date for replacement then?