1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32LD7200 backlight buzz

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by hotlava, May 10, 2005.

1. hotlava

hotlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    anyone suffering from a buzzing noise on their Hitachi 32LD7200 ?

Seems a little worse when the pictures are darker.

I can pretty much stop it happening on sky via RGB scart by adjusting the backlight setting to maximum but no amount of tweaking will stop it on DVDs via component.

It's not that loud but I can hear it when there are quiet moments in films, more than likely because I know it's there I'm listening extra hard !

Not sure whether this is an inherant quality with LCDs in general, I recall reading that the Philips 9986 is known to suffer too. I'm really just trying to find out whether it's normal and I should put up with it or whether my set has a fault. The noise seems to be emanating from the rear left of the set if you look at it from the front.

Would be interested to hear other owners' views on this ?

2. rb968

rb968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At least its not just me then. Got mine last Thursday and pretty much straight away I got a buzzing noise. It is quiet and only when there is no volume at all coming from my speakers can I hear it. It is definitely the backlight (or at least the neon looking light you can see when you look down into the rear of the TV). If I change inputs or even TV channels and you look down into through the grills the backlight switches off temporarily as the screen flashes black and the buzz stops. At one point I did get it to stop by adjusting the backlight down to ints minimum level but now I cannot get it to go. If I switch to the RGB1 or RGB2 inputs the backlight goes off and the sound stops (I have nothing connected to those inputs) I have a DVD player connected via HDMI and at the moment just an RF Aerial connected. It buzzed with just the HDMI connected so its not from the aerial. I have mine wall mounted so will see how it goes and then may contact Hitachi about it. Seems a bit intermittent ad last night I could have sworn it stopped whilst watching a DVD.
    If you find a solution please let me know. I have reset eveything to original settings but doesn't seem but be anything I've adjusted or switched on. BTW I have removed the TV speakers and am using a home cinema amp and speakers.

Rich

3. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I can hear a very faint buzz on mine, but only when my ear is about 6 inches from the top of the set. Any further away and I can't hear it, even when I'm specifically listening for it. In fact, when I'm watching a DVD, the only annoying sound I get is excess disc-spinning noise from my Denon 1910 :mad:

If it's as bad as you say, possibly send it back for repair? As I said, it is 99% not there on mine, so sounds like a fault.

matt

4. axv

axv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    i had this on mine as well but its my first lcd so wasn't sure. Thing is, it only really happened on for the first couple of days and now its gone.... turning the backlight up to 19+ did make it disappear though. Odd

5. Flying Bosun

Flying Bosun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've noticed it on mine, but its only when the screen changes to a dominant colour and only at the time of change - ie it fades away after a second or two. I can only hear it with the sound right down and its more of a hum than a buzz, and yes its from the left hand side (looking at the set). I don't think it bothers me and anyway I'll wait and see if it settles down - it seems that these sets need a few days of use to bed in.

6. dbradley

dbradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 17LD7200 arrived this morning and I've already noticed the buzz/hum. Its midly annoying.......mainly here it when I open my DVD door as the Pioneer player changes the full screen to a blue colour.

7. jmcardle

jmcardle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    All

You'd be doing a lot of people a big favour if you kept the forum updated on this. I'm trying to find one at the moment, as are a lot of people, and feedback like this is invaluable.

Fingers and toes crossed that it's just a bedding-in problem :lease: !!!

Cheers

8. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hitachi has something for buzzing, i guess they don't care about it, i heard their last range of tv's and they all had a buzz, the worst was their plasma though...my dear lord it would drive me nutz, as if a beehive was in the back of the plasma.

My lcd monitor has the same problem when turning down the backlight, i don't understand why though (it's less bright, so you would assume less power etc.??) so i have to put it at levels i don't mind during the day but at evenings it can get a bit too bright...

9. sgiorgi

sgiorgi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no buzzing with mine. But I have just had sky+ installed and that has a very loud buzz. I know its off topic but does anyone else who has a sky+ box have the same problem.

10. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Could it be the way the backlight is being dimmed? As I understand it - some methods create RFI (radio frequency interference). Household light dimmer switches often buzz.

11. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There is a poll up here to see how widespread this problem is.

If you own a 32LD7200 please vote in the poll. Thanks

12. hotlava

hotlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I reckon you could well be right, I was thinking the other day how best to describe the noise and a house light dimmer was the best comparison.

13. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's more of a mosquito sound on my lcd, not the buzzing beehive sound like a plasma!

14. rb968

rb968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called Hitachi customer services last night and was given my local service centres number so I can get someone to have alook at mine. The I sit about 2.80m from the screen and with no audio or a quiet scene in a TV programme or DVD its getting a bit annoying. No adjustment of the backlight stops it. I'll let you know how I get on once I've called them tonight. I'm hoping they'll send someone to look at it as its bolted to the wall and the packaging has gone to the tip as it took up half my front room!

Rich

15. swilt1

swilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flash, Has your turned up yet? How you finding it?

16. hotlava

hotlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've spoken to my local place already, they said 'they all do it' and they knew of some guy who had swapped displays 3 times but all were the same. Don't know how true that is but that's what they said.

Will be interested to hear what your local repair centre say.

My buzzing isn't too bad at the moment but I would much prefer it if it didn't do it.

17. axv

axv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine's completely disappeared now and i've also noticed it doesn't get as warm at the back. Not sure if the two things are related though?? Not even sure if this helps.

18. VanBurenPhilips

VanBurenPhilips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This'll be no help at all, but mine is totally silent - I'm almost always using the "natural" picture mode which is mostly unchanged from the initial settings, and I've not heard a peep out of the set. I just went and put my ear up to it for the purposes of the poll - at the back, I can hear a faint tone only from within about three inches; from the front, absolutely nothing, even with my ear actually touching the set. Christ, I hope I'm not going deaf.

19. rb968

rb968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If nothing else its good to know there are some that don't make any noise.

Hotlava; I had a horrible feeling when I phoned Hitachi that would be the response. Will have to see what the service dealer says. I don't think they can write it off as "they all do that sir". Reminds me of what the TVR dealer always used to tell me!!

20. rb968

rb968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hitachi Service Centre Engineer booked to come Wednesday morning. Will let you know if anything comes of it.

21. flash!

flash!
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No mate, hopefully it'll be here early next week :thumbsup:

Have been too busy redoing the lounge ready for it coming, so not been on here for a couple of days. I'll report my findings regarding the buzzing once i've got it.

Cheers

22. swilt1

swilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmm buzzing, maybe its all down to our wifes forgetting to turn those little vibrating toys off they all have!! They get a treat from Ann Summers and we get anew LCD, sounds fair to me :devil: us men are winners all round :thumbsup:

23. Puffer

Puffer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, if life (wives) were so simple a £10 buzzer for the girls and a £1000 buzzer for the boys :D

24. neil c

neil c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Didnt realise you could spend that much on a vibrator.... ;)

25. swilt1

swilt1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehehe £10 are the specials one's come with a back of aspirins for thos "headaches" :smashin:

26. hotlava

hotlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    rb968

how did your engineer visit go ??

27. rb968

rb968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not very well. My "Service Engineer" turned out to be two blokes in Blue storeman jackets from effectively a TV repair shop. They came into the house armed with no more than a clipboard and when I switched the TV on immediately said "thats normal sir". We've had the Hitachi Technical Liason Officer" out and he says all plasmas and LCD's make a buzz, its just the way they're made." Then followed up with some rubbish about "its this modern technology you see" and it was pretty clear I was getting the fob off.

I showed him that the noise went away when the backlight went off as you switched inputs etc but he wasn't interested. So basically I had to say I wasn't happy with it, thanks for coming, thinking I'll have to bloody phone Hitachi again and complain. Been busy at work yesterday so haven't been able to call yet to see what my options are. Last night I tried turning the backlight right up to +20 the noise disappeared and as I switched TV channels (RF) it briefly buzzed then disappeared again.

Back to the drawing board. At least I know it can be made to go but whats the impact of having the backlight on +20?

Rich

28. hotlava

hotlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I rather thought that might be the case unfortunately.

Mine only buzzes when there's a dark picture being displayed, it's a tad weird...

moving the backlight setting to +20 is the only way I can get it to disappear at all, but it still occurs when dark pics are on.

I wouldn't have thought there's a problem with the backlight setting being maxed out, it's still pretty darn bright when set to -20 !!

To be honest, I'm not sure there's much we're gonna be able to do about this, it would be interesting to hear some sort of comment from Hitachi themselves though. When I sent them an email before I just got referred to the service reps.

29. axv

axv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mine's the same, a very slight buzz when screen is all black, fortunately this isn't often but i'm not sure how annoyingly it would be on really dark films though! Overall i'm very happy with it though.

30. hotlava

hotlava

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    axv, don't get me wrong, the set is fantastic and provides fabulous pics and I'm more than happy with it. I have a Pioneer DVD player hooked up with some 'Mark Grant' component cables and the results really are phenomenal.

It's just that sometimes, if I'm watching tv late at night with the sound down I can hear the buzzing, if there's a way to make it stop completely then all the better.