1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 32 LD 7200 and £250 John Lewis warranty. Worth it?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by DMRT46, Oct 19, 2005.

1. DMRT46

DMRT46
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

Was in John Lewis other day and decided to plump for the Hitachi 32 LD 7200.
    Price £1,495. This includes the 5 yr warranty which is standard. Tried to price match but nearest I could get was only about £50 all in all (inclu del and even finding one "in stock" was much harder). John Lewis are also out of stock at this time and awaiting deliveries before I can have one.

However Comet sell this set for £1,251.99 +16.99 del which now means a BIG saving over JL price.

Now is it worth paying JL an extra 250 quid for the extra 4 yrs or should i plump for the Comet one at £1,251.99 with just ONE YEAR warranty? It also looks like they have stock and can deliver in a few days too!!!

ONE advantage of the Comet deal I think is that under the distance selling regs I have a cooling off period where I can return it to any store for any reason if not happy ie PQ or a feature or even the dreaded buzz for a full refund. JL stated that if it simply was not liked then they would take it back but charge a 10% handling fee (£150).

I do like the idea of possible return to comet along with the fast delivery which seems to be available but would be prepared to wait if its worth it.

Must add that the JL staff I spoke to was probably the most helpful I have ever known and very knowledgable - when uncertain of how a certain function worked he even went onto the internet and downloaded the user manual (PDF) and went through it to find the answer for me.

Any thoughts on what way I should go?

2. UKBOY

UKBOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    If you buy via the JL website you also get "protection" via the Distance Selling Regulations.

Despite what JL say, I do not believe (if you buy via the net) they are entitled to charge a restocking fee.

The only thing you would lose would be any delivery fees (both to you and back to them).

UKBoy.

3. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about this DMRT46?

Go to Currys, they have it for £1251 and FREE DELIVERY then at Checkout punch in this code: 100off1000_candg

You will get a further £100 discount. It worked for me as I have recently ordered the same model, it will arrive on the 29th!!!

Thanks to Stravinsky for this, BTW. :)

I'm sure you could buy some 3rd party cover for less than £350!

4. Chanes

Chanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could save the money and hope it remains reliable after the one year warranty runs out. I bought my JVC from J.L and didn't mind paying a bit over for the extra 4 years of cover. I also trust J.L because they've been fast in resolving any problem I have had with other goods I've bought there, I cannot say the same for Comet, Currys, Dixons who at one point or another have given me a hard time. It's your money and your choice.

5. richest

richest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    iboris, how long does that code last for mate.. also in your view might it be worth waiting until december to see if prices drop more, i am in no rush.

pps. that code, or others,,can it be used for other sets? if no why just this one?.. just wondered

cheers

6. iBoris

iBoris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure how long the code lasts, but it certainly works at the mo, And I can't really complain getting a £1500 HD TV for £1151 and change!

Prices are always gonna drop, usually after Xmas, but then a new product line will be out that has better features etc.

As to the code it isn't just to TV's, should have made that clear. If you spend over £1000 at currys and enter the code you get £100 off.

7. Snash

Snash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a similar quandry with the Toshiba 32WLT58 - JL sell it for £1,495 and have it in stock but other places you can get for about £1,050 - £455 for a five year guarantee and peace of mind - seems like a lot to me :(

8. UKBOY

UKBOY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    My own view on warranties may differ from some here :-

Even accounting for the "so called" free additional four years of warranty offered by JL, I would expect the tv to last much longer than the five years anyway.

Lets face it, JL obviously dont expect much of a percentage of their sales to come back and haunt them by being warranty issues.

If I had a tv that broke down and had been treated well and only subject to reasonable usage, I may argue with the retailer regarding the six years rule and expect that even if they dress it up as goodwill, that they would either agree to repair or replace, so for me the warranty plays no part in the purchasing decision.

UKBoy.

9. Jim Barry

Jim Barry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which six years rule is that?

10. richest

richest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks borris. whats a six year rule?

11. blakey1

blakey1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Under the sales of goods act an electrical item like a television should have a life span of between 5 and 6 years.Ifthe item in question breaksdown before this time you have the right to return it to the retailer for them to fix it. Therefore John Lewis are not offering anything more than the consumer is entitled to. Problem is most retailer will never admit to the sales of goods act and you would possibly have to threaten most retailers with court action for them to abide by it. Therefore JL are offering peace of mind more than anything.