1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 28LD5200- semi review/ DVI and PC trouble

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Wunkley, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there

First post on here, and my first LCD screen so go easy :)

Just got myself the Hitachi 28LD5200 (£799 from Richer Sounds. Even though it's a lot of money it is relatively speaking a bargain for a 28" LCD TV!)

I've mainly bought this as a games console/ PC gaming screen and as such it was the connectivity that really won me over as well as the price. Whatever screen I got had to have component, RGB scart and DVI and this was one of the few that had all 3 (within my budget anyways).
    It's going upstairs in the spare room which has basically now become a boy's geek kingdom I can retreat to.

First impressions:
    1. TV - briefly hooked it up to sky downstairs via RBG. Rubbish picture (pixellated etc) but this I understand is due to quality of the SkY signal. Started to get a bit worried but then attached my...

2. Gamecube, then xbox (via rgb scart) - amazing. fantastic colour and clarity, no pixealating (like on tv pic). Only slight criticism is the black levels but with tinkering this isn't too bad.

3. PC VGA connection - firstly attached to my Nvidia 6800GT through the VGA connection. After a bit of trouble (until I found the auto fit feature in the TV set up) I'm really really impressed. It's running at 1280x768 (native res) and looks really crisp and vibrant. Games are equally impressive (especially bright 'outdoor' ones such as Far Cry which is nothing short of stunning on this screen coupled with my 6800GT and 4x anti-aliasing etc.) I'm sitting about 1.5 metres away (very wide desk) and it's truly great if a little overwhelming. I hope I don't start getting motion sickness that I've heard some people get???
    Again blacks are a problem on some darker games, spinter cell chaos theory especially. This game looks stunning on my 19" CRT (Mitsubishi diamond) but is a bit 'greyed out' on the LCD. Problem is there's no black enhancement option in the VGA menu like there is for RBG scart :(

4. PC DVI connection - was expecting big things from this and this is where the PROBLEM lies. It will only run at 1024 x 768 res max which looks blurred as it's not default res. I can force my GT to run at 1280x768 at 60hz but then it doesn't fit horizontally (about 2 inches cropped off on the right!!!) The auto adjust doesn't correct it either.

This is reallly disappointing as I wanted to run both my huge 28" on DVI for ultra PC gaming and also have the option to switch to my 19" CRT on VGA (graphics card has both outputs) for certain dark games or general comp use.

Also how better really is DVI on an LCD compared to VGA. I fail to see how it could be that much crisper to be honest, or is it different in other ways.

Can anyone out there help?

2. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone??

3. fatty 99

fatty 99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi wunkley

have you tried downloading powerstrip and forcing the 1280x768 through the dvi.

let me know how it goes as im thinking of getting one on friday for pc gaming and xbox

4. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Cheers Fatty

Haven't tried powerstrip yet no. From my understanding the Nvidia Forceware drivers (I'm running 76.50s) do pretty much the same thing don't they? You can choose resolutions, add custom ones and force refresh rates with them.
    As I say I can get the screen to go 1280x768 at 60hz but the right hand side is cropped off. I really hate it when you get something new, have expectations and things don't go as planned.
    I will give powerstrip a go though just in case...

If it does work how much better image quality can I expect from using DVI rather than the VGA(d-sub) connection? As I said in my first post it really does look good as it is. If DVI doesn't work properly I'm going to have to keep swapping the vga leads at the graphics card end though, depending on which monitor I want to use. A right pain, and you have to keep changing the resolutions and refresh rates every time.

5. fatty 99

fatty 99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wunkley

only differenece i notice is text is sharper on dvi,
    by the way would you recomend it for gaming
    since you mentioned the blacks not good

6. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm, if it's only text I'm not that fussed then. Actually if you use the 'picture enhancement' feature in the Hitachi menu this notcably sharpens up text on VGA - setting it to low is best I find as any higher starts to look a bit too much (like over sharpening a pic in photoshop)

Even on VGA input I would say this is great for PC gaming, but as I mentioned the poor black reproduction that most LCDs have can cause problems in certain games - namely Splinter Cell CT, Doom 3, Thief 3 (all 'dark' games by their nature)

However, fire up something like Far Cry, Half Life 2, or Rome Total War for example with a bright outdoor level and it is fuggin amazing! It really is a bit surreal, especially playing an FPS - sucks you right in.

That's my beef with the DVI not working properly. I want to have my CRT set up for 'dark' games or whatever, but be able to easily switch to my new monster screen for other stuff.

7. fatty 99

fatty 99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers wunkley

think i buy one friday

8. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for it. It's only money ay it ;)
    I should also add that the response time seems to be fine for gaming too. I was really worried about this before getting an LCD, however I can't see any ghosting at all (and I am really really picky about all things display wise)
    I can't seem to find details of what the response time actually is, pretty sure it's not quoted in the manual though I haven't studied it properly yet. Can anyone confirm what it is?

9. bobinski

bobinski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have one of these and managed to get it running at the resolution you seek.Problem is i cant recall how i did it :rolleyes:
    I did download powerstrip and used it to set higher resolutions.But i am sure i went to diplay properties,advanced,adapter,list all modes and set 1280 etc and then changed the screen res to that and then clicked ok to accept and it worked.
    I am pretty sure i only used powerstrip after this and recall it ,or me really,buggering up the settings because i lost the 1280 etc and had to start all over again,this time using powerstrip to set the resolution.
    I am sorry if this sounds confused! I have been up working most of the night.
    By the way,this is a great screen for gaming and when fed a good digi tv signal is pretty dammed good as well.

10. VurtHed

VurtHed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Wunkley - have a look at what matt_p has posted about shifting the picture in the 32LD7200 thread. Post #70 onwards.

11. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VurtHed - ta very much for that. Following that advice I can now get a desktop res of 1280x768 at 60hz, perfect pic quality, perfect fit using DVI :thumbsup:

I didn't even have to bother with powerstrip, just did it using the Nvidia Forceware options.
    However, it's not all good. As soon as you launch any games and go to options to set the resolution the only available ones to choose from are 640x480, 800x600 or 1024x768 - so no good at all really. Bahhh.

Any other possible fixes for making it work in games and other apps?

12. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of new games have an option to use widescreen which will give you the correct resolution. If the game does not cater for widescreen you can tell the graphic drives to scale or put in some black bars when different resolutions are used...

13. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think this will work - using the DVI connection, once you actually go into the game it seems to 'lose' the tweaks I set up to be able to run the desktop at 1280x768 60hz. ie there aren't any resolutions to choose from above 1024x768.
    Using the vga connection there are all the usual resolution choices, inluding widescreen options in the new ones yes.

15. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have read through this and other threads on the subject and really can't get my 28LD5200 to display 1280x768. I have downloaded the powerstrip. But if I select 1280x768 I get a 1024x768 with the rest of image scrollable outside the screen area.

I have an ATI9800 and the only forcing options are for 720p and 1080p which doesnt give the right displey either.

Any help appreciated, I think I am going slighly mad.

16. fatty 99

fatty 99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    trumper 1

i have the same problem and i have a ati 800pro graphic card and i can only get 1024x768 through the dvi. if i put it on 1280x768 if does not fit the screen powerstrip is no good either, so im going to phone hitachi helpline on tuesday and i will let you know how it goes.

17. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmm, must be an ATI problem. As I said earlier I didn't need to go as far as using powerstrip, you can do it through the Nvidia forceware settings (in the advanced timings section) - you have to go in and type 1280 backwards (yes, backwards) for the horizontal setting and voila - perfect fit in DVI. However, this is only works for desktop, not in games, so I've given up on DVI now.
    My main issue was to have 2 screens set up that I could easily switch between - I still want to use my 19" CRT for dark games etc as it's vastly superior, for 'lighter' games and big screen thrills I use the 28" Hitachi - I've done it the following way:

I have my 19" mitsubishi CRT connected to the 6800GT's VGA port and the Hitachi connected via a vga lead which runs from the d-sub connection on the hitachi to a vga - dvi adapter thing which connects to the DVI port on the 6800GT. This works really well and it might be my imagination but I'm sure the picture is slightly better on the hitachi going through this adapter than just using normal vga - probably wishful thinking but looks really really good.

18. fatty 99

fatty 99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i phoned hitachi all i got was a muppet on the line who did not know what i was talking about.

wunkley

i think you are right about the ati problem cause there is no way to get the screen to fit. i have also tried the dvi adaptor it does seem a little bit sharper.

19. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you bought one then Fatty? What do you think of it for PC gaming and how have you got it set up?
    I'm really pleased with it now. I also have my gamecube connected (RGB scart) and it's pretty impressive. Toying with the idea of rigging up the xbox too but don't know if I can be bothered to do the whole component connection/ modding thing as it's a PAL one. Is it really worth the bother?

20. rp2000

rp2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have connected mine to a laptop, and it is outputting PES4 on the screen which looks amazing (lots of bright colours).

Is this considered HD gaming? The game is 1280*800. (There is a small crop of top and bottom edges but in this game it makes no difference).

rp2000

(ps has anyone had any dead/stuck pixels?)

21. fatty 99

fatty 99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wunkley

i bought it on friday,as for pc gaming,half life 2 looks
    brilliant in widescreen(1280x768 vga).my ps2,xbox(both pal)
    connected to rgb scart,i am very impressed with it.

as for moding the xbox,i would not bother now
    because xbox 2 is only round the corner,microsoft
    should announce release date at E3.

have you tried 1366x768 through vga,because
    in the hitachi set menu-vga mode you can put
    it in that res,but my ati driver does not support it
    but nvidia new drivers support it - let me know what it is like

fatty 99

22. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fatty

I was thinking the same thing, won't be long now til the next wave of next gen consoles, and the PAL versions will all be HD ready by default surely :lease: so I think I'll wait.
    Danger is you spend so long fiddling with everything you forget to actually play any bloody games.

I haven't tried 1366 x 768 no, will have to give it a go. I thought that as the default res of this screen is 1280 it's best to run at that (otherwise it looks blurry??)

23. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have given up on my ATI9800 and replaced it with an NVIDIA6600GT (£129 in PC World). Took 3 mins to sort out now have dvi full 1280x768 following the instructions earlier in this thread. Looks really nice. 10 out of 10 for NVIDIA. 0 out of 10 for ATI.

24. fatty 99

fatty 99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ,trumper1

can you get 1280x768 on the games or only desktop.

25. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I will try and let you know

26. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No, same problem. HL2 will only give the narrower screen

27. Wunkley

Wunkley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Annoying isn't it. Any LCD experts out there know why DVI doesn't work fully in games?
    Is it an LCD/ monitor/ hardware specific issue or a graphics card/ driver issue?

Hopefully it's just a graphics card driver issue thay can be resolve with future updates?....

28. fatty 99

fatty 99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wunkley

i did a search on thread (re-hitachi 28ld5200 advice please.)
    post 42,look it up ,tell me what you make of it.

29. fatty 99

fatty 99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did you ,look it up