1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 28LD5200 - Progressive Scan or not???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Orwella, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Orwella

Orwella

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I am about to buy a new LCD Tv. Can somebody please confirm if the Hitachi 28LD5200 supports progressive scan for DVD playback? I have read conflicting reports on the web.

much appreciated.

2. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There's a huge thread at the top of the page on this set already, mate...and yes, it does both PAL,NTSC and also 720p apparently.

3. KWP

KWP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 28LD5200 is undoubtedly a fabulous screen, unfortunately it doesn’t support 720p at 50Hz. :mad:

4. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    True according to the manual, but the US are broadcasting some of their HD material in 720/60.

Is it likely that the UK broadcasters will stick with 50Hz? Surely it would make sense to continue the trend that the US has started, after all, the transmissions don't have to be compatible with current PAL-only CRTs that will only run at 50 do they? Anyway, now HD is out and about, PAL and NTSC don't really apply any more for the material...

Also, as for HD material acquired off the Internet, using a PC and setting it to drive the vid card at a compatible res at 60Hz works a treat...stunning quality.

5. dogastus

dogastus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    According to what I have read on EBU standards, it looks like 720p/50 and 1080i/50 are the proposed standards.

I was so close to deciding on this set, but if it doesn't support what Sky may be dishing out in 2006 I may have to look elsewhere.

6. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, Sky may well have an option in their box to change signal outputted, perhaps?

Failing that, pump the Sky feed through a PC with an appropriate card+scaler to output to the display. By then it's likely I'll have a dedicated HTPC anyway that should be able to do this...

Best just to wait and see. I'm glad I got the Hitachi, and am just going to enjoy using it for regular Sky, DVD and WMV-HD/DivxHD via my PC for now...there's always something better round the corner. You just have to decide if you want to bother waiting longer or not. I didn't. :D