1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 28LD5200 + only 1 scart

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by max power, Apr 6, 2005.

1. max power

max power
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a complete novice to this whole interconnection malarkey and want some advice.
    I have always connected everything (Home Cinema, Sky) to my TV via the scart sockets.
    I am thinking of buying the Hitachi 28LD5200 but have noticed that it only has 1 scart connection. (plus s-video, component etc etc)
    My Home Cinema system has s-video (currently to scart) out so I suppose that I can connect to the tv via this but will this cause a lack of screen quality..?
    Or should I bite the bullet and by a new Home Cinema set up which has the component video option..?

Confused..? Understatement of the year..!!!

2. flangemonkey

flangemonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    You should really use RGB SCART as a minimum for decent picture quality.

Can you switch your Home Cinema system to output RGB over the SCART, this will be preferable to S-Video, certainly.

Other than that, yes, get a DVD player that can output component (there are lots of sub-£50 machines around). This (for the moment at least) will give you the best picture quality out of the Hitachi..

3. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    The Ld5200 series is not Sky HD compatible m8 so if you want that next year then you will need to wait for the LD7200 series that is about to arrive, on the connections side, DVI/HDMI is top, Component is Next, RGB Scart, then S-Video etc, if you are looking at a Hi-Def screen then it may be worthwhile going for a DVD player with HDMI or DVI, Samsungs 945 has HDMI, Denon 1910 has DVI if I recall correctly, both these players upscale current dvds to provide a better picture at 720P/1080i etc both players are around the £200 or less price bracket and the Samsung is reviewed in HCC this month.

Taz

4. max power

max power
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your replies guys.
    I have been looking at replacing my home cinema set up for a while now (SONY DAVS800) and now it looks as though I should be doing that sooner rather than later.
    This system does not have a scart connection (I use a s-video to scart connection) so am not sure if this can be switched or not.
    I checked the Hitachi site for HD compatability and saw this:
    Connections

Connector RGB1 (digital) 24-pin DVI (1.0V+HDCP)

I assumed that meant it was compatible (??).
    Although to be honest, it wouldn't be the first site that has the specs all wrong.

Will the LD7200 series be coming out in a 28" version..?

5. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    The DVI is HDCP compliant, but the LCD does not do 720P@50Hz which is needed for SKy HD m8, lot of plasma's/LCD's etc are falling in price due to this very fact, the LD7200 may be available in 28" not sure yet, the 32" is due this month, the 28" should be soon just waiting to hear,

Taz

6. max power

max power
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All becoming a bit more clear now. :)
    So, if I've got approx £800-£900 to spend and am only looking for 28" max (not the biggest room unfortunately), do you have any recommendations..?

Cheers.

7. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I think the Sharp LC26GA4 around the £800 ish price mark, is what other people seem to recommend, I have a Tevion 27" LCD from Aldi £599, this is a true 16:9 screen unlike the Hitachi 28Ld5200, to find out if the screen your looking at is a 16:9 or a 15:9 look at the Res of the Screen, 1280x768 is 15:9 some people find the people on TV look thin or stretched, 1366x768 or 1280x720 is 16:9 there are a lot of screens out there in your price bracket, it depends if you want a True HD ready one, this makes things a little more difficult as they need to do 720P@50Hz for Sky HD next year, if you don't want this then your choice is more wider.

Taz

8. max power

max power
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers Taz.
    I've had a bit of a think about it and I don't think the SKY HD issue is something for me to worry about really.
    So I've decided to bite the bullet and get the LD5200.

Thanks for your help. :smashin:

9. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Max, if you do go for the Hitachi, goto John Lewis and get them to do a price match against Richersounds for £799 and get the 5yr warranty free, if you are near Bristol, you can have mine which is reserved at Cribbs branch as I dont want it anymore

Taz

10. max power

max power
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Taz.
    I went into JL in Reading a couple of days ago yet they did not have any in stock and said they weren't getting any more in.
    So I ended up in RS last night with my credit card at the ready and 10 minutes later was the new owner of a brand new tv.
    Now all I need to do is play with all the settings in order to get the best possible picture. That will probably take me all week.
    Thanks heaps for the offer though. :smashin:

Cheers,
    Max