hit and run will reporting it do more harm than good?

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was parked in a diy stores car park came out with my shopping and someone had reversed into my car and drove off. luckily someone was there noted the reg down and gave me their details as a witness the store also had CCTV of the incident. now i reported it to the police i doubt they will do anything they also told me to ring my insurer so i did. the offending car was insured so they said it would be a no fault claim and i wont have to pay anything.

my question is can i expect my insurance premium to go up next year even if its not my fault? and if i shop about will i have to declare yes to that "have you claimed in the last 3 years box" ?

i was parked in a diy stores car park came out with my shopping and someone had reversed into my car and drove off. luckily someone was there noted the reg down and gave me their details as a witness the store also had CCTV of the incident. now i reported it to the police i doubt they will do anything they also told me to ring my insurer so i did. the offending car was insured so they said it would be a no fault claim and i wont have to pay anything.

my question is can i expect my insurance premium to go up next year even if its not my fault? and if i shop about will i have to declare yes to that "have you claimed in the last 3 years box" ?

I'm in a similar situation. Stationary at a roundabout after allowing an ambulance past and then a van gave me a little bit of a love tap. My FIL (retired motor cop) thankfully informed me that it is a certain category of incident, a no blame incident ( or something of the such ) and as his insurance admitted fault and paid for the lot so our no claims wasn't affected. However, insurance companies think that if you are involved in a no fault accident you're more likely to be in a fault accident, so the premiums will probably go up, but could potentially be balanced out by the extra year no claims.

Not what I want to hear as a 23 year old! Hope your motor gets sorted!

Someone went up the back of me in 2011. My premium did not increase as a result.

I kind of wish i hadnt reported it now as the parts will likely cost less than the rise in my insurance premiums.

i just felt so angry that they drove off

As gg said yes and yes. I had a no fault claim and premium still went up and u have to declare it for 3 or 5 years when u renew (assuming u change insurance company each year)

Is there no repercussions for her driving off?

i reported it to the police i doubt they will do anything
Leaving the scene of an "accident" where damage is caused is treated seriously, even if your car was unattended. It's quite likely she will get a notice of intent to prosecute.

Someone drove into me last year and wrote my car off. It's made no difference at all to my premium.

Is there no repercussions for her driving off?

Leaving the scene of an "accident" where damage is caused is treated seriously, even if your car was unattended. It's quite likely she will get a notice of intent to prosecute.
I don't believe OP has confirmed in their posts that the hit & run driver was female. Are you both assuming the driver was female? :nono:

:p;)

i did say someone because like i said i dont know who did it as i was in the store

* Looking forward to the response *

"Guilty as charged"

However, I'm going to pass the buck, because the post before mine said "her", so I regrettably assumed that we knew the gender of the fender bender offender.

"Guilty as charged"

However, I'm going to pass the buck, because the post before mine said "her", so I regrettably assumed that we knew the gender of the fender bender offender.

Don't know how but I knew that was coming :D

So the blame lies squarely and fairly with @Fat_Tony :laugh:

What do you have to say for yourself young man?:nono::p

I'm guilty of the error. I based it on the post before mine. That's a reason, not an excuse :p

Happy to share the guilt with Tony :D

yeah thats kind of why i think the police wont do anything thats the first thing they said we dont know whos driving.

yeah thats kind of why i think the police wont do anything thats the first thing they said we dont know whos driving.
That doesn't mean they won't contact the registered owner with a notice of intent.

Quoted from another site:

"Namechanged as desperately scared and ashamed.

I bumped into a car at a service station (very gently - whilst reversing) - and as I saw no damage I went off. When I got back and saw the scrape on my car, I assumed that what damage there was, was on my car. Nonetheless I thought I might here more about it but could do nothing in the meantime. Now I've collected mail from my old address (moved a couple of months ago) and found letters from the police as well as insurers. I'm being threatened with prosecution and am totally terrified. If I had thought there was any damage I would not have gone away - I am just not that kind of person. Plus there was CCTV everywhere so I hardly thought I was going to try and 'get away with it' - I honestly thought there was no damage at the time.

Scared out of my mind - now stand accused of dangerous driving and leaving the scene of an accident. Visions of prison and Christ knows what. I WOULD NOT HAVE LEFT IF I HAD SEEN ANY DAMAGE. I wish I'd checked more closely. Please let me know if I it's likely I will go to prison for this. I am petrified."

With cases like this, I always wonder why they can't be charged with a 'perverting the course of justice' charge?
The husband & wife both admit they were in the vehicle, but both say they didn't do it & refuse to reveal who was driving. Surely that's perverting the course of justice isn't it?
Perverting the course of justice is an offence committed when a person prevents justice from being served on him/herself or on another party.

It was indeed me, and completely intentional. I threw it out there...

I've tried similar before on Facebook but nobody noticed.

I'm quite sad in the fact that I usually laugh at my own nonsense far more than anyone else does.

I honestly can't believe that people allow their premiums to go up every year at all. If I had a no-fault accident and declared it to my current insurance company and then stayed with them after renewal, I'd probably expect my premiums to go up - however, I've never stayed with the same company year on year. I shop around every year, and always find a cheaper deal than last year.

The only time premiums go up (ime) is when people are loyal to their insurance provider. Which is crazy imo, you think they're loyal to us?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom