1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

History of the LG's MZ-42PZ10/14/17

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by House, Jan 9, 2003.

1. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi considering the Samsung PS-42P2SBX or LG MZ-42PZ*.

Am looking to buy with tuner, stand and speakers as provided by Curry's.

The Samsung is £2700 the LG £3000. The LG model is the '10' one.
    Can anyone tell me what changes were made from 10 to 14 to 17 on the LG ?

As I require tuner and all the kit these are my only options and I want to get the best one.

Thanks.

2. Paul Fraser

Paul Fraser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Comet have just restocked the 14 for the same price as Currys are doing the 10.

3. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about 10-14, but the MZ17 has improved contrast and brightness specs over both previous models . . . I've only seen Richer Sounds with stock of the MZ17 so far though

4. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From my limited knowledge I would say that between the 10 & 14 their is very little difference, as the specs are the the same as far as I can see, however I believe the 17 has a higher contrast ratio(?) which if I understand correctly the higher the better!

I personally have a 14, which I am quite pleased with. Only quite pleased because Sky can be hard to watch sometimes due to artifacts, etc which I believe are more to do with the Quality of Picture sent by Sky than the Plasma! On the DVD side of things I have just ordered a Prog Scan DVD (the Limit FYI!) as having been well impressed by the picture quality I can get when connecting my laptop to the Plasma and using WinDVD, it makes me think that the LG likes a little help ;o).

Hope this makes some sort of sense and is of some help,

Gant.

5. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think that the LG 10 & 17 model are primarily designated as commercial displays and the 14 model as a consumer display.

I have the Model 17 supplied by Richer Sounds (which also supplies the interface board to provide component, composite & s-video inputs) and have been very happy with it for the two days I have owned it! :D

I have sky connected by the composite connections which is the worst connection I could use until my JS Tech converter turns up, and the picture is perfectly watchable although not great.

I also purchased one of the Limit 9900SE DVD players and have been pleased with the Prog Scan output on NTSC discs, be warned though...the LG does not do PAL Prog Scan...:(

On the whole....I am very happy with the LG model 17......looks good, gives a pretty damn good picture (not quite Panny & Pio standards tho) and saved me at least £1000 on the only panels I consider to provide a better picture.

In my opinion, the LG is superior to the Sammy......if you are going the RS route, the Sammy provided by them does not have component inputs and you cannot add the external tuner which is only provided by the model supplied by Dixons etc.

If you are looking at buying the LG with Tuner, Stand & Speakers...take a trip down to your local Powerhouse showroom as well, they are doing the LG model 14 with the tuner, stand & speakers for £2999. I think they are doing offering some form of interest free period as well (or at least I could have got it when I was there...cant remember if it was being offered as standard or I asked for it)

Hope that helps,

Kirk

6. Bleach

Bleach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the 17 yesterday at Richer Sounds and the picture was very good and for £2400, it's a bit of a bargain!
    They've got the 10 and 13 in their sale for £1999!!
    Like Kirk said though, it doesn't do ProgScan on PAL discs (Which the sales people didnt realise!!! :blush: )
    I personally bought the 5 series Panny, but the LGs well worth a look.

7. BIONIC MAN

BIONIC MAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Kirk

I'am also looking into getting the LG Plasma along with the
    Limit 9900se dvd player .

Could you advise how good the picture is on the Limit 9900se using component on Pro Scan on usa disc ? ? , is it as good as the Toshiba players ? ? ,

One last thing also does the Limit player output true Pal Pro Scan ,

Thanks

:D

8. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    House; where did you see the Samsung for £2.7K? Was it the whole package? All my local DSG's are still asking £3K even though I though post-Christmas it might get a price-cut! :(

I must admit that I am reconsidering Samsung over the LG right now (check my thread for some interesting posts from Kirk and the like), but if there is a further saving of £300 on the Samsung well...

Also, Kirk; I didn't know that the Tuner was exclusive to DSG - that explains why I have been unable to price one up for my own package build when I discovered the panel-only option was £2.2 from RS!

9. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Curry's in Lakeside Thurrock was (still are ?) doing the Samsung deal for £2700.

Still not sure what to go for. As on original post I want all the nits not just a screen. The curry's prices are good but I do need to decide on Samsung or Lg14.

Anyoen any other comments / advice to help me make my mind up.

I am fairly sure if it was a choice between Samsung and LG17 I'd go LG...............fairly sure....................not sure.

10. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Bionic Man

- The Limit performs well on component outputs either interlaced or prog scan. I use Prog Scan at the moment and it's pretty darn good! I have not seen the toshes in action to be honest, but I have probably read the threads on this forum that you have and am not worried.

- The Limit CAN output prog scan on either PAL or NTSC no problems, however I a=conect to the LG PZ17 which can't cope with PAL Prog Scan..... no biggie.......the interlaced signal is the nuts anyway! :D

- Something that I will be trying in the next day or 2 is setting the Limit to output ALL discs as NTSC Prog Scan, this will get me around the LG limitation...however...I am not worried if this works or not. (by that, I mean if the picture looks okay....I know that the Limit can actually DO this, it just may look pants)

When I bought the Limit, I thought I would just keep it for a couple of months until some more decent prog scan players are on the market......it's performance has changed my mind.....it will need to be a seriously good player at a great price to convince me to spend more money again for a while.

TP2K

- Hmmm where to start on this one..........

- Like you I was heading down the sammy road from RS (I even got told in November that I COULD get an external samsung tuner, but RS could not supply it due to the scarcity of them, if I wanted it, I would need to go direct to Samsung).

- I decided to check out this information with Samsung themselves and have got to admit...their support chaps are frigging useless....Samsung could not tell me how the External tuner connects and if an external even exists that could connect to the RS Panel!!!! They passed me to their recommended distributers.

- After the third attempt, the following information transpired:

1) The Sammy packaged offered by Dixons is exclusive to them, the external tuner provided by them connects via a DVI connection (the RS panel has VGA in lieu) and the tuner box then has a VGA port on it in place of being on the Panel itself)

2) The Sammy panel can be bought without the external tuner, but Samsung make no Tuner that will connect to those panels.

3) Samsung have / are about to release a plasma panel which has the tuner BUILT IN to the panel.

I advised all people I spoke to that Samsungs website stipulates that an optional accessory is the external tuner (or STB) ...apparently the website is cobblers and all samsungs main dealers keep advising them of this.

Samsungs UK website is a butchering of the specs from America/Japan and subsequently has erroneous details for the products on offer in our marketplace.

Reading between the lines....if you can cope with the connectivity of the RS Samsung Panel itself, then great..if not....then ditch it....otherwise you will need to go down the Pro V type road for connectivity solutions.

I would also suspect the Panel with the Tuner built in will be more expensive as importing TV's rather than Monitors attracts higher taxation I believe.
    :mad:

I also came to the conclusion that if I was having so much trouble getting accurate information on the Samsung B4 I owned it, then I would be worried about getting issues AFTER I had it installed.

Anyway...there are obviously plenty of happy sammy owners out there..but I suspect they have the Package deal...i.e. Plasma & External tuner solutions.

In my instance....the RS Samsung which as an on board Scart, would have been easy to setup with my existing DVD, but would have resulted in an average image, I needed to try and deliver a component Prog Scan image to get the best out of the panel...and that would not have been possible for me without getting something like a Pro V external scaler.

Sorry about the rambling nature of these posts...but I am trying to dump everything I learned out here so that you know everything I could find out about these panels.

Regards,

Kirk

11. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kirk,

Again thanks for the "ramblings" - or in my opinion, the informed comments! There are some good issues here; I too found Samsung HQ unhelpful - they seemed to know little about their Plasma product when I called just before Christmas - but I put down to consumer-Plasma being fairly new. It now seems otherwise! :eek:

As I stated on another post, I was quite pleased with the Samsung delivery of a DVD source and I think if I can find the package deal as House did for £2.7K, then it would sway me.

Reading up on the LG; sure it sounds a better display, but as a relative 'technical' newbie I am very slightly leaning to the thinking that I may be safer to invest in the one-pack solution.

Thanks again for all the info - from everyone - very much appreciated! :)

12. Kirk

Kirk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi TP2K!

I think I should apologise...I have been trying to advise you of the issues that I encountered while I was entertaining the Samsung myself and I have been largly negative.

Can I just explain that I am not negative about the Samsung as such as display panel (although to my eye, the LG, Panny & Pio give better picture results), but I am extremely down on the level of service Samsung themselves could offer and the level and type of connectivity that the "bare bones" Sammy panel offers.

Upon reading one of your other threads, I see that you bias for the plasma panel would be more in the vain of a traditional "TV"...in which case my experiences are less but not altogether important for you.

My firm belief tho, is that you should try and demo the LG with a decent connection from the external tuner boxes...take your own leads if necessary as almost always the shops set them up with composite cables which is never flattering.

The LG & Samsung are both easily available for £3000 as Panel/Tuner/Speaker/Pedestal packages from High Street Electrical Centres.

Again...sorry...I don't mean to influence your decision...just empty my brain for you to read and take onboard or dismiss as appropriate.

Kirk:blush:

13. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    House; I spoke with my local DSG today and they confirmed the price of the Sammy was still £3K. Can I ask you; did you see the Sammy marked up at £2.7K or was it a salesman "offer" for you personally? If I can get the package at that price it will sway me to part wiv me cash pronto!

I did try and ring Lakeside to confirm and hopefully get a mtch down my neck of the woods, but they are less than efficient with the telephone answering! :cool:

15. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    TP2K, I must apologise to you - and anyone else I mislead.

The price is actually £2999. I had somehow conviced my self that I had read £2699 when I was there (My wife thought this too) but having just returned from the store it is a pound shy of £3000 as is the LG.

Which still leaves us with the decision -
    Samsung PS-42P2SBX or LG MZ-42PZ14 ??????

How can speding three grand be this hard.

16. big.hal

big.hal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then again if you have got Sky or cable you don't need a tuner box, or get a cheaper 3rd party version. There a quite a few about.

17. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    House; no problem - at least I got the answer (I perhaps didn't want) in the end! Bit of a shame though since I was definately buying at £2.7K if it was available!

Funny thing though, I went (for the fourth time) to Curry's to buy this plasma this afternoon, and for the second time convinced myself that it was too big (it seems massive in the 'flesh'). Despite my home-measuring and deciding it will fit OK, I walked away - AGAIN!

Then, I got home, looked at my trust 28" Wega and immediately thought it's not too big!

TP2K + Plasma = Blond Moments! :confused:

- does anyone out there have a stand mounted 42" plasma in a 16m2 room? Is it oversized ya think? :clown:

18. House

House

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I know how u feel. I have been to Curry's at least 5 times to 'Look'. I'm at the point where I Am annoying myself now so who knows what everyone else thinks :confused:

19. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This is going to be a bit of a rant so please bear with me.

I bought Samsung Plasma at the beginning of this month from RS and have been very happy with it. However at the beginning of last week the screen began to cut out as if going into stand by mode (But not).

There were no other problems with the screen and I was more than happy with the quality and performance of the set.

I rang up RS and they put me through to Stelgis their suppliers. I spoke to a very helpful engineer who explained the set had a faulty "Wire Driver" no idea what this but apparently it regulates power to the screen and needed to be replaced.

No problem the new screen was with me by the end of the week (Thursday - great service) and I installed it on Saturday. However all was not well with the replacement screen. Although it did not cut out the picture quality of the replacement was nothing like the original, the biggest problem being a very irritating "Flicker effect" with faint bands phasing down the screen (particularly evident on solid colours and at the edge of the screen)

I again spoke to RS and Stelgis and the same engineer confirmed that he believed this set to be DOA also (A loose connection inside he felt was the cause of the picture distortion).

I got talking to him and told him I was thinking of getting a different screen. Something costing even £2000 has to be two strikes and you are out surely ?

I said I was thinking of the New LG at £2500 or maybe even £2999 for the latest Toshiba. This is proposed to be the same screen basically as the new Panny and most people on this forum and in fact everywhere agree that this is the best set available but at a price.

Now I must say he seemed like a nice chap and I definitely trust what he was saying. He services and repairs these things at one of the biggest distributors in the country and he obviously knows his stuff. He said that in 4 months he had only had back 4 Samsung sets (including what will soon be two from me). This out of over 1000 that has gone through their company in this period (So he says).

He said that personally he though it was a good set picture and build quality wise especially for the money. I asked him what he thought about the Tosh and the LG. He said the Tosh is a great set but only comes with a one-year warranty. (Although I would get two-year extension for £250 from RS as I have with the Sammy).

He reckons that these sets are not that serviceable - anything goes wrong with the screen panel itself and it is for the bin.

I was really keen on the new LG model. I was not impressed with their old models having compared them with the Sammy in a number of locations (AMC cinemas / Curries etc).

However their new set seems to have good write ups, Decent Contrast of apparently 1000 on the consumer model (Brightness 750) and is proposed to be the best budget model available at the moment.

Shock. He refused to be drawn to comment much on the new LG. He said he has been "Exceptionally disappointed" with both the build and picture quality of the LG panels including the new screen.

His closing comment was "I can’t really discuss it but put it this way I would rather have a CRT set than an LG".

Oh dear. Now I know a few people on this board have these sets so for god’s sake get you opinions down quick. I am going down to RS at lunch with my mate who has a 42" Panny armed with a load of Dvds to demo this set properly in their viewing room (I always judge for myself whatever people say).

LG owners input is must appreciated as I thought this set would be an option or should I just blow the budget and get the Tosh? I thought I knew my stuff (to an extent) but have a crisis of confidence now having talked to this guy !