History at Amazon for High Def - Best selling film is in high def

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Pecker, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    This is being covered in a small way at the 'Transformers' thread, but I really thought it was such a shocker that it deserved its own thread.

The Transformers HD DVD is now number 4 at Amazon, 10 places above its SD counterpart.

Pretty impressive. But wait, there's more.

Number 1 is the 3rd series of 'Grey's Anatomy', number 2 is the third series of 'The Office', and number 3 is the first series of 'Heroes'.

They're all TV series.

This means that, for the first time ever, the best selling film at Amazon is in high def.

REJOICE!

Steve W

2. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,684
    Tis pretty amazing but I'm wondering just how significant this is.

Is it just a case of all the HD owners being on the ball early and getting those pre orders in.

Shirley, by the time the street date comes, the DVD will have sold 10 times as many copies on Amazon?

Anyone know what the biggest HD DVD selling title yet is?

300 is the biggest overall HD seller I assume but not sure on HD DVD specific.

Probably safe to say that Transformers will become the best HD DVD seller but can it become the best HD seller. That would be nice:devil:

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Transformers could beat 300's total (both formats), the number of players will more than double in the last quarter.

4. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,612
    Yes, the SD will have sold more. But don't call me Surely. Hey, hang on a minute! :D

I'm not making any greater claims for this particular statistic than just what it is at face value, but I thought that was a big enough milestone in itself.

Well, my own personal theory is that most high def owners have both formats. In other words, if I'm correct, if '300' had come out only on one format, it'd have sold almost as many copies just in HD DVD or just in BD.

If 'Transformers' sells anything like as well as '300', but only on the one format, that'll pretty much prove the point.

It'll also put the onus on Warner to choose one format. They currently justify dual formatism by saying they sell far more. If they'd sell just as many (or nearly as many) on one format, they'll be under pressure to stop the relatively expensive practice of releasing on two formats.

Steve W

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,408
    Wow, have to admit I'm surprised - but delighted as well :thumbsup:

I can't help but think that 10 years from now people will look back and say the high def revolution started with Transformers!